KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ANOTHER bit of shrubbery for F@H
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> The Bragging Yard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: ANOTHER bit of shrubbery for F@H Reply with quote

I just added a larger bit of shrubbery to the F@H project, AND I have just reached 500,000 points while posting this note. Not too shabby for 3 months!

This is my first self-built shrubbing machine (I built it on 11Dec09 afternoon/evening), and here's the specifics:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (Deneb) 125W
CPU-Cooler: XIGMATEK AIO-S80DP All-in-one liquid CPU cooling system
Mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 (with 4x PCIe-16 slots)
MEM: OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 2x for a total of 8GB
Case: Thermaltake Armour+ (VH6000BWS)
PSU: Thermaltake W0133RU Toughpower (1200W, active PFC, modular cables)
UPS: 1320W UPS/Battery Backup
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
GPU1: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX275 1792MB 448-bit GDDR3 factory overclocked to 715 MHz
GPU2: (waiting for GTX300 series)
GPU3: (waiting for GTX300 series)
GPU4: (waiting for GTX300 series)

This is my 4th shrubbery that I am using almost 100% for F@H.

My 1st shrubbery is outfitted with a GTS250 (factory overclocked); but this is my 'main' home-use computer, so sometimes the GPU processing gets impacted if I'm net-surfing or using Windows Media Center to watch videos/TV, etc. I don't do CPU folding on this shrubbery because I'm afraid of frying the CPU.

I also have a PS3 (running in 'expert' mode) and a little Acer Aspire micro box (CPU folding) that just sit around and contribute their little bits, albeit ever so glacially.

With my new shrubbery, I hope to double my points & WU production!!!

I like THIS site for stats: Here's a link to our F@H team stats (since Boinc doesn't keep track of F@H anymore!)

Some may think I'm a little crazy to spend so much time (and $$) with F@H, but since my father was a victim of both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, I feel compelled to do whatever I can to help find cures or effective treatments.
#ni-1

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

Last edited by Putting_things_on_top on Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
Idan
UN-Smitten
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one nice shrubbery! Surprised

I bet it will make you proud! Very Happy

stooper101
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go Sir KWSN_Putting_things_on_top_____of_other_things (you know, we really gotta get you a nick name)! That is a very fine accomplishment and a mighty shrubber!
#ni-1

>stats<
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ANOTHER bit of shrubbery for F@H Reply with quote

Putting_things_on_top wrote:
I just added a larger bit of shrubbery to the F@H project, AND I have just reached 500,000 points while posting this note. Not too shabby for 3 months!

This is my first self-built shrubbing machine (I built it on 11Dec09 afternoon/evening), and here's the specifics:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition (Deneb) 125W
CPU-Cooler: XIGMATEK AIO-S80DP All-in-one liquid CPU cooling system
Mobo: MSI 790FX-GD70 (with 4x PCIe-16 slots)
MEM: OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2x2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 2x for a total of 8GB
Case: Thermaltake Armour+ (VH6000BWS)
PSU: Thermaltake W0133RU Toughpower (1200W, active PFC, modular cables)
UPS: 1320W UPS/Battery Backup
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
GPU1: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX275 1792MB 448-bit GDDR3 factory overclocked to 715 MHz
GPU2: (waiting for GTX300 series)
GPU3: (waiting for GTX300 series)
GPU4: (waiting for GTS300 series)

This is my 4th shrubbery that I am using almost 100% for F@H.

My 1st shrubbery is outfitted with a GTS250 (factory overclocked); but this is my 'main' home-use computer, so sometimes the GPU processing gets impacted if I'm net-surfing or using Windows Media Center to watch videos/TV, etc. I don't do CPU folding on this shrubbery because I'm afraid of frying the CPU.

I also have a PS3 (running in 'expert' mode) and a little Acer Aspire micro box (CPU folding) that just sit around and contribute their little bits, albeit ever so glacially.

With my new shrubbery, I hope to double my points & WU production!!!

I like THIS site for stats: Here's a link to our F@H team stats (since Boinc doesn't keep track of F@H anymore!)

Some may think I'm a little crazy to spend so much time (and $$) with F@H, but since my father was a victim of both Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, I feel compelled to do whatever I can to help find cures or effective treatments.
#ni-1

Thank you for contributing to a very worthy cause.
It has been my passion for about 5 years now.
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: An update (about shrubbery cards) Reply with quote

I'm not completely thrilled with the GTX275; it seems to be under-performing my GTS250 (by about 18% according to my estimates).
I checked the realtime stats of both cards (using RivaTuner)...I think this may be germane:

I'm running my 275 on an AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (Deneb) 3.4GHz with 8GB DDR3 memory.
GTX275 (1.8GB DDR3, 240 cores) CoreROP=712MHz, Mem=1260MHz, Shader=1548MHz (factory OC'd)

I'm running my 250 on an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ (Windsor) 2.6GHz with 3GB DDR2 memory.
GTS250 (1GB DDR3, 128 cores) CoreROP=756MHz, Mem=1116MHz, Shader=1836MHz (factory OC'd)

My little Athlon with the 250 card seems to be wiping the floor with my brand-new Phenom and 275! #Mad
Anyone have any insight about what might be the most significant spec (CoreROP or Shader, etc) as a touchstone for evaluating nvidia shrubberies?

BTW - I have not 'tweaked' either of these shrubberies - these are "out-of-the-box" setups.

Last edited by Putting_things_on_top on Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: and another thing Reply with quote

I just had a spate of NAN and EUE problems which caused my GPU client (on my 250) causing it to stop for 24 hours (after about 6 futile attempts within about an hour).

What's up with such a LONG suspension?

I just restarted my client - I was thoroughly annoyed. #evil

Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not running any GPUs, so I have no idea.

But judging from you sig, I think you would do great in Majestic12 Cool
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mildew wrote:

I must disagree, He would get shut off by Comcast. They only allow 250gig a month and I got 950gig with a 6 meg connection...
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
... They only allow 250gig a month.

#Shocked

The horror... The horror...
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
Mildew wrote:

I must disagree, He would get shut off by Comcast. They only allow 250gig a month and I got 950gig with a 6 meg connection...

I have Comcast cable-modem.
There is no per-month transfer (upload/download) quota.
I am limited only by the available bandwidth on the cable-modem itself (and the 'concentrator' in my building).

BTW: What is Majestic12?

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually there is a 250GB/month cap. Read your Terms of Service:
http://www.comcast.net/terms/use/

Under the Are there restrictions on data consumption heading:
Quote:
Comcast has established a monthly data consumption threshold per Comcast High-Speed Internet account of 250 Gigabytes (“GB”). Use of the Service in excess of 250GB per month is excessive use and is a violation of the Policy.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majestic12 is a search engine, like google or yahoo, but it hasn't got two cool 'o':s in the name, it can't really find anything useful, and it uses a distributed system for crawling the Internet in search of information (like pr0n and such ).

Most important is that you get stats for the crawling

But since you could end up downloading about 100GB per day it would not go very well with a 250BG per month bandwidth cap Wink
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, actually mentioning it in the Terms of Service is a relatively recent development. They used to just shut people off with no warning.

Of Course, 250GB is quite a bit, and ComCast isn't the only company with such a policy, but it always helps to be aware of the issue.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stooper101 wrote:
Way to go Sir KWSN_Putting_things_on_top_____of_other_things (you know, we really gotta get you a nick name)! That is a very fine accomplishment and a mighty shrubber!
#ni-1

Sir "KWSN - Patoot" - NAH... Imagery is all bad...
Sir "KWSN- Potato" - Nope, still no-worky...

Sir "KWSN- Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-Ekki-PTANG. Zoom-Boing. Z'nourrwringmm"

YESSSSSS!
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting_things_on_top wrote:
Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
Mildew wrote:

I have Comcast cable-modem.
There is no per-month transfer (upload/download) quota.
I am limited only by the available bandwidth on the cable-modem itself (and the 'concentrator' in my building).

BTW: What is Majestic12?

Last year I was running Majestic and I got a call from Comcast and they said " you are in the top 10% of all our customers in Bandwidth, You used 450Gb last month..." I said "no I used 955Gb in the last 30 days..." He said, " do it again and we will shut you off for good, No warning".

I said Bye bye Majestic 12,
That was with a 6 meg connection and I was getting all of that and a little more Twisted Evil

http://www.majestic12.co.uk/projects/dsearch/userinfo.php?id=1473
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Comcast...hmmm... Reply with quote

I spoke to one of my co-workers about Comcast. One of his sisters-in-law works for Comcast (I don't know where), but the gist of his conversation (with her) was that Comcast may be increasingly concerned that some people may try to re-sell access via wireless N+ routers (becoming a local WiFi hotspot)...or something to that effect.

I kinda had to agree (begrudgingly) that Comcast may have a legitimate concern; and if they see an extremely high volume of traffic, they might make some assumptions that are not always correct. Short of trying to do packet-sniffing and traffic-pattern analysis (which would be very costly & time consuming...and possibly illegal) to determine 'legitimate/appropriate' use, they probably just take the easier & cheaper path of invoking the ubiquitous & vague "terms-of-service" provisions.

Oh, thanks for the info on Majestic12. Even if Comcast wasn't in the mix, I would still prefer to donate my shrubbing capacity to more humanitarian (specifically disease research) efforts. And besides, I've been using Google for about 10 years...old habits are hard to break. Never was a fan of Yahoo, AltaVista, or MSN.

There was one short-lived search engine that DID grab my attention 8+ years ago (NorthernLight.com) because it managed your search results into privately customized folders; it claimed to "learn" how you search, what you search for, and how you like to arrange your results. They are now a "technology management and consulting services company". Rolling Eyes

Another one that is interesting (for about 5 minutes - I have a short attention span) is cuil.com. Apparently this venture was started by one of the early chief technology people from Google (I think she had to wait some number of years to get out from a non-compete contract).

Another question (or can someone point me to a good FAQ site): I have been recently getting lots of NaNs/EUEs. These have become beyond irritating for me. Are there any switches that can be set in the GPU client to block a range of poorly designed project numbers? Although it gives one (or both) of my GPUs an unanticipated temporary cool-down break (shuts down for 24 hours after 6 consecutive EUEs - unless I restart the client), I'd like to find a way around this. Any suggestions? #ni-2

Quote:
And we all shall say "NI" unto Hindmost for recently reaching 2,000,000 shrubberies in the F@H forest!!!!

Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
He said, " do it again and we will shut you off for good, No warning".

I said Bye bye Majestic 12,

You should have said "Bye bye Comcast" instead... Rolling Eyes
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: WOW - here's a useful thing... Reply with quote

Here's a link to all the hardware stats and specifics for:
my old shrubber!!!
my NEW shrubber!!!
Some of the verbiage is in Turkish (duh!, this is a Turkish site), but the tabs and little blue arrows(scroll) are clickable.
The graphics tab has a problem (but only on the web, and I hope they fix this soon), but otherwise this is amazing stuff...and free, too!

I think this info utility beats the <stuffing> out of CPU-Z.

If you have multiple shrubbing machines that you'd like to post/display, you'll need separate email addresses for each one (that's how they identify uploaded configs/stats).

Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mildew wrote:
Majestic12 is a search engine, like google or yahoo, but it hasn't got two cool 'o':s in the name, it can't really find anything useful..........

Given what you've just said about MJ12, why, one would have to be a fully fledged, card-carrying, genuine, gold plated, certified, and absolute MORON to participate in such a project.

I'm closing in on 800K MJ12 shrubberies Shocked Very Happy Smile Confused Embarassed Crying or Very sad .

#ni-2

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fart in your gen direxion wrote:
Mildew wrote:
Majestic12 is a search engine, like google or yahoo, but it hasn't got two cool 'o':s in the name, it can't really find anything useful..........

Given what you've just said about MJ12, why, one would have to be a fully fledged, card-carrying, genuine, gold plated, certified, and absolute MORON to participate in such a project.

I'm closing in on 800K MJ12 shrubberies Shocked Very Happy Smile Confused Embarassed Crying or Very sad .

#ni-2

Haha!

You will never be a bigger moron than me! Very Happy

Smile

Confused

You know what I mean... Rolling Eyes

Happy folding, Sir Ptotoot! #ni-1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> The Bragging Yard All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: