KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suggestions solicited for improved shrubbing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Strabo
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Suggestions solicited for improved shrubbing Reply with quote

#ni-1

My "farm", well it really shouldn't be called a "farm", maybe a small garden, actually just a couple of small windoze boxes. Embarassed It needs to be upgraded to shrub better. One system at a time.

First is an Acer Aspire 5315-2153 (yea, I know, it aspires to be a computer). Specs are below. It is currently running (I use this term loosely) vista home basic. I have tried for 7 months to like vista, and failed, it needs to go away (sound of toilet flushing). All readers are welcome to insert their own comments re vista here mentally. Wink

Pretty much all this system does is sit there and shrub (I never take it anywhere, me thinks it's #Mad at me). I am certain it can be made to shrub more efficiently, but how? I have some ancient experience (read 7+ years & more older, but none more recent) with Linux, a bit with Solaris or what has become Solaris, and a few others (Hey are there any shrubbers that run on CPM? I liked CPM!)( Embarassed think i'm dating myself) Laughing

I have been looking around, considering what to do, oh what to do. Ubuntu or Kubuntu looks kinda good or maybe the new desktop Solaris.
However as I have very limited (read no) experience with shrubbers and what works best with what O/S I decided to ask the Great Council of Experts for their Idea 's.

Quote:
Owner: Strabo
Time created: May 17th, 2008
Last contact with server: May 28th, 2008
Total Credit: 1,607.23
Recent Average Credit: 87.86
Operating system: Windows Vista Home Edition, (06.00.6000.00)
CPU Model: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 530 @ 1.73GHz [x86 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1]
CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
Benchmark Integer Score: 3,657.86 MIPS
Benchmark Floating Point Score: 1,651.12 MIPS
Benchmark Memory Bandwidth: 953.67 MB/sec
Timezone: UTC -5.0 hours
Memory: 1,013.4 MB
Cache: 976.56 KB
Swap: 2.23 GB
Disk Space: 66.7 GB (49.8 GB free)
Download Speed: 252.3 KB/sec
Upload Speed: 17.3 KB/sec
Average Turnaround Time: 0.6 days
Credit Per CPU Hour: 13.2048

Oh, BTW, Sir Strabo will not (at least at this time) overclock the processor. You see he had this really bad habit of KNOWING he could get 10% more, then 3%, then .001% until he let the smoke out and the mirrors just wouldn't work anymore.

If it winds up shrubbing really good maybe I'll take it out once-in-a-while and it won't be mad at me anymore and it will shrub even better!

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

#ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-1

Wednesdays are entirely my fault!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to an answer to the question of OS's as I have several dedicated shrubbers that are athlons and are really not energy efficient, for the same relative power I could run a new Quad. But I just won't retire 5 good machines each at ~ 400 per day. Wink

#ni-1
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
I am looking forward to an answer to the question of OS's as I have several dedicated shrubbers that are athlons and are really not energy efficient, for the same relative power I could run a new Quad. But I just won't retire 5 good machines each at ~ 400 per day. Wink

#ni-1

Why not? One quad can do 4000+ RAC. On Vista even.

http://stats.kwsn.net/host.php?proj=all&hostid[]=6238010
Strabo
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrubbing Serendipity Strikes!

#ni-1

OK things like this NEVER happen to me. Bit of a long story but I need to share it here.

Sir Strabo has just aquired a used "emachines" with an AMD Sempron 3400+, 512 MB ram, DVD and DVDRW dives, floppy, mouse , keyboard, speakers, 15" flat panel display, running Linux MINT(a flavor of Linux I was unaware of, but what do I know?). Included were, backup copies of linux MINT, Original XP Pro with SP2 and its Cert of Auth. (never used or registered the seller said), several other backup cd's and a nice nearly new full sized aluminum briefcase. All for the wonderfully low price of $50.00! I was stunned when he told me what he wanted. Had I not known the seller I probably would not have bought it, suspecting it to be stolen, but he had all of the system passwords and the paperwork to show it was his. Must have been ment to be!

Now I might be able to answer my own question! The system is plugged in, up and running. If it ever finishes downloading and installing the 215 updates it says it needs I will be installing BOINC (if I can fiqure out how to do it in Linux - been a long time!) and letting it run.

I think this system should be pretty similar in performance capability (except for ram) as the laptop above.

I think I will let it shrub as is for about 2 weeks(?) then upgrade the ram and let it run another 2 weeks. By then I think I might get a fair baseline to compare.

Crowd chants "Plant more shrubs, Plant more shrubs!" (sound of clapping coconuts in the background) #ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-1

Oh NO!! I may actually wind up with a small farm! (I'm scaring myself)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strabo wrote:

Yes, this can easily become an obsession.

I have more money tied up in my farm than in my vehicle. #ni-1
Strabo
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#ni-1

Well, well, well.

I think (ouch! that hurt) I figured out at least one of the reasons why my Acer Laptop was not planting shrubs as well as I expected it to (which isn't really great to begin with, but every little bit helps). Of course there IS the fact it's an Acer, More it's a laptop, Even worse it's running (or trying to run) Vista, but that's all beside the point. I had the display set to turn off after 30 minutes of inactivity. This is supposed to keep everything running, but save power and the display. What actually was going on was:

1. It did what is was supposed to do kept running and shrubbing about 50% of the time.

2. It kept Vista running and suspended Boinc, with no shrub planting, about 30% of the time.

3. It put Vista to sleep suspending everything about 20% of the time.

I have found no pattern to this (it appears to randomly apply rule 4).

About 39 hours ago I changed the display settings to never turn off and it has played nice since then. I looked around a bit to see if this was a known bug but didn't find anything, didn't look all that hard though. It's probably a combination of Vista, bios, Boinc, and Seti. My not so brilliant work around seems to be working so I'll leave it at that for a while.

Now one good thing that has developed from this is I suspect the bit of the screen saver in Seti@home that is suposed to be displaying calculations on Dopler drift, Guassians, Triplets etc. (the randomly rearanging red blocks with white waves) really is not doing that at all. What it is actually doing is calculating the effect on New York , NY, of the giant tsunami created when Sir Fart rips a big one just off the coast in the Atlantic. Laughing

#ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-1

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, Vista Confused

Nope, Can't help ya and I hope I never can Wink
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are going to do nothing but shrub I would suggest a minimal gentoo installation with just enough to run boinc. If you are semi-computer literate you can use the handbook (have it open on a separate computer) and go step by step. Get just the basics and then install boinc. Damn Small Linux might be a good choice also, but I haven't played with that in a while.

If you're not comfortable doing this, an easier way might be to use Fedora. Ubuntu can be ok, but if it's not your normal box it will install a lot of junk that you don't need for a box that will sit in the corner and shrub. Fedora will also but not to as great an extent.

Vista is also a resource hog, if you want to stick with windows you should upgrade vista to xp.

A basic linux console with no frills or gui is the best way to go if it's a dedicated shrubber though. Maximizes the resources on boinc instead of software you won't be using.
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I will say about Vista (or XP for that matter) is said by the background I use on my Windoze machine. I'll link to it rather than insert it because it is 1024x768:
Wash Your Hands
Confused

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I won't touch vista, and I keep an XP machine around (actually on a seperate partition of one my gentoo boxes) to play games, which hopefully will be a non issue as more of them become accessible through wine and hopefully in the future will just be available on linux now that video card manufacturers (ATI at least) will be properly supporting linux.
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yankton wrote:
I agree. I won't touch vista, and I keep an XP machine around (actually on a seperate partition of one my gentoo boxes) to play games, which hopefully will be a non issue as more of them become accessible through wine and hopefully in the future will just be available on linux now that video card manufacturers (ATI at least) will be properly supporting linux.

What I've been following is ReactOS. They are working on a WinNT/2K/XP clone in open source.
It's not "ready for prime-time", but they have been making progress.

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen mention of it before but I haven't played with it yet. If you like this sort of thing you might also be interested in http://www.haiku-os.org/
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
Strabo wrote:

Yes, this can easily become an obsession.

I have more money tied up in my farm than in my vehicle. #ni-1

Yes, but we all know how much you have tied up in your car. Wink

Razz #ni-1 Shocked Very Happy #ni-1
jbyram2
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppy Linux boots off of a flash drive or CD, and runs completely in RAM once loaded. Small and light.

The brain I'm wearing makes me eat chocolate and cry!!
Something Completely different
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for that React-OS, have you run boinc on it yet, and if so does it work? There's a few projects not yet supporting linux, I think I'd rather put a react-os client together than run a windows client. Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: