KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bouncy work-server of the Month award

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Concrete-mixing Moose
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Bouncy work-server of the Month award Reply with quote

Bouncy work-server of the Month award #Milti

This month the eOn project wins hands down ... and up ... and down ... and up ... and down.

#ni-1

Save my home - click every day on the picture!
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and to the side one more time.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" goes 'round and around
Whoa-ho-ho-ho-ho-ho
And it comes out here."
1935 ... jeez ...
#ni-1

Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a jump to the left...
And then a step to the right.
With your hands on your hips...
You bring your knees in tight.
But it's the pelvic thrust...
That really drives you insane:

Let's do the Time Warp again!

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

Concrete-mixing Moose
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like eOn is going for the award for October too! #Mad
#ni-1

Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still find the SETI servers to be annoying Surprised It's just that ET can't phone home much of the time #ni-1

Duke of Buckingham [TeaM]
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I phone home all the time but I am a legal alien. #ni-1

Together we stand - Divided we fall.
Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Well, SETI would be looking for extra terestrial aliens. Not that they could phone home if the server keeps bouncing #ni-1 Now imagine that though, ET is like "I tried to leave you a message, but your server said busy, busy, busy, so I gave up and flew back to Orien" Laughing

Duke of Buckingham [TeaM]
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had made a post about that somewhere. The relativity doesn't allow the communication as we use them among different stellar systems.

The use of our communication systems are only good for relatively short distances that is why I still crunch SETI there is a small possibility of catching a local transmission somewhere in our galaxy.

Between galaxies is unthinkable the use of communications as we see them today besides the escape velocity of a galaxy there is the huge amount of time for the communication get's there and the distortion of the communication itself.

Well you are all clever guys and besides our hope of having this kind of communication there is nothing rational on it. The universe is just to big to have communications at the speed of light.

Very Crazy Duke #ni-1

Together we stand - Divided we fall.
Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fly back to Orien would suggest that they were transmitting not from their planet, but from an alien space ship, which could be in our solar system #ni-1

And it isn't really relativity, that would enter in more wrt the idea that as we'd approach the speed of life, time wouldn't be passing at the same rate; but I do know what you're getting at. A transmission between Earth and the moon already shows a time delay, if we had people on Mars it would be more pronounced.

What SETI could catch would be stray radio signals that they were transmitting to those on their own planet, in much the same way we do. I do see a few problems, aka they're suggesting not only a civilization at about the same level of development to our own, but also using a technology like our own. There's no reason that the technology has to be the same, even on Earth one can see the possibility for parallel evolution, which goes along slightly different paths. Just look at computer development in the early days, before people got together and formed various standards. In the early days, computers from one manufacturer couldn't easily communicate with computers from another. They were incompatible. TCP/IP, and many of the bases to the Internet helped, but so did networking standards, expansion slot standards, and standardization in general.

A civilization forming somewhere else, which could be very alien then our own (silicon based life for instance, anyone?) would not be standardized with our own. There wasn't collaboration of any kind... There are multiple ways to solve a given problem (the problems faced on different planets perhaps being a bit different, for instance if an alien intelligence evolved on a world around a blue giant, which naturally would have a habitable zone much further from their star, then we are from ours), they might face very different challenges and a different environment, then what we see here. But the thing is, they could come up with very different solutions then what we devised, which for them, worked. We don't know what they came up with, they don't know what we came up with, until someone encounters the other race, and understanding the differences, can perhaps devise a way for the technologies to interface...

We have faced this in our own lifetime, look at VHS vs. Betamax, or gasoline based engines, vs diesal where the fuel used in one, won't work in the other. A successor to the modern computer faces much of the same; with multiple alternatives. A quantum based computer would be one, an optical would be another, and I heard someone suggest a biologic/DNA based computer. Where I went to school we had professors who also worked at Sandia National Labs, they were exploring the possibility of them all. But none has been "decided upon". Hell a combination could be possible like a quantum based optical computer, which deals with photons of light on the quantum level. It's possible because light is particle, as well as wave.... But at some point, we're going to make decisions, so we have a consistent technology base, where all our systems could interface with each other. Another world with different beings, facing the same choice, might develop it differently and make different choices on a possible successor.

I wouldn't say that communication between solar systems or galaxies would be impossible, but it would be a very different technology then we have. If the message could be sent through another dimension, where time and space isn't the same as here in our own 3 dimentional universe, one involved ideas of worm holes or the like, it would be possible. But and here's the thing, looking for the message in 3D space you wouldn't find it. Because it isn't there. It would have left normal space/time if you will, and re-entered at the destination, without a means to probe the dimention between... Another interesting phenomina of quantum physics is quantumly enmeshed particles, where theoretically time and space is irrelavent. If someone happens to one particle, the enmeshed particle will mirror the movement or action, and the space between them is irrelavent. Theoretically they could be at opposite ends of the universe (say 13 billion light years apart) and they'd do the same thing, simultaniously.

I had an idea years ago, what if one could encode messages into quantum enmeshed particles, then send one particle elsewhere. My causing a shift for one, if it's mirrored by the other, simultaniously, would the message have to be "sent" in the conventional sense #ni-1 But then if you don't have an enmeshed particle, how would you detect that? That one can't intercept it (which could make detection a problem for a third party) is one reason we are looking at it for quantum based cryptography which though was theoretical when I was in college, there are now applications (though very first generation technological implementations) which exist today. Banks and financial institutions are about the only ones that can afford it now, and it's also very slow vs more traditional broadband...

But if we could find a means to send an object into another dimention, and transmit a message through dimentions; this would be something to try. Build a space probe, have it undergo a dimentional shift, launch it in orbit (something like Hubble, but set go to another dimention). Then have it probe the universe in another dimention. If we could have a dimentional shift, then have the communication from it, transmit back to our dimention, and get images on our computer screens of the universe in another dimention. Now that, would really expand our fronteirs a bit Very Happy

Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and lets not forget one other implication, we're looking at things from a single instant in time. Because as one's looking at more distant objects, they're seeing them as they were at some time in the past, not as they are today. If a civilization 70 million light years away were to observe Earth, they've get the light from when dinosaurs walked the Earth. They'd never pick up our own radio transmissions for another 69.99994 or so million years, before they'd detect even our first radio transmission.

Now given the length of time life took to evolve here, and how many billions of years went by before homo sapiens walked the planet, the odds on getting the exact right time, when one's looking at it for only a brief period isn't as good. Even if life has evolved there. If we're looking a billion light years away, there quite litterally could be advanced aliens who can communicate today, but 500 million years ago even, there might not have been... Time could be as much an issue for detecting something, as space is, unless/until some form of advanced technology could enter into the mix... The sort of something we might be just on the verge of discovering ourselves, or might be within the next millenia...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: