KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Windows 7
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:54 am    Post subject: Windows 7 Reply with quote

Has anyone tried windows 7 yet?

I am still running XP 32 bit on all my machines and I am considering trying out 7.

Most reviews are positive. Vista was a complete disaster, I only have it on my laptop and it SUCKS....

I tried Ubuntu and found it to be....slightly less than user friendly.

Should I make the plunge or stay with XP, What thinks the Knights
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Windows 7 Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
Has anyone tried windows 7 yet?

I am still running XP 32 bit on all my machines and I am considering trying out 7.

Most reviews are positive. Vista was a complete disaster, I only have it on my laptop and it SUCKS....

I tried Ubuntu and found it to be....slightly less than user friendly.

Should I make the plunge or stay with XP, What thinks the Knights

XP is solid, if you don't have to change, why do it?
That being said, I ran Win 7 Pro RC (64 bit) on one of my machines before the summer shutdown, and it ran without issue. I just have a hard time justifying $200-$300 to run Boinc (That is why most of my machines are Linux). I may eventually change my Win XP Pro X64 machine over as X64 continues to have all sorts of odd-ball problems, but once again, spending $199 for an upgrade to fix Micro$oft's problems sucks! If the upgrade was $50 of something reasonable I would probably do it.
(Actually I am hoping that ReactOS Beta will run Boinc when it comes out http://www.reactos.org/en/index.html).

#Microwave

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just have a hard time justifying $200-$300 to run Boinc

Whoa,.... You pay for your OS's?????

I have never given Microstuft a dime in my life.....
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am assuming you would want to try 64-bit, right? If you were to D/L via Torrent software from http://fileshare178.depositfiles.com/auth-1250339469e88851c1c18c1abf3f698d-76.7.153.62-523068771-23017207-guest/FS178-2/MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.7.ULTIMATE.7600.16385.RTM.X64.OEM.ENGLISH.DVD.torrent. The best way to use Windows 7 for free currently is to rearm Windows 7 for 120 days with no activation required. Follow these steps to reset and extend activation grace period from 30 days to 120 days in Windows 7:

1.Install Windows 7 without any product activation key.
2.After installation is completed, use the Windows 7 for 30 days and wait for the remaining days left to activate Windows counting down to 0, or almost zero.
3.When the activation grace period (or evaluation trial period) is almost expired or ended, log on to Windows 7 desktop, and open a Command Prompt window (i.e. type Cmd in Start Search and hit Enter).
4.Type any of the following commands into the command prompt, and then hit Enter:
Quote:

sysprep /generalize

slmgr.vbs –rearm

rundll32 slc.dll,SLReArmWindows

slmgr /rearm
5.Reboot Windows 7 to enjoy another 30 days of free usage without worrying about activation nor even need to crack Windows 7.
6.When the activation grace period countdown timer almost running down to 0 again, repeat the ‘rearm’ trick to enjoy another 30 days of Windows 7 for free. User can run the rearm command for maximum of 3 times.
As rearm only works for 3 times, make sure the command is only been run when the 30 days countdown of evaluation period is almost expired.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. Better than Vista in every way, better driver support than XP (especially 64bit). I've only run into one machine that wouldn't run it, which is why that machine is on Vista (and the points/day is bad because it's been offline more than a week, it's the one I just rebuilt and replaced bad hardware in).

I'm actually going to try an upgrade from Vista to see if that gets around whatever issue it's having. I've run Win 7 home basic on a pentium 3 with 512MB of RAM just fine, so this X2 3800 should be capable.

Biggest PITA is if you play around with an RC (build 7100) you're gonna have to do a "clean" upgrade to RTM (7600) or just a clean install. That's why two are still at odd builds (7100 and 7264), haven't had time to fix them. Have until next year before the old builds timebomb, so eh I'll get around to it.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go ahead, try Win7, but be prepared for lots of these (which will all naturally be fixed in Win8).

...Think I'll stick to GNU/Linux (thought wouldn't mind explorin the contents of the T-Shirt).

Ni!
Fang

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. 7 is way better than Vista, and driver support is 100x better than XP 64. Don't hate until you've tried it, and don't forget that RC (build 7100) is very old relative to release code.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Adam Alexander
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have it running the RC on my AMD box and have had no problems at all. Much better than Vista so far, but I'm not sure that's really saying anything.

Currently running:

Active
Intel Core 2 Quad 9550

Reserves
Now down to one Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 that's in a tiny case and overheats if I actually try to use all four cores at the same time. On the other hand, it makes for a very nice home theater PC
Intel Core i7 CPU 920
AMD Athlon(tm) 7850
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want a copy of Win 7 RC that will run until March of next year your last day to download it from MS is tomorrow.

LanDroid
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohiomike stated "If the upgrade was $50 or something reasonable I would probably do it."

About 2 months ago, there was a brief period when you could pre-order Win 7 for that price, which I did. I intend to go from Vista 32 to Win 7 64 bit, mainly to boost Boinc efficiency a little... Requires install from scratch, wish me luck end of October!
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LanDroid wrote:
Ohiomike stated "If the upgrade was $50 or something reasonable I would probably do it."

About 2 months ago, there was a brief period when you could pre-order Win 7 for that price, which I did. I intend to go from Vista 32 to Win 7 64 bit, mainly to boost Boinc efficiency a little... Requires install from scratch, wish me luck end of October!

If you did that pre order from newegg you should take a look at the order status.
#Mad

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Sir Furry Mark
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I caught the Amazon pre-order pricing (£89) for Windows 7 Pro and ordered a couple of copies. Unfortunately it will be the 'E' version, so will be a clean install instead of an upgrade and no built-in Internet Explorer... Just a moment, what am I saying? I'm replacing Vista... Rolling Eyes

I'll say that again.
Fortunately it will be the 'E' version, so will be a clean install instead of an upgrade and no built-in Internet Explorer Twisted Evil

#ni-1
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded a couple of torrents but I haven't tried them yet. I am thinking of just concentrating on Ubuntu and using Wine for things that I cant do without WinBlows....

I would be using Ubuntu now if I could get the Video drivers to properly install #Mad

I have 3 dedicated shrubbers now and running windows on them is stupid.... #ni-1
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are manually installing video drivers in ubuntu, it's annoying.

Make sure you have kernel headers installed. Make sure you have build-essential installed. Make sure you have linux-source installed. Make sure you have gcc installed.

Make sure any other video drivers you installed are uninstalled.

Reboot into recovery mode prompt
type: telinit 3
it'll restart the gui. press ctrl + alt + F1
back in console

sudo /etc/gdm stop

install your drivers using sudo. tinker with your xorg config file if your installer doesn't set it for you.

sudo reboot.

have a beer

maybe another

you should be good. best to have another comp up so you can research any issues that come up.
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My lappy came with Vista on it and I had some issues, it was not smooth. BOINC wasn't happy with it, drivers were inconsistant and tempermental.
So I took it down to XP pro with all the service packs. Happy with lappy since. Cool

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

johnswhite
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:54 am    Post subject: windows 7 Reply with quote

I like windows 7 and It is really good operating systems. It is better than previous all operating systems of Microsoft. I like the most feature of windows 7 is touchscreen. It is amazing feature. It is saving our time.It is faster than windows XP and windows Vista. It is also supporting the ext2/ext3.
Putting_things_on_top
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just built a NEW shrubber with Win7/64 Ultimate last week.
This was ABSOLUTELY the best Windows install yet...and I've been doing these since Win 3.11.
I do recommend the Ultimate version - just because it has everything you might need.
Get a good high-end CPU and highly compatible memory...and you should be in business!!

Although many people complained about Vista, I really didn't have a problem with it.
Yes, it was kinda "bloated" and not all that efficient (nothing a lot of extra memory couldn't resolve).
But Win7 is orders of magnitude better. {yes, let's all mention a bucket...and a cleaning woman!}

I also played briefly with Ubuntu - it seemed stable & efficient enough, but I have to agree that it isn't particularly friendly or intuitive.

BTW:

Here's a link to all the hardware stats and specifics for:
my old shrubber!!! which I am still using
my NEW shrubber!!! built and put into shrubbery production around 12/11/09
Some of the verbiage is in Turkish (duh!, this is a Turkish site), but the tabs and little blue arrows(item scrolls) are clickable.
The graphics tab has a problem (but only on the web, and I hope they fix this soon), but otherwise this is amazing stuff...and free, too!

I think this info utility beats the <stuffing> out of CPU-Z.

If you have multiple shrubbing machines that you'd like to post/display, you'll need separate email addresses for each one (that's how they register/identify uploaded configs/stats).

Or here for...KWSN F@H team overtake at EOC

A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a college student, I managed to snag a copy of W7-64 ultimate for $29. I'm usually the first one to jump on the bashing M$ bandwagon, but this time they appear to have actually done something right.

Basically, they just fixed a bunch of issues and didn't push out a batch of new features that hadn't been properly tested or coded.

Have to say, this is the best release since 3.11.

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Shrubbery wrote:
As a college student, I managed to snag a copy of W7-64 ultimate for $29.

I'd take a few of these. #evil #ni-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: