KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpowe
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Server problems Reply with quote

Ya'll remember on those sad days when the board is down... we have a temporary home away from home.

http://kwsn.nl/phpBB3/index.php

Sign up is turned off, but next time we're down I'll turn sign up temporarily back on. If You'd like to sign up before that, let me know and I'll see what I can do.
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you want to take up a collection for some newer hardware?
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah so here is the deal. The server we are running on is getting to be kind of old. It is past it's official end of life with the hosting provider which means they no longer guarantee spare parts for it. Back in July it blew out a motherboard and last week it did the same thing again. Fortunately GNAX techs did have the spare parts to get it running again both times. However it is obviously becoming unreliable. I'm wondering if there is actually a problem in the power supply or other component that is causing motherboards to burn up.

The truth of the matter is we really only need dedicated hardware to do the stats. Now, I haven't so much as touched the stats for over a year I think. I am still proud that I was the first one to do something with the BOINC XML stats dumps but to be honest, there are much better stats sites out there at this point so I'm thinking when this server does finally bite the dust, the stats will likely go with it. I might try to provide a database dump for anyone interested in mining the historical records or something...

But the good news is that the orbiting fortress and the lunatics site can easily run in The Cloud. The internet one, not Sir Fart's. This is much cheaper than dedicated hardware. In fact, I already have a host with cloudatcost.com that will likely serve this role just dandy for $40 for the next 2 years. It's kind of ridiculous really. Assuming the company doesn't go out of business in 6 months of course. But one thing at a time.

So anyway, I have already started setting up some things on that host including nightly dumps of the database from the current server so that if this one decides to chomp on another motherboard, we will just ditch it and move over at which point downtime will be limited to however long it takes the DNS change to propagate out through the interwebsnets.
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodger dodger Captain Oveur!

#ni-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: