KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Majestic 12 Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:09 pm    Post subject: Majestic 12 Problem Reply with quote

One of the buckets is accessing a URL that my AVG says has the expolit WebAttacker threat.

I used my own browser and tried to go there, and YEP, the AVG says it's not good alrighty!

Anybody know how I should handle this? In the meantime, I have stopped my MJ12 altogether... Sad

I'd appreciate some input, if anyone can help...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4593168_dangerous-malware-part-exploit-webattacker.html

Quote:
This latest web virus news probably ranks up there as among the more slimy activities on the internet! It turns out that the most active virus over the internet is one called "Exploit Webattacker". This virus is believed to have been developed by a group of Russian hackers who sell it to wannabee badguys for $300 with $25 for upgrades, price includes technical support! This virus strain is no joke! It hides in the iframe of a website. (Iframes or Inline Frame is an HTML element which makes it possible to embed an HTML document within another HTML document. Webmasters sometimes use this technology to embed ads on a wepage. Most webmasters don't even know their websites have been tampered in this way). When an unsuspecting users browses to the infected site, the virus scans for a vulnerability in the host computer called an "exploit" where it will proceed to do various bad things such as download passwords, use your computer as a hub for spam mail, and generally wreak havoc on your operating system.

This situation has gotten so serious that Google is offering a free website, "Google Safebrowsing" to test for websites for malware. (for url look below in the "Resources" section)

Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spotted a file in the \Majestic-12\MJ12Node folder called BanList.txt

I'm guessing here...

At the bottom, I added 'quickstoppro.net,b'

Hope this works, because I want to do the MJ12,
but I'm NOT going to jepoardize my PC for it!!

PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My undocumented workaround PHix did NOT work!

I had a different barrel, and it had a different address that caused the same problem!

I tried to add the new address, but my AVG kept on giving me the errors on the bucket until Windows Explorer closed on me!

I'm taking MJ12 out!

I'm glad to have accomplished what I did, both for me and for the team, but I can see these buckets puts our systems at risk!

I'm outta here...
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Sir PP .

Do NOT worry about any virus , trojan ect that MJ12 finds , they are not executed , just reported . Think of the problems that MJ 12 could generate if they were !!! There are literally millions of them out there .
Go to Alex's site (http://www.majestic12.co.uk/forum/) and read .
Keep on shrubin' Very Happy

Regds Grizz .

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You talked me into sticking around for the long haul. I read the FAQ about excluding the NOD32 Subdirectory, and surmised I need to exclude my own AVG Subdirectory. I'll give it a try, and my fingers are crossed! Thanks for a 'bit' of help, Sir Grizz! #ni-2
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to bump up my Workers too. Looks like it helps, at least in my case... I set them at sixty.

While I read about others having over a hundred, even two hundred, I decided to be more conservative.

My laptop is running Muon/DPAD, Majestic, OGR, and BOINC (Currently with Aqua and I just added SHA-1).

I don't want to thin out my laptop's resources TOO much! - Fingers-crossed!
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running M12 on a laptop could be risky. It's a pretty HD intensive program, and lappy HDs tend to get warm, which will reduce the life-span of the disk. Not saying you shouldn't run M12, but keep an eye on the HD, and run it from a desktop computer if you can.
PhastPhred
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx, 'Dew!

Most of my PCs are BORGed, and since they are usually sensitive to using up their bandwidth, I just have the laptop for now. Yes, I have a few others (Read that as "Thank you, OhioMike!"), but I'm fighting off budget problems, too! Shocked Anyhoo, I will add more PCs soon as I can, and I'll keep on watchin' my laptop. I'm giving it all I can! Let's GIT 'EM, BUDDY!!
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a new problem came up - Database Lock (and me with over thirty completed barrels to turn in!)

Quote:
[4/11/2009 7:36:04 AM] Failed to get param CurrUploadBucket due to System.Exception: Database is still locked! Could not run query: pn_select_param Queue size: System.Collections.ArrayList
at Majestic12.EasyDB.intExecQuery(String sQueryName, ArrayList oQueries, String sTranID, Object[] asParams)
at Majestic12.EasyDB.ExecQueryByNameAndTran(String sQueryName, String sTranID, Object[] asParams)
at Majestic12.EasyDB.ExecQueryByName(String sQueryName, Object[] asParams)
at Majestic12.p_SQL.GetParam(EasyDB oEasyDB, String sParam)

I forgot my P/W and evidently didn't use either of my two most-used EMails, so I can't retrieve it... Sigh... T I A, guys...

UPDATE: I tried the 'clean up data' and re-started the program
I guess WUs are going OK, at least it says I have uploaded a half dozen so far...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: