KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

P.O.E.M. Testing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuadormrac wrote:
I could check on my GPU for nVidia (laptop has a Kepler based GPU), hopefully if what you're finding on ATI, it'll pay at least better then GPUgrid.... Hmm... This will take a few moments to get back with something.... But of course that's assuming all of your RAC was from GPU only, and not from CPU + GPU....

I am running GPU only, but POEM has it set to also steal one full CPU in their settings. So you are essentially using both GPU and CPU.

Here are the run time examples:
Code:
Run time (sec)     CPU time (sec)
2,390.00           1,217.39 (ATI 5770)
3,615.37           1,300.50 (ATI 5670)

So you will lose a CPU to the project.
Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, so one's losing the credits one could get from a CPU in those results, unless the 2 CPU listings were the loss of an entire hyper threaded core. Definitely should be added into the mix when comparing, as the CPU project on something like Prime or primaboinca can also produce a fair bit #ni-1

Not 119k though, IF it comes to that....

Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's 1 core, but not 1 hyper-threaded core, hasn't completed yet but in 16 min 46 seconds, it was 60% complete, I'll wait to see when it's done, and of no less import what credit it gets.

Now it's fair to mention the CPU as well as the GPU, when it uses this much of a core:

GPU: nVidia GT 650 m, 1 GB GDDR5
i7 2.3 GHZ using the new Ivy bridge, 3610QM

BTW, according to GPU-Z, POEM is only running the GPU around 37%-60% load, as it flucuates in that range (vs other projects that run it around 70-90% depending ont he project), they probably could put more onto the GPU... The project like others, keeps the graphics at a sustained max clock for it of 825 MHz, rather then the 735 MHz base....

Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completed in 27 min 48 sec...

2,925.23 credits awarded.

2,925.23/ (27 * 60 + 4Cool seconds/ 60 ^ == 6,313.446 credits/hr

* 24 = 151,522.704 credits a day.

Course I only checked off one task, but if Keppler is any indication, then nVidia here + an Ivy bridge i7 pays better then you saw on ATI, even with it only using like half the GPU...

However, and this said, a 57xx ATI is not their lattest gen, a GT 6x0 is nVidia's lattest gen, so this could still be apples to oranges, unless someone has the lattest gen ATI card to run it on. Of course, a 650 isn't a 680 though....

Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's paying better, a recent boost in my RAC suggests as much... I was completing some other GPU projects yesterday, and yet POEM still came out as 86% of credits earned #ni-1

Now of course that's minus 1 CPU core, but still, I think this could end up being over 90% of credits compared to CPU projects, which would put this one as the current credit whore's GPU project....

Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, I moved away from POEM for now. I am doing PrimeGrid on my CPU and setting CPU to 5 is causing my machines to grab 5 CPU jobs at prime and holding one. Since I am doing LLR I do not want jobs to sit in my queue for a couple of days because I want to be the finder not the double checker if possible.

BOINC needs to fix this. I think separate settings are needed for GPU and CPU, but that probably will never happen. So if POEM becomes the GPU for the month I will not be helping since I cannot control it any better.
Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, you convinced me to give it a look after the time it was CPU PotM and we had WU issues (which are now gone, not seeing any of that), so yeah I voted for it. I think it is going to be the PotM.

Well, we'll do what we'll end up doing. I think we're still likely to see a nice bump, and the French are going down in days, regardless, we're set to over-take them. Always a good thing there #ni-1 We'll take our bad teeth over not bathing any day Laughing Yeah I know, I'm poking fun at stereo-types they tended to hold of each other, there Surprised

Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pooh Bear 27 wrote:
Please post if double precision is needed for these projects as some of us do not have that.

This is an important question, because it has a significant effect in different GPUs.

ATI/Radeon [generally] has a better ratio of FP32 to FP64, usually in the 4:1 to 12:1 range.

The Nvidia cards are all over the place, but what is very annoying is the GeForce GTX 600 series has a stupefying 24:1 ratio.
And this was intentional!
NVidia is trying to protect/bolster its Quadro & Tesla lines by keeping the GeForce equivalents hobbled.
[Quadro & Tesla have a 3:1 ratio.]
They intentionally disable most of the FP64 units on the GeForce line - even though these are the same exact chips coming out of the foundry (TSMC). #Mad

What this all means is that (on GTX 6xx cards) if the WU is using FP32, it will execute ~24 times faster than the same number of FP64 instructions.

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The times I gave was on a gt 650, and IS the new Kepler arch. The credits (I'm building up), but would put me close to where Poohbear was, aka 150,000 a day-ish. I'll probably play some games though going ahead, now that I'm close to 2 mil credits though obviously not all the time.

Keepler is difficult to say in part because it's massively parallel, as compared to FERMI and prior cores, and to really get the performance boost, requires a program to be massively parallel, or multiple tasks to run. Programs can only be designed to exploit parallelism to a certain degree; which is also where Intel's ideas in EPIC/IA-64 had some limitations....

POEM doesn't, from what I see comparing it to GPU-Z, use as much of the GPU as other projects use, and theoretically one could run 2 POEM tasks in parallel on it (I was seeing closer to 58%, there would be some drop), but the credit return is near 3,000 credits per task (slightly lower), and it takes less then 28 minutes to complete on Keppler. Naturally a 680 GTX would have more raw crunching power (also a bit of a higher clock) then my 650 GT, though given my laptop uses gddr5 video RAM and not DDR 3, lessj of a difference then some laptops would see...

But on the flip side it uses a CPU core, and I think 1 of the 8 hyper-threaded cores of the i7 Ivy bridge proc I have (thouth this laptop, i only got the 2.3 GHz i7 gen 3 proc) does add to that, to some degree. I'm not sure an apples to apples Keppler vs ATI's lattest gen Radeon part; but having messed around POEM does seem to be one of the top credit grabbers. GPU grid for instance, can't even get 1/3 of the credit in a given day. On POEM alone, and with an nVidia Keepler (though mobile graphics part for a laptop), I could grab more then 1.2 million credits per week. It pays, that well.... And that's just 1 PC, running 1 instance of POEM, on one GPU only Wink This seems to be paying the massive payouts, that Milkyway was known for many years ago, before the credit parity crowd convinced them to start cutting their credits down.... Now theroretically with 58% GPU utilization one could double those returns also, however the effect wouldn't be quite 2x, one is using just over half the GPU afterall... But when I made the comparisons I had, it was using a Keppler part, myself, as that is what my laptop has #ni-1

BTW, the g5 650m is also kept running at the 835 MHz boosted clock, not the base 735 MHz clock, though this isn't from o/cing but rather a built in feature that allows the card to run at a higher clock when the BIOS senses it isn't in danger of o/cing and can provide an extra boost of performance. It's by hardware design, and the lappy figures it's running safe to be at the self boosted clock 24/7 with the setup of this thing as I bought it in a standard a/c cooled room... I'm using nVidia's lattest beta drivers (their retail drivers are older then the product itself at this point)...

Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuadormrac wrote:
: : :
Kepler is difficult to say in part because it's massively parallel, as compared to FERMI and prior cores, and to really get the performance boost, requires a program to be massively parallel, or multiple tasks to run. Programs can only be designed to exploit parallelism to a certain degree; which is also where Intel's ideas in EPIC/IA-64 had some limitations....
: : :

I agree.
I think this is also the major challenge that Stanford's F@H project is facing, as well as the many BOINC projects.

These new Kepler GPUs are quite different than prior NV designs.
The most obvious is the automatic variable speed feature GPU Boost that mucks around with timings and can cause BSODs!
(yes, I have direct first-hand experience with a 690).
Additionally, the Kepler series also has [roughly] 3x the cores that prior Fermi chips did.
This means that while the card may be much more powerful, the tasks (WUs) are not taking optimal advantage of the new resources.

While this GPU Boost might be great for gaming, it wreaks havoc on DC/HPC.
I think many of the programmers & project designers for DC/HPC apps were caught at unawares with the squirrely nature of Kepler.
The recent [albeit begrudging] adoption of OpenCL by NVidia - which necessitated a change to the CUDA programming tools - may also be a contributor to the confusion (re-learning curve).

Let's remember to be realistic, however:
Both ATI and NVidia's biggest target-market is gamers - pure and simple!
Any DC/HPC needs that we have are necessarily going to take a back seat the the gamer communities' desires.
The GPU makers - as well as any for-profit corporation - follow the money!

Gemjunkie
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might like to notice that gamers buy/build a gaming computer, crunchers buy/build farms.

(older, before split CPID)
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:
They might like to notice that gamers buy/build a gaming computer, crunchers buy/build farms.

Quite right!
But unfortunately the throngs-n-hoards of Gamers out-number Crunchers by at least 1000 to 1. #Bluegrab

Oh, thanks for the quite ample supply of Shrubberies on F@H!!!!
I like the laurels particularly!
And...you're closing in on your first million!!!

Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gemjunkie wrote:

They're not mutually exclusive though, as many a gamer will download a crunching app so their computer resources aren't wasted when they're not home. Not everyone likes to shut down their computer at night, and reboot either...

Also, many gamers also don't just run with 1 GPU. I know of some that get crossfire up and running, and run multiple cards in the equivallent of SLI, and even some look to run more then 2 graphics cards. Some for instance will set 2 up in crossfire, then add a third, albeit older card for PhysiQs computations; but the net result is they're running 3 seperate graphics cards in the same 1 computer... People who do this, can also tend to spend $6,000 or $8,000 on their PC, getting $1,000 hard drives, and all kinds of things; they're not necessarily a market without the expenditure. Albeit, and this said it would be less then an IT staff that goes out and buys a $500,000 Cisco layer 7 switch (a university I went to had 2 of em attached to an OC-3 line), for $1 mil there, then their servers on top...

But generally people who need a bigger computer tend to put the money in it, and then there is what they have left over. That would be another question, how many here have some computer games? I do, and have also done some raiding Wink #ni-1

williamd007
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:14 am    Post subject: POEM acting strangely... Reply with quote

My first puter to kick in on poem gpu WU's is showing a 0 gpu usage which seems to remain at 0 and not change, also shows 1 cpu use. The gpu is a fermi 545. I am waiting to see if this holds across the board on my others.. a 640, 2 570's, 2 450's, and another 545 card, as these are finishing other work and have poem gpu cuda WU's which have not kicked in yet. But his seems a lil odd to me at this point.
Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: POEM acting strangely... Reply with quote

williamd007 wrote:
My first puter to kick in on poem gpu WU's is showing a 0 gpu usage which seems to remain at 0 and not change, also shows 1 cpu use. The gpu is a fermi 545. I am waiting to see if this holds across the board on my others.. a 640, 2 570's, 2 450's, and another 545 card, as these are finishing other work and have poem gpu cuda WU's which have not kicked in yet. But his seems a lil odd to me at this point.

That doesn't seem right, 0% GPU? You might want to try upgrading your drivers, just in case. I'm using the lattest beta drivers from off nVidia's own site. You do want to use the drivers from nVidia, and not the ones that come with the OS or are provided by Microsoft. CUDA/OpenCL aren't necessarily in the base driver which would be MS or OEM provided. So if you're running those, try going to nVidia's own website and dlownloading their driver....

At least it's sounding like it could be driver related, maybe....

williamd007
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: nvidia drivers Reply with quote

I am using 301.42 , the latest non-beta driver on all my machines.
Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only dif is I'm running the lattest beta. Not sure, something seems odd that it isn't using your GPU. If it's not the driver, core client and does your computer use Optimus to switch between the nVidia core and something like the GPU built into the CPU? 6.x core clients couldn't detect optimus properly. Make sure BOINC sees the GPU (from the initialization text it spits out in BOINC's message log, ander the advanced menu), and it's set to use CUDA or OpenCL based on the message it gives you when BOINC first starts up...

Other thing, regardless of version, it's best to download it from

http://www.nvidia.com

and not from Microsoft or your OEM. Sometimes MS and the OEM gives a basic driver, that won't include things like OpenCL driver support. You'll need driver support for things a basic driver meant only to get the card to play won't support (aka something that just gives a desktop isn't enough, and often that's all the operating system manufacturer provides by default). Then again that's on Windows, if you're going on Linux, I think there's a whole other kettle of fish that some might be able to fill you in on, for getting CUDA support and what not, up and running properly...

Oh, and one other thing, if in the project preferences you're set to download CPU tasks that will only run on the CPU. So try checking (yes) to grab nVidia tasks, and no for CPU....

FYI, if you're getting the right tasks, under applications on the BOINC interface advanced view, it should show:

Quote:
POEM++ OpenCL Version 1.03 (opencl_nvidia_100)

If it isn't showing openCL in the application version, then the WU's being sent to you might not be the GPU ones Wink

williamd007
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No optimus, its a vista 32 bit desktop with a dedicated PCI express 2.0 545 card. I only download my video drivers from nvidia themselves although you have a good point there, just not in my case. From reading thru there (poems) forums this seems to have been an ongoing problem for them thru the previous versions. I am getting across the board on all puters the POEM++OpenCL version 1.03 Wu's. Any and all other gpu projects are working just fine and this seems so far to be a POEM specific problem, at least on this 1 puter. Again the others havent kicked in yet and I am waiting to see what will happen when they do. POEMS forums seem to claim that it is a Boinc problem. I am running 7.028 in both 32 and 64 bit versions on all of my machines. I have since removed poem WU's from the above mentioned machine and reverted back to Distrrtgen and will wait and see what happens on my other machines when these poem WU's kick in. Thanks for your help so far and I say NI! Smile
Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's Vista... Running win7 64, myself. I wonder, because Vista did seem to have, well issues. Even my previous laptop that came with it pre-installed, win7 ran better on that thing even though it didn't have the newer hardware for it. Never did really like Vista, personally. After having beta tested it back in the day, I ended up reverting back to winXP until after win7 came out #ni-1

I haven't tried stock driver, so not sure if there isn't something in the beta that might have been addressed. Hmm... I do know that nVidia's drivers aren't bug free; IE 64-bit has that crashing problem with nForce drivers that seems to be reported all around online, with just about every site saying it's an nVidia driver problem.... Of course it's really some software interaction problem between Microsoft's browser and nVidia's drivers; but you know how it goes with these companies. Though Microsoft's code is as much a part of it as nVidia's, it's like the old joke about Microsoft always blaming Intel, Intel always blaming Microsoft, and they'd both blame the user whenever something just didn't interact well, between them... There could be some other issues that get worked on in various versions, etc...

williamd007
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Poem Reply with quote

The 640 card win7Ultimate 64 bit had the same problem, no GPU usage. I also noticed if you go to poem, under statistics all the cards with points are in the 400 series. There are no 500 or 600 series video cards listed with points! On my dual 450sli Win XP 32 bit system Poem works fine except that it's a dual core and POEM requires 1 CPU core for each running WU essentially stopping me from running any cpu Wu's side by side with POEM. Something tells me the poem codeing is for older GPU's on the nvidia end anyway. So I guess I'll have to wait for the next version or so of the new poem GPU WU's. Switching back to yoyo and Distrrtgen until the 8/3/2012 challenge begins at prime grid.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: