KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New shrubber coming soon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: New shrubber coming soon Reply with quote

Time to build a new rig. Mostly because my main one can't keep up with the current games anymore. Looking at Asus Z87-Pro with a Haswell 4771 and a titan.

Thinking I may get a beefier power supply than I need and add a second titan later this year. Has anyone run two of these things? Has anyone run an Nvidia and an ATI card simultaneously and made uber shrubs with both? The 4771 has a graphics chip as well. Anyone gotten those shrubbing alongside a dedicated video card?
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts ordered. Should be here end of the week. Will be assembling/testing this weekend.

#ni-1
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a sweet machine. Cool

(older, before split CPID)
JumpinJohnny
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice combo. It's gonna be a SCREAMER !

.... that woulda been my pick for a mobo... PS wattage??
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memtest is running. It will be running overnight. One of the fans on the noctua doesn't seem to be running right. Easy fix and the other fan should be able to handle things in the meantime. Forgot to order bay adapters for the SSDs. They will be here monday. Temps look good so far. I have enough cooling that I should be able to lock it into turbo mode with no issues. It's gonna be fun!

Very Happy
branjo
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to seeing its production #ni-1

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wattage? Was about 100 before the video card went in (That's with the processor fully loaded). Went with an 850 watt PS. Since I may not do a second video card I could have been good with a 650.

It's a learning experience. I would avoid haswell processors for shrubbers unless you plan on going overkill on cooling. These bloody things run hot.

I have a mild overclock set to 3.7 Ghz. Runs high 50s low 60s. At 3.9 the wattage on the just the cpu jumps to about 130-140 watts. Start seeing temps in the 80s. And I have a noctua nh-d14 on top of it. You would either have to delid it or run liquid cooling on steroids to go 3.9 or higher. I'd stick with the ivy or sandy bridge now. Or if you like AMD they have a 16 core opteron. 150W cpu. And a board that will take 2 of them and a good video card. If you're not gaming and have cash it may be a good option.

It would have been up sooner but I kept having lockups. Finally narrowed it down to the usb header on the case. Or the cable that goes to it. Either way it's disconnected now and seeing as that was my only problem I'll live with it.

CPU shrubs are about the same time needed as my old rig. But now there's 8 of them instead of 4. I threw the lunatic gpu apps in. The first one it ran wanted 13 hours, finished in about 6 minutes. My old 9600 knocks them out in 35 - 40 minutes. Nice gain. The titan (and this is a LARGE video card and it weighs a ton) needs an 8 pin AND a 6 pin power connection to run. I may not add another video card as it has a lot of draw and I'm no longer sure my 850 watt power supply will push two of them around. It also has glowing LEDs that say GEFORCE GTX on the side in green. So I have green, blue LED fans and a red led readout that displays post codes live and locks in the last one. Very colorful.

Got most of my apps installed. Gonna start moving games over to it soon. Antec 900 case is nice but limited in cable management. And between the noctua and the titan the case is pretty well full.
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos or it never happened.

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a picture after the bay adapter comes in and I tweak some cable management. Should be today. That way it'll be all pretty!

#ni-1
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I don't normally share photos so I'm probably being dense. I made a flikr account and put one in there. Can't figure out how to find the address to share it. Anyone use that site who can give me a clue?
Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I use Photobucket.

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home, I will try photobucket tomorrow. GTA V is calling me before I crash for the night.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: