KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boinc Pentathlon - strategy thread and what not
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely, and the freehal website goes AWOL. I bet it's having trouble handling the volume. It also gave

Quote:
Warning: fopen(http://boinc.netsoft-online.com/get_user.php?cpid=5655d95072ea8fc24f844046f99eeb51) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Connection refused in /var/www/projects/freehal_at_home/html/inc/user.inc on line 83

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/projects/freehal_at_home/html/inc/user.inc:83) in /var/www/projects/freehal_at_home/html/user/home.php on line 42

on one login. Finally, I got it to take, after emailing them; in spite of all the access denied errors given to their own script files, being run internally on their own servers itself.

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am getting work, I just can't access my own account page. Also is there a qurourm, I turn in work and have yet to recieve credit.

Ni

Also I believe just over an hour until the Milkyway part of this starts, bit of an overlap with Einstein.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops, yes indeed Milky Way starts tonight 8:00 p.m. EST (US).

Nuadormrac wrote:
http://www.arkayn.us/milkyway/

Just follow your platform. And they did update it, my opti-app was 0.19, probably why the no new work, though there didn't seem to be these out there when I started doing some AQUA units. Note on Windows there's a different version number for the GPU and the CPU apps, so make sure to get the right one for your system.

OK I think I've downloaded the correct app, but what exactly do I do with it? I've never run an optimized app before...
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno my computer is so old I could never run an optimized app.

Ni
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4th day completed for the Einstein portion, with one more to go. We are currently 10th after 226,000 credits granted in the past 24 hours.

The Milkyway portion has now started, hopefully we can hold onto our 10th spot or even move up with Milkyway and FreeHAL, Milkyway being a project we can get a lot of points in.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanDroid wrote:
Ooops, yes indeed Milky Way starts tonight 8:00 p.m. EST (US).

Nuadormrac wrote:
http://www.arkayn.us/milkyway/

Just follow your platform. And they did update it, my opti-app was 0.19, probably why the no new work, though there didn't seem to be these out there when I started doing some AQUA units. Note on Windows there's a different version number for the GPU and the CPU apps, so make sure to get the right one for your system.

OK I think I've downloaded the correct app, but what exactly do I do with it? I've never run an optimized app before...

You need to make sure the executable and the app_info.xml is in the project directory (which is where you'll find the stock app now). When BOINC then goes to run this, the app_info file instructs BOINC to use the alternative app listed (other platform) instead of the stock, and app_info will point to the executable which is provided there. It's a good idea to restart BOINC, just in case when changing the apps involved. Oh, and any WUs already being crunched will error out on changing apps, you can't half process a WU on the stock and half on the opti-app; so you might want to clear your current started units out (those not started aren't a problem they can begin on any app), and stop Milkyway from starting any new tasks. Else you'll get a bunch of errored units (not a biggie if you weren't crunching them, but if they're 90% done already...

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, with Milkyway now starting we are 10th overall and 12th in just Milkyway with 89,000 credits in the first hour. THis will be a rough and tumble five days. Do not forget FreeHAL is non-intensive and can be run at the same time as Milkyway and that starts tomorrow when Einstein ends.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, check task manager after inserting the 2 files into the project directory in task manager. One unit came in, running on astronomy0.19_sse3 (though it wasn't getting more then the one unit) which necessitated a reboot of the computer even though the files were updated and boinc exited/restarted. If you don't see it using the new opti-app you put in, in task manager, you might need to reboot also.

That said, this laptop here is using Vista; which was notorious for being a pain in the arse, so....

A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of the last update, we tied at 9th overall. Looks like MW is helping out.

We're also scheduled to take another slot in Einstein in 6 days... not that it will matter by then. Guess we all wait on the validator now.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update, we are now tied for 9th overall almost twenty points above the 10th place. We are 11th in Milkyway and production is just blistering at almost 130,000 credits an hour. But do not lose momentum quite yet in Einstein with just hours to go in that challenge.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're too slow wabbit Razz

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Hal9000x86
Baron
Baron

Location: The 10 milllion year project that will find the question to the answer 42.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuadormrac wrote:

You need to make sure the executable and the app_info.xml is in the project directory (which is where you'll find the stock app now). When BOINC then goes to run this, the app_info file instructs BOINC to use the alternative app listed (other platform) instead of the stock, and app_info will point to the executable which is provided there. It's a good idea to restart BOINC, just in case when changing the apps involved. Oh, and any WUs already being crunched will error out on changing apps, you can't half process a WU on the stock and half on the opti-app; so you might want to clear your current started units out (those not started aren't a problem they can begin on any app), and stop Milkyway from starting any new tasks. Else you'll get a bunch of errored units (not a biggie if you weren't crunching them, but if they're 90% done already...

I replaced the old app with the new files, still getting de_new_test2 wus with the same 1:47 run times. Am I doing something off?

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hal9000x86 wrote:

I replaced the old app with the new files, still getting de_new_test2 wus with the same 1:47 run times. Am I doing something off?

I just put the patch on 3 of my machines, You must put both files into the Milkyway project folder that is in a hidden folder.

on XP it is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Boinc\projects

on Vista and Win 7 it is C:\ProgramData\Boinc\projects

You must enable "show Hidden folders" to navigate to there.

It will also waste all your downloaded wu's done or not and re-download new work units.

You will at least have to close and re-open Boinc Manager. I think it is easier to just restart the box...

I hope this helps #ni-1
Nuadormrac
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have to restart the box, as on Vista on thsi comp exiting and restarting BOINC didn't quite do the trick. In the past, non-started WUs seemed OK, but there might be soem variation; turn in your completed work first, and if something is close (like 95% done) you probably don't want to just discard.

And yes it's both files; as app_info.xml is needed to redirect BOINC to the opti-app

I'm gathering the Einstein portion is now over, and on the freeHAL bit, the account page is now working. The admin did get back to me, after having done something, to see if that would work. People should be able to get into any created accounts to properly credit to our group now, if you couldn't do this during account creation yesterday.

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boinc stats still says "Project Down" when I try to create an account with Freehal.

and my times went from 8 hours per core to 2 hours per core with the optimized app Very Happy

It would have been worth wasting any unit less than 60% done.
LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nuadormrac, I've got the MW Opty app cranking now...
#ni-2
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder, Einstein is ending in under two hours and FreeHAL is starting in about two hours at 8pm EST. The WUs take about an hour and a half on my old computer also it might take a minute or two to get credit granted so plan accordingly. The stats will be wild these next couple of days.

Ni
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't attach to Freehal, Project is down

Ok, I'm in...
it wouldn't work with BoincStats but I got it at the main site
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right update time. With Einstein over and FreeHAL now starting up we are 9th overall with 138 points. We are 11th in FreeHal right now and 11th in Milkyway and finished 10th in Einstein. In Einstein we had 954,000 credits in a 5 day period.

Our first full day of Milkyway was 3 million, just good enough for 11th.

The first hours of FreeHAL we turned in 16,000 credits which is good enough for 11th.

Overall we are a little over twenty points in front of Xtrem Team Boinc Addicted and about thirty points behind Russia. Keep crunching.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The addition of FreeHAL was not a good choice. That thing is simply not ready for prime time. It's all the server can do to generate work as fast as it's being drained.

Hopefully they'll learn something from this and only allow voting on stable projects in the future.

The other major issue I have with FreeHAL is it is entirely dependent on computer numbers. Speed and processing power mean nothing, it's just a numbers game which gives the teams with huge memberships a distinct advantage.

In any case, we seem to be doing fairly well for our first Pentathalon. All adNI!tising is good.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: