KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What a Shrubery time I am having

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhiltheNelson
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: What a Shrubery time I am having Reply with quote

Ni,

I am having a problem with my stats/ I have not been active for some time, I used to run Seti before Boinc came along thenstatrted to get involved until health matters put the brakes on. Since reestablising contact I have taken on extra projects but a few problems are starting to raise their heads.

First- the project that I really want to get to grips with is the LHC. Does anyone know when tat will be up and running??? Every time I visit the site it is down. I want to set up ready for when things start.

Second my stats on the Boinc page on my Mac, does not tally with the stats shown on the web sites for the individual projects. e.g. Einstein@Home.

Can any one of you fabulous Tin clad warriors be of assistance.

May your Shrubbery Flourish,

Sir Plip of the Plop.

PS David Bowie rules.... (Moi Sad? Never)
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know anything about LHC, ( I am not sure that anyone does) but, as far as your stats go make sure you have at least one machine running all of your projects so that your cross project id number is correct.

#ni-1

also make sure that all of your screen names are Exactly the same.
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LHC was sending work, even though their site is down. That work is very sporadic.

Sir Papa Smurph eluded to putting all projects on one machine. Although this is the easiest, it is not the necessary way. My recommendation is have a common project on all machines, so the CPIDs can sync up. As long as there is some commonality amongst your projects they will eventually sync.

Example 5 (A-E) machines and 5 projects (1-5).
A runs 1,2
B runs 2,3,5
C runs 3,4
D runs 1,5
E runs 5

This will allow all to sync, as you have a commonality between all the machines. It may take a few days, the other idea will do it quicker.

Welcome back to crunching, and enjoy the ride. Remember if you do any Beta projects, please stay active on their boards as they need feedback and sometimes need you to follow some changes going on.

Good luck!

PhiltheNelson
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Makes sense Reply with quote

That actually makes sense to me and I will sorted. At the mo I have one Laptop PC that is getting oldrunning only Seti. I have my Mac Mini in the sitting room running 6 projects. The other two machines in the back room will both be sorted for the same projects when I get the chance to set up.

Ta for the info,

Sir Plppster.
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I have decided is to take one project and consider it the only place to make most changes. If you want to change any of the global preferences only choose that one to make the change and allow it to migrate to the rest. It keeps the projects from confusing themselves.

Sir Furry Mark
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
<snip>...make sure you have at least one machine running all of your projects so that your cross project id number is correct...<snip>
I guess this is where KillerRabbit got the idea that you should have only one machine and that it should be running all projects... Rolling Eyes

Ni!
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you should do is have one machine with an account on every project that you do work for. It doesn't need to be actively doing work, it just needs to exist. Then, if for whatever reason, CPID gets mixed up, just fire up the offending project(s) on the primary machine (I think you don't even need to do work, so setting it to not download work but be an active project might be enough) and it will synch them up again.

It's only a problem you should ever have when you start a project for the first time on a system that hasn't already synched to your CPIDs. That's why I start every project on my primary system first, which gets the CPID synch'd right away with that project account, and then add the machine that will actually be doing that project long term.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only have one machine so I make up for it with running every project, just not at all the same time.

Ni
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Machines machines and yet more machines. Reply with quote

I am on the long term sick at the mo and when I can manage it I play with my puters (Yes Plural) But there is a reason for this.
When we moved (Couldn't manage the stairs any more so bought a Bungalow and made some money of the sale) I had an old laptop (Windows XP) and I mean old. However I wanted a machine for the sitting room to get rid of all the extra boxes connected to the TV. I bought a Mac Mini at what I thought was a very good price. Connected to the big TV it does the Surround sound bit and plays all my music and DVD's. I also got given a Gyration Wireless keyboard and Gyroscopic mouse. A Tech heads delight. Much easier for a cripple such as MOI to use. I am now wondering why I ever gave MONEY to Mr Gates.... Bit silly really. Made lots of space for the more important boxes to be connected, like my Wii and XBox.

However, in a past life I used to build PC's and things for peeps and have passed the skill onto my son. A Friend of his had a NON Working PC. Actually nothing wrong except over clocked and under cooled. I now have a top of the range PC with a bought, flat screen monitor in an old case. Had to buy a decent DVD drive for about £25, but what the hell. Everything else is second hand. (Even the 4G of memory. A good PC for about £130 all in.

But then I got offered an iMac for less then half price. Brand new (well 3 months old) from a local Playhouse that is closing for a full Refit that could last 3 years. I got contacts I got offered.

I have a desk in the small bedroom with a decent PC and an iMac. The best of both worlds. I also have a networked 3 in 1 HP Printer. If I could only get the the laptop replaced....

My 50th is coming up and a little birdy has told me about a MacBook Pro looking for an owner. I can feel the drool now....

Question. Am I being a very greedy person, maybe just crashing through the Mid life crisis barrier?

BTW I am not a total bastard. Over the past 4 years or so I have given away (Well my son and I) about 8 Windows machines that have been replaced by their owners, when all that was required was a quick tidy up and cleaning out of the crap that the Internet threw at these machines. We are the ones called in to help when things go wrong, or the 'new fangled wireless internet' isn't working. We have never asked for any payments when we have done this. Hey! Maybe in future I should preload BOINC onto these machines, as well as Firefox and the others that don't owe anything to Mr. Gates and Co.

Any way, I am orf to take my Hormone supplements and Vital Amine tablets.

Have a Shrubbery time,

Sir Philop of Newcastle on the Tyne (It's all mine...)
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that you owe Mr. Gates for the very existence of those Macs. Without the purchase of those non-voting options (to avoid a conflict in interest) to give Apple some much needed income at the time, there would be only Microsoft today.

I expect Intel is going to have to do something similar for AMD soon, at the rate things are going.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
Don't forget that you owe Mr. Gates for the very existence of those Macs. Without the purchase of those non-voting options (to avoid a conflict in interest) to give Apple some much needed income at the time, there would be only Microsoft today.

Kind of like how Coke had the opportunity to completly crush Pepsi a long time ago (Pepsi was floundering heavily at some point before 1950 and Coke had the opportunity to purchase them and close them down - they chose not to).

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

PhiltheNelson
Squire
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Mr Gates Reply with quote

I follow the arguement, I just find it really upsetting to see the man wih the power (William) doing the sillies, like........... VISTA!!!

What the hell is that all about. Looks almost as good as my Mac, but takes a genuine maniac to say anything good about the fact that you need something so top end to make i work reasonably well. It is a pain t load in and set up. Newbies are throwing their hands up in droves.

My son is making money off it as it is so difficult to make work that peeps are asking the techie to help out.

My next door neighbour traded the Vista nightmare he had for an iMac. About the same price as it happened.. The difference was I took a half day to help him set the PC up and was called back on a regular basis.. However he did the mac himself ans was very glad to brg about how simple it all was.. I have 2 PC running windows. Reasonable bits of kit, but thank Dog no Vista.. I also have 2 Mac machines running Tiger. I know which ones I will be using the most in future and also which ones I will be upgrading.

The Holy Handgrenade should be used at any place that produces any more 'Vista' nightmares.

So there,

Na na nee na na!

Oh! and Ni of course.

Plipploppy the Pain ful one...
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What a Shrubery time I am having Reply with quote

PhiltheNelson wrote:
Ni,

I am having a problem with my stats/ I have not been active for some time, I used to run Seti before Boinc came along thenstatrted to get involved until health matters put the brakes on. Since reestablising contact I have taken on extra projects but a few problems are starting to raise their heads.

First- the project that I really want to get to grips with is the LHC. Does anyone know when tat will be up and running??? Every time I visit the site it is down. I want to set up ready for when things start.

Second my stats on the Boinc page on my Mac, does not tally with the stats shown on the web sites for the individual projects. e.g. Einstein@Home.

Can any one of you fabulous Tin clad warriors be of assistance.

May your Shrubbery Flourish,

Sir Plip of the Plop.

PS David Bowie rules.... (Moi Sad? Never)

Ni and Hi Sir P of P !!

Late to the party again Rolling Eyes Sorry

LHC (Large Hadron Collllidoor) .
Also part of it is known as the MUON Project (not BOINC) , but doos (Plops?) much the same research for CERN .
Your task today is to find the project (Hint http://www.stephenbrooks.org/muon1/)

Good science and really only the older pc savanti(*) guys try and run it , but good never-the-less for us over/under a BungaLow Very Happy (Again sorry , for the puns)

Indeed Sir D Bowie rules - used to live some streets away from myself in Bromley , UK , many (MANY) years ago .

Regs Grizz.

PS Check out KWSN stats in DC Vault or Free DC Stats for the MUON (LHC) progress
links : http://www.dc-vault.com/showscores.php
And
http://stats.free-dc.org/new/teamstats.php?proj=dpad&team=The+Knights+Who+Say+Ni%21

PPS Not a pimp for real science (Honest Very Happy ) , but Sir Higgs told me to tell you

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Vista, it depends on your goal. After the initial (and very long) driver debacle, it's now a regular bastion of supported-devices-happiness compared to it's predecessors. I happen to deal with them all day long, as I'm currently employed by the Windows Core group as a lab support engineer lol. It took me awhile to warm up to it, but these days I approach the unholy 2k3 and XP systems I have to support with much wariness. The Vista and LHS (2k8) system is much better for a corporate/datacenter environment.

As for buying a Mac. Ha. Haha. HahaHAha... HAHAHAHA.

Son Goku
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
JerWA wrote:

Kind of like how Coke had the opportunity to completly crush Pepsi a long time ago (Pepsi was floundering heavily at some point before 1950 and Coke had the opportunity to purchase them and close them down - they chose not to).

Well there's always the possibility for anti-trust suits (oh wait, Microsoft already faced these), and the desire to keep the court costs down #ni-1

Someone mentioned Intel and AMD, which actually presents a somewhat unique situation of it's own. Given IBM in the beginnings of the PC market didn't want a single source of supply, in going with the 8088; they mandated as a requirement of Intel, that there be multiple sources of supply if their processor is to be used. In the early days it wasn't uncommon to find both Intel and AMD chips on the same motherboard and in the same computer. It was closer to the decade of the 1990s they turned compeitor.

The business saw more upset (though benefit to the consumer); when DEC's fab got acquired by Intel on the one hand, and AMD acquired much of Digital's design team which was involved with the Alpha on the other.... Things like the EV6 bus which went into the early Athlons came from there, though the implementation was a little different (not a 256-bit bus implementation such as on the Alpha EV6 for instance). The influx of some of DEC's engineers into the x86 proc makers companies brought other benefits also....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: