KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ee pc notebook thing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:37 am    Post subject: ee pc notebook thing Reply with quote

Has anyone tried to fold or boinc on a little ee pc? The boy-child gave me his when he bought himself a new laptop to play with.

He loaded the latest ubuntu on it and reckons it would run F@H okay but I'm not sure whether to try it or not. And I'm concerned that it might be too hard on it. It's such a wee little thing.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could probably fold or Boinc on it, but if it's an old Intel Atom Eee you won't be getting a lot of points. A few hundred Boinc points per day perhaps? Better than nothing though Wink

If it's a newer AMD C-50 Eee, then the GPU should give you a pretty good Boinc score of perhaps around 2-3000 points per day (not sure cause I've never tried one, but it's a qualified guess based on the specified Gflops for it).

As far as stress goes, I am not sure. It could probably handle the load, but I doubt the Eee was designed to run 24/7. I would guess that you'd have a cooling fan malfunction within a year or so, two if you're really lucky. But since you got the thing for free, I say run it till it melts and enjoy the stats while it lasts #ni-1

If anyone has any experience with the AMD C-50 version of the Eee I would be interested in hearing about it, cause I've played with the thought of getting one for myself next birthday Smile
Plomos
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm off at college I use an Eee PC 1000HE which runs a Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N280 @ 1.66GHz.

Of course I don't run BOINC all day because I need it for other things but it still runs things nicely since its got 2GB of RAM. I can't comment on the newer kind because I don't have one

Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay then signing in from the baby machine. Still can't get used to using the small keyboard and mousepad thing.

It's Asus with Atom N270 and 1.6 ghz and I've got Ubuntu 11.04.

BOINC has just been installed and set up with the POTM. I'll see how it goes and maybe just use it for POTM overnight or whatever so that it doesn't overheat.
The keys are driving me crazy! lol Guess I'll get used to it.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
Plomos
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the keyboard takes a bit of adjusting to and then anyone else who sees mine always goes "how do you type on that thing?"

"carefully"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: