KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this still an active project?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Antigens
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Is this still an active project? Reply with quote

Hello all, I've been away for a while and back. I'm currently shrubbing in SETI, but was thinking maybe of coming back to Folding. I don't see any new posts and was wondering if it's still an active group?
Cow_tipping
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/waves
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'll need a Team Number to join...
Update: Found it! Team 117
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/teamstats/team117.html
#ni-2
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be, but it is a non-BOINC project.

Ni
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this still an active project? Reply with quote

Antigens wrote:
Hello all, I've been away for a while and back. I'm currently shrubbing in SETI, but was thinking maybe of coming back to Folding. I don't see any new posts and was wondering if it's still an active group?

I'm still at it, not going anywhere either!
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this still an active project? Reply with quote

Antigens wrote:

Yes - we are still here, and any contribution you'd like to make would be greatly appreciated!

I went off-line for about a year Embarassed, but I'm back now...with BETTER shrubbers!

My outward goal is to help get KWSN into the top 100 team rankings for F@H. We're now (at the time of this post) at rank 133 - not too bad - but we could do better (even without needing to get a bucket).

Personally, however, I have chosen to throw all my shrubbing efforts to F@H because it has realistic, achievable goals that will benefit humanity. While I do understand - in general - the other DC projects out there (BOINC, etc), most of them do not hold out the potential to make the lives of actual people substantially & fundamentally better. My father was a victim of both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's...so anything I can do to help put an end to these hideous diseases; and my mother passed away last year from colon cancer, maybe protein folding will be able to provide treatments or cures for various cancers, too!

Anyway, YES, please toss any spare holy-hand-grenades toward F@H.

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

Sir Cracked of the Mind

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you looked at WCG they do lots of medical stuff
#ni-1
Morbus
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is this still an active project? Reply with quote

Putting_things_on_top wrote:
Antigens wrote:

Yes - we are still here, and any contribution you'd like to make would be greatly appreciated!

I went off-line for about a year Embarassed, but I'm back now...with BETTER shrubbers!

My outward goal is to help get KWSN into the top 100 team rankings for F@H. We're now (at the time of this post) at rank 133 - not too bad - but we could do better (even without needing to get a bucket).

Personally, however, I have chosen to throw all my shrubbing efforts to F@H because it has realistic, achievable goals that will benefit humanity. While I do understand - in general - the other DC projects out there (BOINC, etc), most of them do not hold out the potential to make the lives of actual people substantially & fundamentally better. My father was a victim of both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's...so anything I can do to help put an end to these hideous diseases; and my mother passed away last year from colon cancer, maybe protein folding will be able to provide treatments or cures for various cancers, too!

Anyway, YES, please toss any spare holy-hand-grenades toward F@H.

I'm with you on the causes, I've lost some dear ones to cancer... One of which should have outlived my drunken, smoking, protein devouring ass by a factor of 20.

You're throwing up some mighty impressive numbers there, if I may ask; what are you running for shrubbers? Most (damn near all) of my points are coming from a gaming rig (dual gtx 550ti and gpu3 client) that I haven't been gaming with much since my family got a little bigger. It does better than the rest of my farm put together, but I'd still like to know if there's something I could do to toss in a few more grenades myself.
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this still an active project? Reply with quote

Morbus wrote:
You're throwing up some mighty impressive numbers there, if I may ask; what are you running for shrubbers? Most (damn near all) of my points are coming from a gaming rig (dual gtx 550ti and gpu3 client) that I haven't been gaming with much since my family got a little bigger. It does better than the rest of my farm put together, but I'd still like to know if there's something I could do to toss in a few more grenades myself.

My current configs are:

Rig 1:
- AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (3.4GHz), 8192MB DDR3 (4x2GB)
- ASUS GTX560ti 448 Core (732MHz), 1280MB GDDR5
- ASUS GTX560ti 384 Core (830MHz), 1024MB GDDR5

Rig 2:
- AMD FX-8120 8-core (3.2GHz), 8192MB DDR3 (4x2GB)
- MSI GTX560ti 384 Core (882MHz), 1024MB GDDR5

I also have a lowly PS3 running F@H (in 'expert' mode, which just means 'exclusive' mode). Not much for PPD, but every little bit helps.

So, currently, I have 6 shrubberizers.

By the end of July, I will bring "ANOTHER SHRUBBERY" online (waiting on back-ordered GPUs):

Rig 3 (by end-of-month?):
- AMD FX-8150 8-core (3.6GHz), 32768MB DDR3 (4x8GB)
- One EVGA GTX690 3072 Core (915~1019MHz), 4096MB GDDR5
*** GTX-690 functions like two GTX680s ***

Haven't decided on water-cooling option yet.
I'll stick with traditional air-cooling for now, but I will decide later.
I have, however, opted for the most massive case I can find for my new build (click on image for video review):
This case is a little on the spendy side (~$350), but OH what a joy it is to have all that space!

That will put the count at 9 shrubberizers.

BTW, when you're using your dual GTX550ti's, hopefully you're not running them in SLI for folding. That just doesn't work.
The FAHCore is not programmed to utilize SLI, so you'd only get the functional effectiveness of one card.
Some other forums claim (not substantiated, though) that SLI can actually slow-down folding performance as compared to just running a single card.

Additionally, have you installed the latest V7 client?
It's a whole lot better than the preceding client/console apps.

Last edited by Putting_things_on_top on Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
Morbus
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you saying to turn off the SLi while folding? I'm showing 100% utility on both cards, but if its only viewing them as one maybe its wasting cycles?

I'll kill SLi tonight and see if it helps my numbers at all. I never bothered to do anything with it since, barring the occasional WU, they run at 100% full time. Well, 99%, but I don't see anything make 100% so I'm not sure if my gpu meters will actually display that number.

For the client I actually run FAH gpu tracker, set to run the GPU clients with everything open and the SMP client at 7/8 cores but with everything else (-smp -bigadv -advmethods) turned on. I do have tracker set to update itself and all of the clients automatically, so I'm assuming I'm running the latest but haven't checked.
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - consensus opinion on the geeky sites (where I perform "reconnaissance") seem to be rather emphatic about it (SLI).

It's been a very long time since I read-up on that topic at the Stanford site (and their related forums), but I do somewhat remember their recommendation of not using SLI (or CrossFire for the ATI/Radeon crowd).

There are references to "synchronization" problems across the 'bridge' (flat-cable) that have not been overcome.
Perhaps these issues cannot be overcome (an inherent bottleneck?) - I'm not sure.

Some of my avid-gamer friends also tell me that for gaming, SLI/Crossfire tends to split the functional workload between the cards.
They are convinced (and I have no reason to doubt them) that one card takes the primary load of "building the frames" (rastering?), while another card will undertake the sub-tasks of "refinement" (anti-aliasing, etc?).
...Way above my level!!!

Long story short: SLI/Crossfire is awesome for gaming, but is [likely] useless (or even detrimental) for folding types of tasks.

Also, the switches have changed (a lot) for SMP and GPU under the aegis of the new V7 client.
Personally, I just take the defaults.
I tried mucking with the switches; but I was disappointed with the results after a few days, so I switched back to the defaults.

Also, I don't overclock anything (but I do tend to buy the factory-overclocked GPUs).
I tried overclocking with a GTX-275 a couple of years ago.
Fried-it-to-a-crisp within a week, and now I have a large paper-weight.

Another thing (just my own 'habit', really) is that I will take my GPUs apart about every 6-9 months for routine cleaning.
I also re-thermal them using a non-curing thermal grease, spread as thinly as I can get it. (Word to the wise: do not use Arctic Silver!!!!)

The way I figure it, within 6 months - if the GPU is defective - I can still go the warranty/RMA route.
But if it can stand-up to 6+ months of 24x7 folding, then it is likely to give me at least 2 years of reliable shrubbery production.
I will then risk 'voiding' the warranty by re-thermaling it myself (and to my own kinda-picky thermal standards).
I am too often horrified by most GPUs that come out-of-the-box with something that resembles mortar having been troweled-on by a blind stone mason! AAGGHH!

One last note: Try setting your SMP to even numbers of cores. Odd numbers may impede execution-time optimizations (another 'geeky' piece of info I accumulated).

Morbus
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, may be a moot point!

Logged in remotely and checked my system and both GPUs were over 70, I hate summer for computer type stuff. Need to get an apartment in alaska.

So I tried killing the SLi for 24 hours and it didn't really change anything. I'm wondering if SLi isn't what causes the occasional WU that refuses to use over 70% of the GPU.

When I OC running those WUs it actually drops my processor load, like if I jump it up to by 100mhz, the load will go from 70% to 60%. I tried googling it and couldn't find any other answer, so maybe next time I see one, I'll cut SLi and see what happens.

I hate turning it off altogether though, because with an infant in the house and working as a consultant, my hours get fckin weird and sometimes seconds count. FAH GPU tracker will automatically cut the clients off if it detects a game, so I can be logging in instead of turning off SLI, lol!

I kinda took the "hell with it" approach on OC. I took everything apart, reapplied thermal paste and put it back together when the parts showed up for this build. Threw the pretty plastic shrouds away on the GFX cards because that created a dead pocket that added 10c with a 10% overclock. So I'm pretty sure I voided the hell out of the warranty before I ever put power to any of the parts in this rig.

As soon as I had everything assembled and the OS's installed (I run win7/Mint 13 dualboot, Mint for everything but GPU3 and gaming), I started cranking up clock speeds until I disliked the temperature. Then I fired up GPU Tracker, and started folding, backing the OC off untill I stopped getting unstable processor errors.

Finally settled in at 1015mhz on dual GTX550ti 2gb, and 3.6ghz on a core i7 960. Its been there and folding as close to 24/7 as I can keep it since December. My average has settled in at around 25k ppd, so its still doing the overwhelming majority (my EOC average is only 26-27k) of my folding. I was just looking to eke a bit more out if I could...

I do have one more PCIe slot... If I went with a USB wireless adapter... I could always go get me a 560... Prices on those are dropping nicely since the 600 series came out...
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer is a challenge.
I have central A/C, but my electric bill goes up just to keep it comfortable for myself.

And yes, I have noticed the 5xx cards plummeting in price.
I suspect that part of the supply-problem for the 6xx series is that the mfgrs & sellers are trying to sell-off large, excess inventories of 5xx before wide availability of 6xx.
Can't really blame them for 'crimping-the-hose'. Wink

One thing: I noticed a significant difference between 384 vs 448 core versions of 560ti.
Even though the 448 core is clocked slower, it performs much better than the 384 core.
Generally, 448 core yields a 2 min, 03 sec TPF
384 core gives me 2 min, 56 sec TPF.
(based on 8020 PRCG)

If you choose to disable SLI, give it a week or two afterward before assessing the performance.
Sometimes there are only 'low-rent' WUs queued up at F@H (take longer and/or lower points).
I have noticed (past few days) my own PPD dipping down under 70k.
But I have targeted ≈65k as a nominal PPD with my current hdwe.

Good luck, and good shrubbing!!!

Morbus
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I"ve actually noticed both of us dropping the past few days. We are stuck with room air conditioners and I blew up my RAID array (both disks at once, I'm talented), so I can't tell you if my dropping is me breaking stuff or the fact that I now live in a sauna with a couple cold zones.

I'll try your suggestion about no SLi for a week and see what it does to my average.

Now, I need some other advice....

How does one convince their wife that they should get (1) new 500$ motherboard, (1) 300$ processor, (2) 270$ graphics cards, and maybe a bigger power supply?

I figure, if the 560 with 448 cores is a better folder, I need one. Since this is a gaming rig and wouldn't be right without SLi on the primary adapters, I need two, since my motherboard only has 3 pcie slots, I need a new motherboard, the motherboard I want has 8 PCIe slots, and I can use 4 due to the width of the cards, yet its a dual processor board so I need another core i7 960...

She said no before I got to the part about justifying the motherboard for the PCIe slots... She just doesn't get me...
Concrete-mixing Moose
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, sounds like it'll take some serious sacrifices like sitting through a Hugh Grant film with her, or visiting the in-laws, or even as a last resort going shopping with her.
This is going to be Hell but keep focused on the goal.
#ni-1

Save my home - click every day on the picture!
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbus wrote:
I figure, if the 560 with 448 cores is a better folder, I need one. Since this is a gaming rig and wouldn't be right without SLi on the primary adapters, I need two, since my motherboard only has 3 pcie slots, I need a new motherboard, the motherboard I want has 8 PCIe slots, and I can use 4 due to the width of the cards, yet its a dual processor board so I need another core i7 960...
That's the perfectly rational way to approach it.
Most spousal-units, however, seem to come up a-few-nickels-short-of-a-dollar in the area of rationality.
When will any of us learn that when we expect , we are more likely to get ???

Besides, F@H is [seemingly] handing-out the lower-point WUs recently for GPU.
I suspect that - due to summer vacations - Stanford isn't tossing too many new, high-value WUs into the hopper.
We're just going to have to slog through the dregs for a while.

A week ago (or so), I was getting lucky/spoiled...averaging about 73K per day. Very Happy
Now, I am getting disappointed with 62K per day. Crying or Very sad
Same hardware, lower points. Rolling Eyes
#ni-1 and

Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morbus wrote:
Lol, I"ve actually noticed both of us dropping the past few days.
Yes, this can be frustrating.
Most of our point-dips are probably attributable to crappy WUs being handed-out.

But I also recently had an issue with a PSU causing reboots (and my wireless router acts-up from time to time).
My fault with a 430W PSU pushing nearly 500W! Shame on me.
I just swapped it out today with a spare 600W I had picked-up (on-sale) some weeks ago.

I think summer vacations slow down the WU designers & QA folks.
So we're probably stuck with some occasional streaks of the "low-rent" WUs.

I will be coming in just a few thousand points under 2-million for June-2012.
I had estimated 1.8, however, so I guess I should be happy with that.

Morbus
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concrete-mixing Moose wrote:
Oh, sounds like it'll take some serious sacrifices like sitting through a Hugh Grant film with her, or visiting the in-laws, or even as a last resort going shopping with her.
This is going to be Hell but keep focused on the goal.
#ni-1

Uhoh... I'm already doing two of three... I've even somewhat made friends with the in-law units...

Not sure I can handle Hugh Grant... and Shocked what if it doesn't work?

I know I can't handle sitting thru Magic Mike, no matter how #ni-1 the wife-unit and all her friends think Channing Tatum is...

Finally found something I may not do for shiny new shrubber parts...
Concrete-mixing Moose
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did say it would be Hell ... #ni-1

Save my home - click every day on the picture!
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The venerable Sir Antigens is back on F@H again!
Thanks and #ni-1

We just need to round-up a few more Knights and propel ourselves out of the sub-100 team rankings!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: