KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PrimeGrid 2015 Challenge Series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: PrimeGrid 2015 Challenge Series Reply with quote

Time for a new year and challenge. Looks like an interesting year.

Code:
Date                    Time UTC     Project(s)                   Challenge                        Duration
3-11 January            18:00        SOB-LLR/PSP-LLR/ESP-LLR      Year of the Sheep Challenge      8 days
15-20 March             07:41        SR5-LLR                      Solar Eclipse Challenge          5 days
23 April - 1 May        18:00        GFN-WR/GFN-Short             World Expo Challenge             8 days
12-15 June              18:00        SOB/PSP/ESP-Sieve            PrimeGrid Birthday Challenge     3 days
10-12 August            18:00        TRP-Sieve                    Perseid Shower Challenge         2 days
10-15 September         18:00        CUL-LLR                      Reign Record Challenge           5 days
4-7 October             18:00        TRP-LLR                      World Animal Day Challenge       3 days
12-17 November          18:00        SGS-LLR                      Leonids Shower Challenge         5 days
19-22 December          04:48        PPS-Sieve                    Winter Solstice Challenge        3 days

Let's see if we can make 2015 a great challenge year for the team.
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My plan for the Year of the Sheep Challenge starting 3-JAN, I plan on running my 2 slower boxes, the C2Q and I7 first gen on ESP, my two I7 third and my I7 forth gen on PSP. I will not be running SOB. If near the end the PSP will take too long but I may be able to finish some ESP on the faster boxes, I will drop it down to those.

As a side note, I am working on getting minimum the Cyan badge in all BOINC PG projects this year. Depending how fast I can do that I may tackle some PSA for a while and get that badge moved up.

Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting tomorrow 3-JAN at 18:00UTC (13:00 EST, 12:00 CST, 10:00 PST) is the Year of the Sheep challenge for 8 days/192 hours.

You can run any of the 3 following units for credit:

SOB-LLR - Older CPUs will not finish in time, you will most likely need at least a GEN 2 or newer of I7 to get at least one done per physical core, do not run hyper-threaded
Recent average CPU time: 297:02:59
This project has a 50% long job credit bonus and a 10% conjecture credit bonus.

PSP-LLR
Recent average CPU time: 138:29:15
This project has a 35% long job credit bonus and a 10% conjecture credit bonus.

ESP-LLR - Perfect for those old Core 2 systems and even Pentiums.
Recent average CPU time: 16:16:44
This project has a 10% long job credit bonus and a 10% conjecture credit bonus.

Even though I have those fast machines, I am also working for the Turquoise badges so SOB already has enough pending to make that, so my fast machines will run PSP (probably 2 per physical core), then move to ESP to finish out the remaining hours. My older boxes will sit on ESP the whole time and pump out probably 11-12 per physical CPU during the challenge.

Can we make this year a banner year for KWSN!? I'd love to see us better ourselves over last year.
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one machine on it. Forgot to start the other one before I left for work this morning and one that had no 32 bit compatibilities (I need to just sit down and work through making a vm for it). I'll have the second machine on it tonight depending on whehter I game tonight.
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been pushing these, this year. So far two regular BOINC challenges have been 11 for the one in January and 7 for the one in March. I will continue to do the challenges and hope others do too. Most of the same people seem to do them.

Since the first two challenges will have pretty long clean up times, there will be no final numbers for a while. Currently as a team we made 18th in January and 14th in March. Somewhat on par with how we did last year when I was pushing for us to do these.

April will be a GPU heavy version for the challenge, since it's GFN for 8 days. The other GPU month will be December with PPS-Sieve.

I am working on making my CPU badges higher at PG. Currently have several in the Cyan, but need to still get 7 plus PSA there. Looking to have this finished by end of summer or before. Then I will look at what else I want to work on. Maybe the next color badge or maybe taking my first star of WU Prop up the the light green stage, who knows.

Hope everyone's year is going well so far and shrub on!
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been pimping challenges for PG this year like in the past, but the next challenge can be a huge in standings, with it being the GFN one. This year they are putting all the points into the same basket, instead of running separate WR and Short. So, if you can fire up the GPUs on some WR to start out with (if you have fast enough cards), and fire up the CPUs on short. Then switch the GPU to short, on most cards after the first WR is downloaded, because most take more than 4 days and the challenge is only 8 days.

Let's rock this challenge!
Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR ones are long....even on my good card. Not going to happen here

Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh! I forgot my crippled NVidia cards cannot complete a WR in under 8 days, so I lost nearly 15 hours of crunching that could have went to short units (and maybe even had been close to finishing the first one by then).

Oh well, now everything is rolling. Looks like I will do 2 CPU shorts per AVX/FMA core x 12 and unsure the number of GPU ones I will get done, currently.

William007 is sure doing a nice job pushing out units. Currently only Knight to be in the list and in the top 20.
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down my big producer. Replacement will be here today though so hopefully I can get some having at it done. I don't think I will have the old one fixed in time for this one. Next year will be a whole different story though with at least two of them whooping on it.

#ni-1
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess I won't be much help this time around. Got the new card. After the driver is installed it reboots and crashes with a bunch of red dots and dashes during the startup. reseated, cables changed. No joy. Forums suggest the most likely problem is faulty vram. Crying or Very sad
Plomos
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cpu's say they will take ~11 days each to finish these units, which i realize does not help with the challenge but I may just let them run to get the points, unless the cores are needed elsewhere more.

JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plomos wrote:
My cpu's say they will take ~11 days each to finish these units, which i realize does not help with the challenge but I may just let them run to get the points...

ditto for me: Looks like cpu WU's will take 9 days and won't finish in time, but it did give me a second WUProp star and hopefully I'll get some Prime Grid points as well.
GPU is too old even though it is double precision, (HD4870 ati/AMD), No help for the challenge however. Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: