KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good GPU under $200?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Good GPU under $200? Reply with quote

So what do you think? I was thinking this would be my Christmas present. Looking around, I like the idea of the HD5770 since it falls right around the 4870 but with much better power consumption. Mind you, I wish I could afford a 58**, but that won't happen right now. But what about nvidia? GTX 260? Haven't used nvidia since 7600GS.

Looking for mostly shrubbing with a little bit of gaming.

>stats<
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get an HD4890 on sale from NewEgg for $179 with free shipping and a $20 mail in rebate like I just did. #ni-1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161299

That's $15 more (straight up) than the cheapest 5770 listed, and $5 less after the rebate.

The 4890 is slightly faster but that could be driver maturity issues. Not sure about overclocking. Power usage will be way lower on the 5770 especially if you're not overclocking.

My main complaint about the 5770 is that I want a shroud cooler, not their stupid egg thing that's blowing hot air into my case. The cheapest 5770 with a shroud is $179.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The power usage would likely be a more significant monetary factor long term.
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely, but overclocking goes a long way towards getting rid of the extra efficiency hehe. If you're not overclocking then the 5770 is probably the better choice. I'm happy with my 4890 for now.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toms just did an article about these cards and their performance. I'd forgotten, since most review sites dropped it off the graphs right away when it became obvious the 5770 was underperfoming, but the 5770 is basically a 4870 replacement. They perform very close.

But, even overclocked, the 5770 is slower than a stock clocked 4890. Add in that the 4890 overclocks very well, and you suddenly understand why they vanished from all those pretty "performance" charts when the 5xxx series are reviewed heh.

So yeah... for biggest performance HD4890, crunching and in games. For smallest investment over time, HD5770 by a big margin. Also, if you have case heat problems the 5770 is going to be better, and quieter.

stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's kinda what I was seeing but I hadn't considered the 4890 until now. It definitely would give much better performance. On the other hand, power consumption is a big factor for me right now. I'm looking for maximum boincage for minimal electrical bill. I'll mull it over the next couple of days.

Thanks for the input!

>stats<
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth doing some research on Collatz and MWs forums. I know for fact there are 5770s already being discussed, maybe that'll give you an idea what both cards are capable of on the same project and if it's worth the extra $ for electricity.

I think it's fairly substantial too, like 50 or 60 watts less for the 5770 compared to the 4870/4890.

On the flip side, mine (4890) is now running at 950 Mhz core (from 850 stock) and 1050 Mhz RAM (from 975 stock) and still happy as could be. I bumped the fan up to 42% to get the memory temps down (no heatsinks on them for this card, which scared me, but temps are not as bad as I thought, and core temps are very nice) but more out of my own paranoia than any requirement. With those clocks and BOINC running the card is sitting at 60C core and 72C RAM. I read a review of this specific card that got it all the way up to 990 mhz core, yowzer.

In Collatz, it's now doing WUs in 11:30 to 12:10 or so. My HD4870 does them in ~14:30. Not a huge thing, but like I said, at $159 it's hard to argue heh.

Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I produced this rough guide a few days ago, don't know if it's of any use:

The original list was a lot longer, with all the variations of manufacturer overclocking, memory variations, etc. Power figures are from http://mark.zoomcities.com/images/gfx/GFXpowerchartby3d.png. I've used my HD4850/GTS250 (rough) daily Collatz scores and scaled them for number of stream processors and graphics clock, ignoring memory amount/speed variations. From the posts above I would assume the £/$ rate is ~1.40 (my prices include our 15% VAT).

The 5770 would appear to be about the best compromise if the numbrs are to be believed.

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I don't think it plays out that way. In benchmarking and applications the 4890 trashes the 5770, even if you overclock the 5770. It's very close to, sometimes below sometimes above, the 4870 in apps. How that translates to GPGPU I don't know, and I don't see any threads on Collatz or MW about this specific card yet.

I think it would run better in MW than Collatz, because it's a memory bandwidth issue (they think) that's hurting the 5770 in general. MW does not rely on memory speeds, but Collatz does.

Power-wise it's no contest, the 5770 is waaaay more efficient. I'm sure my HD4890 is over 200 watts overclocked like it is which makes the 5770 about half as much power usage lol.

stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I decided to go with the 5770. Got a good deal at Amazon and should be here and installed by this weekend. Still can't produce the shrubberies the likes of many of you, but it's something. Then I can really get to mapping the galaxy and proving (or dis-proving, can't remember which) some crazy math problem!

#ni-2

>stats<
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if it's "just" on a level with the 4870 that's still 50k/day easy hehe.

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard some reviews that a 5770 will fit in the case for my desktop so I may order a new power supply and a 5770 for it, and move the 9660 over to it's headless twin. Could be a good christmas present to myself =)
stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I finally got the thing delivered (free shipping takes a long time). But one thing I hadn't thought through, how would I get both the 5770 and the 4770 running in one box? I realize I need to come up with a dummy plug, which I found here.

But is there anything else I need to do with MW or Collatz? As far as Catalyst goes, do I have to do anything besides telling it "no crossfire"? Anything else?

At the very least I could go with just the 5770 for now and try to fit the 4770 into the back-up shrubber. And before anybody asks, it's not for sale Twisted Evil

Thanks #ni-1

>stats<
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need to do anything for Collatz, it'll sort it out on its own. Since both use the same app MW should be easy too, just set it up like normal and BOINC should do the rest.

stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can forget about MW. *Slaps Head* The HD 5770 is single precision. Silly me, here I go around assuming the 5770 is double precision since the 4770 was double and the 5800 series is double and the 5700 series is basically the same architecture as the 5800s... I don't know if I should be mad #Mad or embarrassed Embarassed

But anyway, got the thing installed, just need to run over to Radio Shack and fix me up a dummy plug. I'll just go back to Collatz and be happy.

So, once I put together the dummy plug and plug it into the 4770, boinc/Collatz should do the rest? My CCC shows the 4770 as disabled and I can't find anywhere that mentions crossfire.

On a side note... Is there any possibility of running Collatz on one card and MW on the other?

>stats<
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the per-project GPU controls got broken again as part of fixing the over all situation in the manager. So, no, you can't just make one project ignore a card. Even though you used to be able to. Maybe you still could, if you intentionally run a pre 6.10.13 manager and use app_info? I may have to investigate that.

Interestingly, if you have a single and double precision card in the same box and run MW it will run 2 WUs at once. But wait, doesn't that mean one is running single precision? No, what it means is that the app says "Hey, I can't run on this!" and the BOINC Manager in it's stupidity says "But this other card can..." and then makes both WUs run in parallel on the double precision card rather than making 1 WU wait (which would, in theory, mean an app that only needs single precision could then run on the 2nd card). That's why you can't run one project on either card, the apps know better but the manager doesn't care. They're debating whether or not they're going to fix that still.

Sooo... you can run all Collatz, or you can run MW and have an idle card.

At least... I think. On MW I know how this behaves, but I've not actually tried mixing both due to the fact MW takes over both cards courtesy of the manager being retarded. I do know you can mix both projects on a single machine, I've got my 4870 doing that. It doesn't balance very well, but both projects get some work done. My 4890 is running just MW now, because, well... it's hard to turn down 100k/day from a single card lol.

John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
My 4890 is running just MW now, because, well... it's hard to turn down 100k/day from a single card lol.

You saw mine doing that, didn't you... Twisted Evil

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Galt 007 wrote:
JerWA wrote:
My 4890 is running just MW now, because, well... it's hard to turn down 100k/day from a single card lol.

You saw mine doing that, didn't you... Twisted Evil

Actually no, Collatz was down for a few days so I got my 4870 and 4890 onto MW for the first time in quite awhile. I hadn't forgotten how nice the points are, but I'm trying to stay on Collatz since it helps our vault score and MW is just mental mastur... well yeah.

#ni-1

John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to get to 50 mil for me...Randy will beat me there, but the milestone will be nice to have...

BTW, has anyone talked to Randy (imcrazynow) lately??? I got a PM from him a few weeks back about Collatz, but haven't heard from him since... Confused

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upped to the latest drivers and collatz still won't sort itself. The thread on their forum about the separate optimized apps shows that the linux cuda apps still need manual installation. I did however, download an optimized cpu app. Which is apparently slower than the stock app on 64 bit systems. So it's GPU only. And you can make a project ignore the gpu on the newer boinc (6.10.1Cool, but you do have to use an app info file. I need bacon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: