KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is a serious question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady DC
Princess DC
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:21 pm    Post subject: This is a serious question Reply with quote

My husband is getting a new computer. How can I put BOINC on without him knowing that it is on there? I use to have LLrnet. But that has gone by the way side.

Leon Day is coming. A most wonderful day to celebrate.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/ladydc_counter.php[/img]

Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

llrnet is still active. Though it'll take us close to a year to gain a spot I think. If he is running linux then Boinc can run in the background and not be noticed, if it's windows, it'll have that icon down in the bottom right I think no matter what you do. But you might get away with it.
Sir Tux
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:48 am    Post subject: Re: This is a serious question Reply with quote

Lady DC wrote:
My husband is getting a new computer. How can I put BOINC on without him knowing that it is on there? I use to have LLrnet. But that has gone by the way side.

Altough i don't think it is a good idea to run a program on sombody's pc without his concent and knowing i certainly would not like it, notice and find it ...

This is from the boinc wiki:

Code:
Installing on Windows
From BOINC
Jump to: navigation, search

Download the installer then click the installer icon to begin the installation process.

You can set install options by clicking the "Advanced" button on the configuration screen. The options are:

* Program directory - where BOINC's program files will be stored.
    * Data directory - where BOINC's data files will be stored.
    * Use BOINC screensaver - Use the BOINC screensaver for the current user.
    * Protected application execution - Run project applications under an unprivileged account. This provides increased protection against faulty applications, but it may cause graphics to not work with older applications.
    * Allow all users on this computer to control BOINC - If selected (public mode), all users can control BOINC (attach/detach projects, etc.). If not selected (private mode), the only users who can control BOINC are: the installing user, members of the Administrator group, and members of the 'boinc_users' group. When other users run the BOINC Manager, they'll be shown a dialog saying to contact the administrator to add them to the 'boinc_users' group.

To run BOINC invisibly, choose the "Protected application execution" option, then delete the BOINC shortcut from the Start/Programs/BOINC and Start/Programs/Startup menus (locate BOINC in each menu, right-click, select Delete). You can still run the BOINC Manager by going to C:\Program Files\BOINC and double-clicking on boincmgr.exe

Erland.

The farm:
- 2 Intel quadcore xeon E5335 @ 2GhZ
- 2 Intel quadcore xeon E3220 @ 2.4 GhZ
- 1 AMD quadcore Phenom 9600 @ 2.4 GhZ
- 1 AMD quadcore Phenom II X4 940 @ 3 GhZ
- 1 intel dualcore E2200 @ 2.2 GhZ
and a bunch of athlon's
John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is simple...You are the woman of the house...what you say, goes...if he doesn't like it, he can sleep on the couch, if the dog and/or cat hasn't gotten there yet...

Twisted Evil

Seriously...install it, and have it to suspend work when there is activity. He will not notice it...

#ni-1

EDIT: And don't forget...it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission...

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he not like us? Why would he object to a few measly shrubs being done for a good cause? SPANK HIM!!!!!

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Lady DC
Princess DC
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I got the new computer online. Just one issue though. When I reboot the system, the Boinc Manager automatically starts up and minmizes. (I am able to close it and the applications keep running.) I have checked all Startups and there is nothing there. Any suggestions?

PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine doesn't - Is it in the Startup Group? - I go to the Tray and make mine appear when I want it - Mine runs all the time...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you install it as a Service. Ie: a privileged account?
Lady DC
Princess DC
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe I installed it as a privilege account. Yes, I have checked Startup and it is not there.

Is there any way to make sure that it did install as a service? This is a Windows XP system.

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto "control panel/administrative tools/services" it should be there.

I have never found a way to rid the system tray of the Icon. If you find one let me know, Please....
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The install defaults to running the BOINC Manager at startup - this is what causes the BOINC Icon in the sys tray. If you install as a service and DO NOT run the BOINC Manager at startup (this is the check box on the last page of the install wizard) then there wil not be a BOINC icon in the sys tray.

There is no way to hide the icon from the tray unless you use the 'Service' install of Boinc. Then when you boot the computer you will never see it. Boinc and and your projects run without you even knowing that they are there. After you install just make a shortcut so that you can get to Boinc when you need to check on things.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always get that Icon no matter how I install it....

I upgraded most of my boxes to 6.6.20 and I installed them both ways on different machines and I still get it..... Confused
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll defer to the BOINC ppl for more... Shared what I found... #ni-2

Spotted a bit more:

Quote:
During the service installation (I don't know if the option is available to single or shared installations) there will be a "Service Installation Configuration" window. At the bottom will be two options that are selectable. "Make BOINC your default screensaver." (I leave unchecked personally) and "Launch BOINC when logging on." Leave the bottom option unchecked to forgo having a BOINC icon appear in the notification area. The icon will appear anytime you launch the BOINC Manager (so as to see your progress, etc.) but can be exited by right clicking on the icon and selecting "Exit". Although the BOINC Manager has been exited, the rest of BOINC (including the project(s)) will still be active.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: