KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WoW! 2014 >> August 15th -29th
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a Team ... KWSN has held the 3rd position through out the 2014 Wow!
A few Knights had to slow the shrubbers and a few Knights are not sure whether to shrub the SETI or not. (maybe they dropped their coconuts)
Congrats to all you TOP producers and your efforts to keep charging full speed ahead through the Field of Battle.
More Congrats to the Big Bottom half of the Supporting Knights that are pushing hard from rearward formations. SHRUB ON!
We are in a slight danger of ending in a position 1 under the 3rd position currently held. (That number is a "Shall Not Count" number that would be severely disgraceful.)
ngb:setiteam has been gaining on us at around 10,000 credits per hour ... TIME TO DEPLOY THE HOLY HAND-GRENADES OF ANTIOCH

And if you have a shrubber available and were not able to register earlier, your help would be appreciated. Registration is open. #ni-1

branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone (well, except me - I already used it) can deploy Free trial in Microsoft Azure Cloud computing - you will get 150 EUROs (200 USD / 120 GBP) OR 1 month worth of free computing (whatever comes sooner) #Onfire

Join it (Credit / Debit Card information required, but don't worry - after your trial finishes, MS just deactivate it, so you will not be charged a dime), set up Virtual Machines. You can set up up to 20 CPU cores, so go with Ubuntu 14.04 2x Extra Large (A4) instances - 2x8 cores and 1x Large (A3) instance - 4 cores (OK, not cores, but threads).

When all 3 instances are set up, you need to connect to them via SSH. If you are using Mac OS X, you can do this via Terminal. If you are using Windows, you have to download and install PuTTy.

Connect to your VM's using command ssh -p 22 azureuser@AS-YOU-STATED-DNS-FOR-EACH-VM.cloudapp.net

After connecting to your VM (one-by-one), type:
sudo apt-get install boinc-client and press Enter

Type "y" or "yes" for every request during installation

When installation finishes, type:
boinccmd --project_attach http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/ YOUR S@H WEAK KEY and press Enter

You can find your S@H weak key here

Keep shrubbing #ni-2

ETA: after WOW finishes, you can use it for other project (it will last approximately 9.5 days).

ETA2: another free trial Cloud computing is DigitalOcean. It is only 1-core instance, but is it quite fast (faster than my i7-3770 and i5-2500S, at least for WCG). I just moved it to Seti@Home.

To receive Free trial (worth 10 USD), you have to put Promo Code during registration. Current Promo Code is SHIPITFAST. Then you have 2 possibilities: (1) give them your Credit/Debit Card details, or (2) pay 5 USD via PayPal. 1 month of shrubbing is for 5 USD, so with your Free trial you can shrub 2 months. If you chose not to give them CC/DC details and to pay 5 USD via PayPal (as I did), it will be 3 months of shrubbing on 1 CPU core.

The rest is the same: connect via SSH, install sudo apt-get install boinc-client and connect to Seti@Home boinccmd --project_attach http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/ YOUR S@H WEAK KEY

Last edited by branjo on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the gasses we are passing continuously in everyone's general direction, 4 days and 21 hours prior the end of 2014 WoW we passed 2013 WoW total credits

To paraphrase the classic:
Quote:
Congrats to all you TOP producers and your efforts to keep charging full speed ahead through the Field of Battle.
More Congrats to the Big Bottom half of the Supporting Knights that are pushing hard from rearward formations.

Cheers guys and gals #Beer

JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless we get some help from Knights with shrubbers pointed elsewhere... we will most likely end with a 4th place TEAM finish Sad
ElricM of the ngb:setiteam is putting out 800,000 per day by himself.
They will overtake us before the end of the challenge.

Still, we have had 131 Knights contribute to the cause and that is Quite Something to be proud of. #alien
Bullocks
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last few days I have suffered from slow hanging WU's but the cure and a definite production increase was simple. Even if you are a "Sir Robin "The Run Away" brave, like myself, install and run the Seti optimised apps. No more hangers and a definite increase in crunching.

So if any haven't yet switched I will say it really was simple, thrust me, where I am concerned it needs to be that way!

http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12066

PS And it is FREE. You can't get better than that!
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JumpinJohnny wrote:
Unless we get some help from Knights with shrubbers pointed elsewhere... we will most likely end with a 4th place TEAM finish Sad
ElricM of the ngb:setiteam is putting out 800,000 per day by himself.
They will overtake us before the end of the challenge.

Still, we have had 131 Knights contribute to the cause and that is Quite Something to be proud of. #alien

It is not that bad so far - we lost only 100K credits of our advantage in last day. The last hour: KWSN 47.8K credits, ngb:setiteam 46.4K credits. We still rock (and roll of course) #ni-1

JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

branjo wrote:

It is not that bad so far - we lost only 100K credits of our advantage in last day. The last hour: KWSN 47.8K credits, ngb:setiteam 46.4K credits. We still rock (and roll of course) #ni-1

Yes. We are back to holding our own. It looked serious Sunday night...
But if we continue to gather the shrubbery as we have today, we may finish a respectable 3rd TEAM. That's as high as I care to count. #ni-2
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all available shrubbery engaged, 20 cores and 2 GPU's. I probably need some newer shrubbers, though.

(older, before split CPID)
dallasanonymous
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:41 pm    Post subject: Well Azure was giving me the runaround Reply with quote

I tried it with firefox and the microsoft browser. And got nowhere. Sad
I will try it again later...

Being this is the first time I joined a event. I was looking at cpu's and playing with over clocking. But never got much of anywhere. I would have been better off beating my computer with a dead frozen herring. Mad
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Well Azure was giving me the runaround Reply with quote

dallasanonymous wrote:
..... I was looking at cpu's and playing with over clocking. But never got much of anywhere. I would have been better off beating my computer with a dead frozen herring. Mad

Looks to me like you did fine. Everyone appreciates your contribution.
The herring will fit nicely in a pci slot as long as you don't overclock your coconuts to the point of ignition.
also: The new Lunatics Optimizers seem to work pretty well >>
http://www.arkayn.us/forum/ has them for download.
Let us know if you get the trick figured out for the Azure thang. I wasn't able to set it in motion either.
Something about Unladen African Swallows? #ni-1
branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

121 in ValPen and growing #Mad

branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Well Azure was giving me the runaround Reply with quote

JumpinJohnny wrote:
Let us know if you get the trick figured out for the Azure thang. I wasn't able to set it in motion either.

In which step do you have a problem setting it?

The most common problems:

- Username for all people setting up Free trial is azureuser
- DNS is the one you stated during setting up your Virtual machine (OK, 3 if you set up 3 VM's)
- Port for SSH is 22

#ni-2

Blurf
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winding down on this.....

JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info on the Azure, Branjo.
I'll try it again on another challenge.

Great to have you there Blurf. What an astounding result we had!
Over 14 Million credits for KWSN and over 150 thousand were yours! (You made it to Top 25 Knights) Cool

Though fianal numbers are still 36 hours away ...
KWSN set new marks for ourselves averaging over 44,000 credits per hour.
We had more TEAM members contributing credits than any other TEAM and will finish at a quite respectable 3rd place TEAM. #ni-1

Bullocks
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JumpinJohnny wrote:

We had more TEAM members contributing credits than any other TEAM and will finish at a quite respectable 3rd place TEAM. #ni-1

That says a lot about this team and it's old timers #Beer . You folks rock. Though many other major teams have fallen, and new teams rise and crash meteorically at times, KWSN has remained a major player and attractive choice(Thank you Monty Python as well)

Take a bow folks, you deserve it.

PS Does ElricM know Michael Moorcock was a Python fan(Well he might have been) Just poaching ahead. Smile
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullocks wrote:
JumpinJohnny wrote:

That says a lot about this team and it's old timers #Beer . You folks rock. Though many other major teams have fallen, and new teams rise and crash meteorically at times, KWSN has remained a major player and attractive choice(Thank you Monty Python as well)

Take a bow folks, you deserve it.

PS Does ElricM know Michael Moorcock was a Python fan(Well he might have been) Just poaching ahead. Smile

#Beer

branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 369 KaNI!ghts with credits today (total 1,856,255) and 450 with credits last week (total 11,116,985) - I am looking forward to seeing even more of us in WoW 2015

Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Shrubbing WoW earned me a top 1% average credit badge.

Shocked

(older, before split CPID)
LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAWESOME!

You inspired me to check and I moved up from 25% to

gwpjr
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I moved up to the top 1% badge. Go figure!?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: