KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Motherboard reccomendations please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Motherboard reccomendations please Reply with quote

What I have is a HP d4100y computer (found in dumpster) Laughing

It has a bad MB. (ASUS P5LP-LE)
1Gb ddr2 4200 533Mhz
NVidia 6600 video card 256DDR2 on board
SoundBlaster Audigy 2 ZS
Pentium D830 3.0 Ghz 800 Mhz FSB
Dual 160GB Hard Drives in Raid 0
Lightscribe DL DVD +/- R RW 16X
9 in 1 Memory card reader

I would like to get this thing up and running again and in the process upgradeable in the future to a quad CPU.
The current symptoms are:
1. Blank monitor
2. No lights to keyboard (num and cap locks)
3. No beeps (was told by geeks at best buy it isn't posting. Ram removed and still no beeps) They say MB is the prob. Sad
I've tried resetting CMOS according to ohiomikes reccomendations but all symptoms are the same Sad
Lights on tower are working, fans come on, dvd opens/closes/spins
I think this thing would make a good shrubber if I can get it going so any help and suggestions are appreciated. #ni-1

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a link to New Egg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010200280+1070630553&name=Quad-core+%2f+Core+2+Duo+%2f+Pentium+D+%2f+Celeron

35 MoBos that support both Pentium D and Quads
from $45 to $145 #ni-1
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Motherboard reccomendations please Reply with quote

imcrazynow wrote:

I think this thing would make a good frisbee if I can get it going so any help and suggestions are appreciated. #ni-1

Sorry..

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I bought a ASUS P5K Deluxe MB for the thing along with 4G of DDR2 1066 ( Corsair Dominator 2@2Gb.) The problem is the power button /HD led and reset connector is different. Not sure what I need to make this work Confused . It is now in a HP Pavillion 4100Y case. It still has the PentiumD 830 for now but able to upgrade to a quad later Razz Cool. It will be running XP Pro 64 Bit OS.
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Randy #ni-1

4870 GPU
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just rebuilt a comp for someone and had the same problem, I figured out which 2 leads were the power button ( I can't remember what color they were) and then bent the pins on the board (just a little) to make it plug in. They have no HD light but, so what? Your only other option is to make a bunch of new female plugs or use the solder iron. #ni-1
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, it's now up and running. I need to update the BIOS apparently. I get a message unrecognized processor. Update BIOS to unleash it's full power. It is running XP pro X64 though and happily crunching away on SETI. I'm wondering about the temps though. 62C on chip and 37C on MB. It's all stock cooling.
ASUS P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP edition
Pentium D830 @ 3Ghz 800 Mhz FSB
Corsair Dominator 8500C5DF DDR2 1066Mhz 4GB. 2 @ 2GB With the fans on top of them.
160 GB HD ( I only installed one drive instead of the 2 it originally had because I don't know how to set it up in RAID 0 like it was before.) I figured 160 GB was plenty though. It's mainly for crunching.
I plan to eventually upgrade to a quad core around years end.
If anybody here knows some good BIOS settings I can do to improve the system I would greatly appreciate it. Right now I've changed nothing. I just turned it on. #ni-1

4870 GPU

Last edited by KWSN imcrazynow on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over clocking is a tricky thing. I don't know Pentium D and I can't help much. Intel's are primarily FSB over clockers, however that being said there are multiple things that must be done to get a stable OC. Google "Overclocking Pentium D" and find a forum like Overclockers net ( I think ). People will post their settings and you can try them but each chip, board, memory, etc is an individual so to speak and you cant tell what your set up is capable of until you try the settings.

Good Luck #ni-1

Edit. 62c is too high. you will really have to invest in a good heat sink before you run up the FSB. You can permanently damage a chip by running it too hot. And remember that Boinc keeps your box at 100%.
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a new logitec G-15 keyboard and optical wheel mouse yesterday and I have a Zalman CNPS9500A CPU cooler to add this weekend when i'll have a little more time. I want to get it cooling better before I attempt for the fist time to OC. Currently the CPU temp is @ 65 C at 100% load and 36 C on the board.
Next items to purchase will be a better power suppply @ 600W and a quad around the end of the year. #ni-1

4870 GPU
Sir Furry Mark
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN imcrazynow wrote:
I added a new logitec G-15 keyboard and optical wheel mouse yesterday and I have a Zalman CNPS9500A CPU cooler to add this weekend when i'll have a little more time. I want to get it cooling better before I attempt for the fist time to OC. Currently the CPU temp is @ 65 C at 100% load and 36 C on the board.
Next items to purchase will be a better power suppply @ 600W and a quad around the end of the year. #ni-1
65C is pretty hot, even for a Pentium D processor - I would take a look at the case cooling as well as the processor cooler.
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Furry Mark wrote:
KWSN imcrazynow wrote:
65C is pretty hot, even for a Pentium D processor - I would take a look at the case cooling as well as the processor cooler.

That was without the side cover even on the case. When I left for work this morning I put a fan blowing into the open case. When I got home the temps are down to 57 C for the CPU and 30 C on the board. Still at 100% load running SETI. It's also got the stock cooler on it. It'll be this weekend before I can install the new Zalman CPU cooler. From what i've read it's more than likely going to involve removing the motherboard. Hopefully it will lower the temps a bit. There is also room for a slightly larger exaust fan in the back of the case if needed. I'm also using Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Any other ideas or reccomendations are welcome. #ni-1

4870 GPU
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN imcrazynow wrote:
OK, it's now up and running. I need to update the BIOS apparently. I get a message unrecognized processor. Update BIOS to unleash it's full power. It is running XP pro X64 though and happily crunching away on SETI. I'm wondering about the temps though. 62C on chip and 37C on MB. It's all stock cooling.
Corsair Dominator 8500C5DF DDR2 1066Mhz 4GB. 2 @ 2GB With the fans on top of them.
160 GB HD ( I only installed one drive instead of the 2 it originally had because I don't know how to set it up in RAID 0 like it was before.) I figured 160 GB was plenty though. It's mainly for crunching.
If anybody here knows some good BIOS settings I can do to improve the system I would greatly appreciate it. Right now I've changed nothing. I just turned it on. #ni-1

It was reccomended to me from someone on the ASUS forum that I downgrade the BIOS in order to possibly correct this issue. The current BIOS is version 0809 but the person (a moderator) at ASUS says the one for my CPU started at 0311. I would interpret that as it has been supported since 0311 and should still be supported by 0809. Do any of you more savy computer people have any ideas?

4870 GPU
Sir Furry Mark
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN imcrazynow wrote:
...I'm also using Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. Any other ideas or reccomendations are welcome. #ni-1
Make sure you don't use too much paste - I did the first time I used it and ended up having to clean it off and try again. It will take several days to get maximum effect - worth doing a few thermal cycles to help it along (i.e. turn system off, let it cool off then turn on and torture CPU again). After about a week you should see around 5 to 8 degC improvement from when you first start. Note that the Intel stock HSF does a pretty good job to start with (unless you have one of the early ones), so you might not get the improvement you expect (having said that, your current temperatures are pretty high, so maybe the stock cooler isn't that well connected... ). Above all, have fun!
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to Acrctic Siver's web site and searched for instructions for my particular CPU It showed my CPU with an overlay in red as to how wide and how long the line and where the line was to be be placed. I tried to match that. I will be going through the same steps again with the new cooler. I did not however go through the cycles as you mentioned. I fired it up and have been going ever since at 100%. I'll do the cycles next time. What do you think? Run at 100% for 3 hours and shut down for 2 with the fan blowing inside the case 3 or 4 times ? I'm not sure how old the system was when I found it in the dumpster with a dead MB.
BTW, I've also replaced the graphics card with a PNY NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT.

4870 GPU
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN imcrazynow wrote:
KWSN imcrazynow wrote:

It was reccomended to me from someone on the ASUS forum that I downgrade the BIOS in order to possibly correct this issue. The current BIOS is version 0809 but the person (a moderator) at ASUS says the one for my CPU started at 0311. I would interpret that as it has been supported since 0311 and should still be supported by 0809. Do any of you more savy computer people have any ideas?

bump
#ni-1

4870 GPU
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

65c is still to hot with an aftermarket cooler and the case side off.
check to see if you have it over volted. It should not run that hot period. I think (but I am not sure) that pentium D's will underclock themselves if run too long, too hot. It is also possible that you have a bad chip.

Download Cpu-Z, it's free
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 65C was the stock cooler. New cooler has been installed now. Temp runs 59-60 C with cover off and 63C with it on. Hasn't gone all the way through the break in process yet. Much better I would think. CPU isn't overclocked or anything. The bump was regarding 'It was reccomended to me from someone on the ASUS forum that I downgrade the BIOS in order to possibly correct this issue. The current BIOS is version 0809 but the person (a moderator) at ASUS says the one for my CPU started at 0311. I would interpret that as it has been supported since 0311 and should still be supported by 0809. Do any of you more savy computer people have any ideas?'
I keep getting a message at startup that it has an "unknown processor. Upgrade BIOS in order to unleash it's full power"
I press F1 and it continues on to load OS normally and it seems to be running fine. Just annoying to have to hit F1 evertime I start up.

4870 GPU
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: