KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My 'lil laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
klaatuborada
Yo ho! Post ho!
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: My 'lil laptop Reply with quote

Well, over the years I've lost two laptops, and imho it's because I burnt them out shredding, and of course, I've started shredding again.

Here's my setup.

A Toshiba Satellite A665 laptop (not made anymore)
AMD Phenom(tm) II P940 Quad-Core 1.70 GHz Processor
8,00 GB (7.75 GB usable)
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4200 Series
64-bit Operating System Windows 7 Home

If I had to choose 3 - 5 projects to run on my 'lil ole system here, what do you think they should be?

What do you think would be the best Boinc settings? (Currently it doesn't run when I'm using the computer, but my computer is always on, with a laptop fan)

Besides throwing it away, (but I can't because it's all I can afford), what could I possibly do that might improve performance? (Tempted to try to get the windows recovery system off my hard drive (didn't get discs, it's the new thing and I hate it), and set up with Linux, but that's way in the future).

I'm semi-technical - I can put a computer together, I am my IT department as I'm a remote worker for my company and have to trouble-shoot for myself, but only so far. The above statement in general is trying to say, I don't think I'm an idiot.

Any suggestions to help me keep Boinc alive will help.

Currently running: Seti, World Community Grid and Mind Modeling but perhaps these aren't the best projects to be running.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: