KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stonehenge, solved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:41 am    Post subject: Stonehenge, solved Reply with quote

LONDON, England (AP) -- Two British archeologists declared Monday that they have uncovered the core reason behind the construction of one of the world's best known and least understood landmarks.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/09/22/uk.stonehenge.healing.ap/index.html

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

KWSN Im Not Dead
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Man: "Doctor im very ill, can you help me?"
Doctor at Stone Henge: "Umm sure, here shampoo with these blue rock flakes. Umm, drink this powered blue rock drink. And umm, sit on one of the blue rocks for the next week."
Old Man: "Will that cure me?"
Doctor at Stone Henge: "No, not really, I just find it amusing watching blue haired, blue tongued idiots sitting around on blue rocks hoping for something to happen."

KWSNImNotDead - "I don't want to go on the cart!". It is spelled LooNies.
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least they can get ... ... ... stoned. Wink
Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN Im Not Dead wrote:
Old Man: "Doctor im very ill, can you help me?"
Doctor at Stone Henge: "Umm sure, here shampoo with these blue rock flakes. Umm, drink this powered blue rock drink. And umm, sit on one of the blue rocks for the next week."
Old Man: "Will that cure me?"
Doctor at Stone Henge: "No, not really, I just find it amusing watching blue haired, blue tongued idiots sitting around on blue rocks hoping for something to happen."

Well it beats a course of leeches I suppose.

Ni!
Fang

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing in all of this, if one really were to come to think of it; I could think of a way we ourselves (well perhaps not at present), could baffle future archaeologists....

If one were to bring up the question of one of the best forms of record storage for purposes of posterity; a method which would escape us at present (well in a more advanced form), and yet has been around would be use of rocks, or crystals. Why do I say this? Because books, paper, etc eventually bio-degrade. Paper can be treated, which can allow it to last for 1,000s of years (depending on condition of the immediate environment); but truly long lasting information storage ironically would be rocks themself #ni-1 Unlike paper which will eventually return to the elements; rocks take substantially longer to form (ala known geologic processes), and take substantially longer to errode also.

Now mucking around with them like a bunch of stone age men would be the easier way (though highly impractical, unless one wanted to etch something to posterity for some matter of significance); but if we could store stuff at a molecular, or sub-atomic lvl in the lattice of a crystal itself (well at least sci-fi is now toying with the idea of using crystals for information storage); those things would persist for more then a few centuries (ala the durability of rock itself).

But the baffling thing for any generation that found them many millenia down the road would be that unless the technology persisted and they knew exactly how the information was encoded; it would appear to be an ordinary rock with no discernable use. It would only be when the thing was studied at a molecular, sub-atomic, whatever lvl the thing was encoded at; that a pattern could perhaps be worked out to suggest "hmm, something here isn't naturally occuring, something has been done to this rock". And from there a, would they think "information storage, we need to try to get at this, to gain a sense of life among these people".

So what would this have to do with stonehenge? Not much; but it could be a means if we so cared, to really stump our long term decendents and perhaps get them to rip their hairs out, if an instruction manual didn't come with the things #ni-1
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Son Goku wrote:
Funny thing in all of this, if one really were to come to think of it; I could think of a way we ourselves (well perhaps not at present), could baffle future archaeologists....

If one were to bring up the question of one of the best forms of record storage for purposes of posterity; a method which would escape us at present (well in a more advanced form), and yet has been around would be use of rocks, or crystals. Why do I say this? Because books, paper, etc eventually bio-degrade. Paper can be treated, which can allow it to last for 1,000s of years (depending on condition of the immediate environment); but truly long lasting information storage ironically would be rocks themself #ni-1 Unlike paper which will eventually return to the elements; rocks take substantially longer to form (ala known geologic processes), and take substantially longer to errode also.

Now mucking around with them like a bunch of stone age men would be the easier way (though highly impractical, unless one wanted to etch something to posterity for some matter of significance); but if we could store stuff at a molecular, or sub-atomic lvl in the lattice of a crystal itself (well at least sci-fi is now toying with the idea of using crystals for information storage); those things would persist for more then a few centuries (ala the durability of rock itself).

But the baffling thing for any generation that found them many millenia down the road would be that unless the technology persisted and they knew exactly how the information was encoded; it would appear to be an ordinary rock with no discernable use. It would only be when the thing was studied at a molecular, sub-atomic, whatever lvl the thing was encoded at; that a pattern could perhaps be worked out to suggest "hmm, something here isn't naturally occuring, something has been done to this rock". And from there a, would they think "information storage, we need to try to get at this, to gain a sense of life among these people".

So what would this have to do with stonehenge? Not much; but it could be a means if we so cared, to really stump our long term decendents and perhaps get them to rip their hairs out, if an instruction manual didn't come with the things #ni-1

Sort of revenge on our kids, many generations removed of course. Twisted Evil

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: