KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cooling question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:02 am    Post subject: cooling question Reply with quote

For those of you quads. I have a dell 530 on the way with the q6600 (got the computer for $430). Has anyone else used one of these for shrubbing? I know that cpu runs a bit hot, I'm wondering if stock cooling is adequate if it shrubs 24/7 or if i should be eyeballing some aftermarket cooling, and if anyone else has done this, what cooling system would they recommend for this?

Confused
sangamon
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intel stock coolers are pretty good these days. Only if you're going to overclock and/or are worried about noise i would look too aftermarket coolers.

if you go aftermarket, the Scythe Mine Rev.B is a good choice. however check the size and room you have available first, because since it's a dell it might be a hassle to replace the cooler
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not worried about the noise and I have no plans to overclock it. Dell usually locks overclocking out of their bios (which you can still get around). Got a good deal on it so I was just planning on putting it on a shelf and letting it shrub all day long. I'll leave it and see how it goes while stock then.

Much appreciated!

#ni-1
Sir Furry Mark
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Dell Q6600 (XPS420) running at stock speed (2.4GHz) and it is really, really quiet. Additional cooling is only needed if you are taking them above 3GHz. I have a colleague who has one at 3.4GHz on air and another at 3.8GHz with water cooling.

#ni-1
Yankton
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to poke at the bios when it shows up. Dell usually disables the normal ways to overclock a cpu. Not overly concerned about this one though. Would like to get one more like it to replace the amd box I have and then one final one which I will hand build with an external cooling tower and all the fun toys. I'll have to poke around in another couple of months and see if I can find another similar tower in that price range. No bells and whistles, but it doesn't need them for this.
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dell case designs are pretty good for cooling (fans push air through a duct directly over the CPU cooler before the air cools the rest of the case. I think you will also find that an aftermarket cooler cannot be used without fab work (non-standard cooler mounting). As a PS, the Dell cases are also "bass-ackwards", ie- they open from the right side instead of the left side like a standard case (means that a standard MB can't be used in a Dell case).

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: