KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crisis? What crisis?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:46 am    Post subject: Crisis? What crisis? Reply with quote

As posted in JerWA's thread -
me wrote:
We all seem to have lost our sparkle over the last couple of years for whatever reasons, and the team is just not the same as it used to be.
It would be great if we could all work together to reclaim our former 'glory'. We need to get the team back up there. We need to scare the pants off the teams that are ahead of us.
This has been a great team to be involved with. We've all just got to put in the effort to make it great again.

So what are going to do about it?
Try group therapy? Cry into our beer? Sit in a corner and twiddle our thumbs because we feel sorry for ourselves?
Bulldust! Yes I've been guilty of team neglect (explanation in 'Where is everybody' thread). But sitting around and feeling sorry for ourselves isn't going to fix things, is it.
I've started a discussion on the fb group wall, and I'm starting a discussion here.
We want to be proud of this team. We want to make all the other teams cringe when they hear our name. Just like the good old days. Have we been banned from all the other team forums yet? Nope.
We haven't been banned from all the other team forums (with the possible exception of Wabbit) because we're not striking fear into their hearts with our intelligent and logical discourse (read maniacal rambling).

Suggestions -
It would help if the admins could be more open to suggestions re the forum, and discuss the whys/why nots of suggestions. Updated smileys would be good, and possibly a chat feature for those who would like it. I have seen that on an LFN forum I used to go to.

Sir Hamster and Al Dente are quite involved, but it would be nice to see more of Sir Baldyhead, MacG, and the seemingly invisible Jonnyv when they have time.
If the admins and mods are seen to take an interest in the forum itself, then the team will be more inclined to be more involved in team discussions as well as the silly stuff.

We need to get the good taunters fired up. I'm a complete failure at taunting, although it did get me kicked off the Aussie team forum. (What a bunch of sad sacks they were.)
Okay, my taunts usually just turn into polite chats on other team forums because I feel bad for tossing insults. Rolling Eyes
The only way to kick butt is to roll out the champs and make the other teams shiver in their boots.

The most important thing of all is to work together, have fun doing it, and try to climb out of the rut.

Suggestions?

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Crisis? What crisis? Reply with quote

This isn't the first time we've had this discussion, and it probably won't be the last Wink

My memory is a bit hazy here, but I think it was like five or six years ago we cleaned out some old admins and mods and assigned the current positions. Or was it more?

Personally I wouldn't mind doing some changes again, but we also need to be somewhat careful about who we give admin rights to. Skill alone is not sufficient I think. More discussion about this would be nice, but discussion requires presence, so it's hard to come to any conclusions when most people involved are never around... Rolling Eyes

Michelle wrote:
Sir Hamster and Al Dente are quite involved, but it would be nice to see more of Sir Baldyhead, MacG, and the seemingly invisible Jonnyv when they have time.

Sir Dente is not a moderator, but I think he would be a good choice! Wink

Michelle wrote:
It would help if the admins could be more open to suggestions re the forum, and discuss the whys/why nots of suggestions. Updated smileys would be good, and possibly a chat feature for those who would like it.

Why is everyone so obsessed with the forum software?
I come here to chat with my friends, and read fun posts by silly people. Sir Hamsters science posts always gets me in a good mood (thanks man, and keep them coming! Very Happy )
It's the content that matters, not the surface on which it is presented.
We get a spammer or two sometimes. So what? Just ignore them and those posts are usually cleaned out within a day.

Michelle wrote:
If the admins and mods are seen to take an interest in the forum itself, then the team will be more inclined to be more involved in team discussions as well as the silly stuff.

We need to get the good taunters fired up. [...]

The most important thing of all is to work together, have fun doing it, and try to climb out of the rut.

I agree with all of the above!

One problem is that we're moving over large time-spans here. We can't change admins and mods once a year. We need the stability of long-time assignments. However, over the course of many years a lot of things can happen. People lose their jobs, get new ones, moves to new locations, etc. This means people can be very active a while, go away for a year or two, and then come back again. Right now we are in kind of a dry-spell. Perhaps it's the recession? I don't know. But I still hope that things will change for the better again.
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mildew, I had a name brain fart! Your name was supposed to be in the 'nice to see more of' list too but my mind went blank. Rolling Eyes

I joined after the admin and mod change so I have no idea about the previous ones, but I really don't see any need to even suggest changing now. It would just be nice if some of the less visible ones took a more active role in discussions, particularly team strategy. I'm not talking about setting up a camp bed in the corner and spending 24 hours a day at the forum. That would be too silly, even for here.
I'm talking about being a bit more involved as time and real life allow.
Real life has to take precedence, we all understand that and we've all had long breaks from the forum.
I'm just so glad that the forum isn't over-moderated and that on the whole we're mature enough to not get into fisticuffs with everyone who disagrees with our pov.
I lurk in the southeast Queensland thread at the weatherzone forum particularly when there are storms around because a lot of storm chasers post there and it's quite interesting. The sad part is that people have been admonished for anything that resembles a 'chatty' post. Today when someone posted about the storm warning being cancelled, someone posted about not being able to use storms as an excuse to get out of going to the shopping centre, and someone else replied that at least there might still be some rain around, they were told to keep posts relevant to the topic.
We're pretty lucky here in that regard and I'm sure that most of us do appreciate it.

Mildew wrote:
Right now we are in kind of a dry-spell. Perhaps it's the recession? I don't know. But I still hope that things will change for the better again.

You could be right about the recession bit. I imagine it's the same in a lot of places at the moment. Hard to get a job if you haven't got one Confused , and a lot of people having to take shorter hours and less money to keep the job that they have.

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am here often, (more than I post) but I have to say that sometimes there is a long time before anyone else is.

I am really not concerned with the appearance of the board that much. This is what it looks like.......

I still think a News letter is a good idea, I mean, the team founders have the email address of all the members active or not. At least we could keep in touch with the knights who never visit here. This just may be the best thing, some new blood.....

Regarding the activity of the mods and members... I don't remember anyone ever getting into an argument here, The closest thing would be JerWA's anger over the lack of change and involvement and that was just a firm ultimatum. Bummer that he felt that the only course of action was to take his ball and go home....

Additionally our Stats site that is linked to almost all projects home pages really Sucks.... I don't mean to be insulting but it is really outdated and doesn't include half of my projects... That was one of the things that brought me to the Team in the first place... I must say that it wouldn't have the same result now.

Like I stated in another post I won't be leaving this team no matter what...
If the last one out shuts off the lights I will be sitting in the dark, but it must be understood that this is not the opinion of most of the members of the team, in fact it is my belief that most of the Team members don't even know that this site exists, and that is where the real problem lies, I think.

We really can't have a relevant discussion of this situation unless we somehow get more members involved in it....
I think that we somehow must get more of our members involved at least to the extent that they know this forum exists.......

Just my 2 cents #ni-1
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think why the taunts have not quited work as well as they used too, are a combination of two things. First, I think the other teams are getting used to are style. Second, that we as Knights need to go over with are own individual style. When we do it now we all try to do the same thing. I can do the confusing posts, but we need someone like Sir Fart, who posted slightly more mean and sarcastic posts on the other teams forum. Also reverse taunting, when a team is about to pass us we taunt them that we will be taking their spot and there is nothing they can do about it.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's brainstorm. I think this is a good opportunity to throw up some ideas for recruitment and such. Papa Smurf talked about the newsletter idea, and I think that's a good one. But I think we can do a few better. From lurking around other teams sites, I'm of the belief that a 'portal' is a great way to put a face on the site and welcome potential shrubbers to the team. We can learn a little from SUSA or the Lunatics for example (but there are plenty of others out there). The front page could contain everything from an 'About Us' to recent forum posts to POTM blurb and stats to team/DC news to a shoutbox.

Right now, if a person were to find our team link (which is mostly listed as www.kwsnforum.com), they'd come to the forums. And as great as the forums are, it's just forums. There is the kwsn.net site that has some info, but is not utilized well in relation to here.

Maybe, like Mildew said, the forum software is not so bad, I don't know. But I just think we could do better for recruitment if we gave ourselves a facelift.

I came to this team because I was new to DC and I like the sillyness. I don't want to get too serious with all these projects. Half of them seem sillier than us! So one question to answer is what brought you to the Knights? What is the draw for someone else to come to the Knights? How can we keep people shrubbing for the Knights?

>stats<
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'portal' idea was part of what I was trying to get changed back in 2007. It can even be done as a mod to phpBB, so that you aren't dealing with an entirely different software with its own accounts and all that nonsense. But again, if we can't even manage to update to the newest version of the software we're already using, how can anyone really expect us to change something?

As for how the forum looks, I think it matters more than anyone else seems to. The forums are where most people are linked, as mentioned. I know that I personally didn't actually find the other site until I had been on this forum for years. As such, they are the "face" of the KWSN. phpBB has been around a long time, probably 10 years. As such, most people that have used forums have used phpBB, and of those most have seen the default theme and grown tired of it. What it says about us, as a team, is that we're either a) too incompetent to make our own theme, or b) not interested in making our own theme, both of which are reasons for potential new members to look elsewhere in my opinion. Given that it's a process built into the software, it's not even a lot of work. And, you don't have to change the default (though I'd like to), so it wouldn't even impact anyone that didn't want it to.

If someone were to come to the forums right now, as a new user, the only reason they'd join is NOT BOINC related, which seems like a bit of a failure to me. I joined because this team was in the top 10 and the only one not an organization or company. Would I join today if I were new? Hell no. We're steadily loosing ground, we can't put more than 20 users on a project, there are zero posts about how to optimize for a project, etc.

I can understand not wanting to be "too serious," but the net effect is no seriousness at all. Every attempt at a serious thread is met with mockery and random useless crap, which means that users will think twice about even bothering before posting again. Which, subsequently, means anyone who IS serious about BOINC even a little has nothing to gain by being on this team. As I've mentioned over and over (and over and over), you can't even HAVE a serious conversation on these forums. Not a single one. Which means if you've got a technical question, or you want to know how to optimize a project to run better, would YOU ask it here?

The end result is a forum unrelated to BOINC that actively discourages any post that IS on topic, while showing dedicated BOINC users that we don't care, aren't involved, aren't organized, etc. It doesn't even MATTER what the truth of the situation is, because no new user is going to stick around to find out.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with more web writing experience than me will have to do it. If you go on IRC on a EFNet serve and go to the channel #setiathome you will Jonnyv, and you can talk to him about setting up a portal, and I will be there to provide moral support.

Ni
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWa, it's clear that you have issues with this team and I can accept that. But I think you need to take a very hard look at why things aren't happening the way you would like to see them go.

For reference, I joined this team before BOINC had even been thought of. It meets my needs fully. Some people, and I would include myself with them, don't care what a forum looks like. If everything is organized well and the links work, that's enough for me.

This is my opinion so take it as you may, it's clear your opinion is different, but I see this team as a place to come to socialize, banter slightly, and relax, not a place to get overly worked up about anything. The competition is welcome and a fun bit of a diversion, but not everyone is a power admin super computer freak. Personally, I gave up on any attempt at competition because I don't have access to hundreds of computers to do my bidding. Any time I started to post reasonable numbers or get any kind of position, I would see my status gone in two weeks because someone decided to best me on a whim. And I'm referring to a project that I might have spent years working to get to the place I'd reached wiped out in under two weeks. This is not a source of fun so I distanced myself from it.

My point is to find what is fun for you and enjoy that aspect of it. If you're not having fun, find it wherever it may be. Apparently you have found that aspect at your new team and I'm quite happy for you.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to bring up a point about members of other teams. We've had quite a few come in to visit over the years, but there has been a noticeable absence over the last year or so.
If we want to attract new members, and some of those could be from other teams, we have to go about it in the right way. I'm not talking about rolling out the red carpet or desperately welcoming them with open arms.
I'm talking about keeping the rival team visitor taunts light and friendly.
We don't want them to think they're coming here for some friendly banter, only to be chased away by some members of our team who take the taunting a little bit too seriously.
There's been a few times where it has started out as a bit of fun and then one of our team has overreacted and the other person hasn't come back again.
IMO we can't do that if we want to attract new members. Taunt away, but just remember that it isn't meant to be serious.
#ni-1

KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like the informality here..... I also like that fact that people in the team understand that "Real Life" exists and people come and go as they can with no come back... (welcome Back A Shrubbery BTW)

when I started this thing nearly 4 years ago, I visted the BoincSynergy website and was confronted with the fact that they had appointed individual project specific team captains and subcaptains.... I mean come one...this is supposed to be fun!, I have enough of "Reporting to people" at work.

If you want an organised team structure, I wouldn't recommend KWSN, that's what I thinks frustrated Jeremy, as this informality is also applied by the forum moderators...

Keith

#ni-1 #ni-1

Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killerrabbit wrote:
I think why the taunts have not quited work as well as they used too, are a combination of two things. First, I think the other teams are getting used to are style. Second, that we as Knights need to go over with are own individual style. When we do it now we all try to do the same thing. I can do the confusing posts, but we need someone like Sir Fart, who posted slightly more mean and sarcastic posts on the other teams forum . Also reverse taunting, when a team is about to pass us we taunt them that we will be taking their spot and there is nothing they can do about it.

Ni

Who are you calling mean and sarcastic, WABBIT Mad ?!

I'm gonna wrap your ears around your scrawny throat until your eyes pop out Twisted Evil . And that's before I toss you into a pot of boiling water like a furry lobster Shocked . After I boil the last of your fur off, it's onto the deep fryer as It'll be easier to pull your legs off after you're crispy Surprised .

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, Fwied Wabbit. My favwourite; am I invited to the party.

I must admit that that's what I like about this forum - no-one takes anything too seriously.

No, I'll re-phrase that. No-one takes anything seriously.

And I think that's why I'll stay. Real life is too serious, we all need an outlet for our inate loonacy.

#ni-1

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fried wabbit? I have to call the ag teacher at the school, she was gonna have one of her kids raise me some wabbits so I could make wabbit stew!

#ni-1
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What were we talking about again????

Oh well,..............It doesn't matter #ni-1
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the need for seriousness at times. On occassion one might want to ask something without the frivolity. Maybe a section of the forum could be set up and nor frivolity would be allowed.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
I understand the need for seriousness at times. On occassion one might want to ask something without the frivolity. Maybe a section of the forum could be set up and nor frivolity would be allowed.

the gorge?

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, now.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:

Hosenfeffer!

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Shrubbery wrote:
Sir Papa Smurph wrote:

Hosenfeffer!

Every day the Same Thing,.... Variety! #ni-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: