KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shrubber needs good home

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Shrubber needs good home Reply with quote

House broken Athlon 64 x2 5600+

3 GB Ram

No hard drive/DVD drive.

Runs on 32 GB flash drive with Fedora 19.

Just pay for the shipping and it's yours.

Not really a lap shrubber but you can try and coax it.

Very quiet, won't wake you in the middle of the night wanting food.

Has all its shots.

Needs a new CMOS battery, will take care of that shortly.

#ni-2
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Yankton, I'd be happy to add it to my hodge-podge of PCs here
Care to check out fees for a zip of 72631? Now if anybody else has
a more crucial need, don't hesitate to share your booty with them, Arrrr!
I'd guess somewhere like $30 or $40? Let me know...
I have extra CMOS Batteries, Drives, lotta stuff, so I'd just need the
Tower...

Phast-Garry Shocked

Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty then. Give it a couple of days to knock out those 321 units I was using to stress test and I'll figure out a box and some packing and see what goin' postal can give me for a rate. Only thing it actually needs is the battery, CR2032 - if you have those I'll stop looking (I know I have a couple in the house somewhere). And after rebooting it a few times I think I need to turn the fast boot off. I don't think it detects the flash drive properly before it tries to boot. Makes it halt there until you tell it to retry boot devices and then it takes off. Either way it runs like a champ. A slightly aging champ. Removed the metal knock out for the floppy (You can't see it without dismantling it) seems to have improved the air flow a bit. If you're bored and like to tinker you can drill the rivets on the drive cage and pull it, should increase air flow some more. If you're really bored you might be able to take the power supply apart and remove all the cables not being used.

Cheers,

Yankton

#ni-2
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall alpha_fruit saying something of needing a PC
I might be wrong...
Yeah, I always have the little stuff, I buy Batteries 6 at a time...
#ni-1
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you mention it, Alpha Fruit has been absent a bit. Lacking a PC to check the boards makes it difficult to know there is a PC available to...check the boards.

#ni-1
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, 1 of 2 more machines ready to go out. This is the last the really qualifies as a shrubber though. q6600. 6GB of ram. 9600GT card (old but still shrubs). 500GB HD. Not a power machine but it does the job. The hard drive I just put in there, it was an older one I had sitting around. The one I pulled out had a couple failures in the smart report so I will be taking it to the top of a tank out here and see how it handles the trip to the blacktop. I can throw whatever free OS you want on there or you can install a windo$e OS on it yourself. Tough old bird needs a good home. Just pay the shipping. Hardware is on me.
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another $40 I'd guess? (The rest should arrive next week, BTW) - And if Alpha ever gets the message, just send
me a note and I'll ship you one! I'll pay, Sweetie... Just PM me where... THANK SIR YANKTON for Gifts!
One Shrub for all, an... Well, it's s'posed to sound valiant...
UPDATE: I can send a SSD along with this $40 if ya like... Or Install here, np - Don't need a failing drive, but thx... Laughing
UPDATE 2: YOU need that SSD? I'll send that as a TY for all you've done!

#ni-1
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one was $52 I think. Can always use SSDs! The hard drive in it now isn't failing. It's an older drive that I had in my spare parts. The failing drive has met with a smashing demise earlier this evening. Attcked it with a drill press afterwards. I will however leave my self a note to run a smart test on the installed one to see if it comes up with any warnings. If it does I'll pull it out also. I'll have to go poke in my parts shelves, not sure if I have any more sata drives. I'm thinking it will be ok though. It's a seagate baracuda, 500 GB. Nice drive. Can't remember what it got pulled from. People sometimes give me broken systems, I strip them for still useable parts. I'll see if I can dig up another box. Goin postal has packing peanuts on sale. I'll drop you a line as soon as I can get it set. On my first of a set of grave shifts and the company that bought our company just sold us....so transitioning at the same time.

#ni-1
ventilador
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhastPhred wrote:
Another $40 I'd guess? (The rest should arrive next week, BTW) - And if Alpha ever gets the message, just send
me a note and I'll ship you one! I'll pay, Sweetie... Just PM me where... THANK SIR YANKTON for Gifts!
One Shrub for all, an... Well, it's s'posed to sound valiant...
UPDATE: I can send a SSD along with this $40 if ya like... Or Install here, np - Don't need a failing drive, but thx... Laughing
UPDATE 2: YOU need that SSD? I'll send that as a TY for all you've done!

#ni-1

your avatar scared me D:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: