KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dual Core at 50%

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Dual Core at 50% Reply with quote

Ok, so here's the deal.

I am building a new computer and for some reason the cpu will only go to 50% on boinc. if one core is at 40% the other is at 60%. it is running like a teter-toter.

Yes I have checked the preferences in Boinc Manager they are at 2 cores ( actually I put them to 4 ) and it is at use 100% of cpu. ( I tried 200% but it would not take.)

I have also reinstalled Boinc.

The good news is that it is running about twice as fast for one unit, but it only runs one at a time.
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dual Core at 50% Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
Ok, so here's the deal.

I am building a new computer and for some reason the cpu will only go to 50% on boinc. if one core is at 40% the other is at 60%. it is running like a teter-toter.

Yes I have checked the preferences in Boinc Manager they are at 2 cores ( actually I put them to 4 ) and it is at use 100% of cpu. ( I tried 200% but it would not take.)

I have also reinstalled Boinc.

The good news is that it is running about twice as fast for one unit, but it only runs one at a time.

That is "normal" Windoze behavior, it only shows a total of 100% for ALL CPUs- my Quad shows 25% / Boinc task. If you open the Task Manager (right click down in the task bar) and then select Performance, You should see 2 CPU Usage History charts (if not, select "View", "CPU History", "One Graph Per CPU"). If you see 2 charts, you have 2 CPU's being used. If you don't see 2 CPUs there, then we have a problem...

PS- Sorry about the blank post at first- I did a "clickey-clickey".

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"

Last edited by ohiomike on Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well. I have one unit running at 50 % and another 50% going to System Idle Process. I know that this is Wrong. I should be able to do 2 Wu's at a time, Right?

Perhaps I need to run 2 instances of Boinc and set the affinity on each to a different core.

Is this correct and if so, is it just a start menu thing or do I need to reinstall another copy of the manager?
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I fixed it.

In Boinc manager I went to advanced, preferences and there I found a page I have never seen before that was set to only use 1 processor. I changed it to 2 and then "snoozed" the manager and restarted it. Bingo 100% on each core.

Ta-Da #ni-1
John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Change your prefs in one of the projects Reply with quote

Instead of changin it in the BOINC manager, just go to one of your projects and change the prefs there. That way you can change the prefs (cache size, # of CPUs, etc.) for all of your projects. I set mine at 16 CPUs just in case I get a dual 8-core when they come out in about 5 years....

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
ohiomike
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Change your prefs in one of the projects Reply with quote

John Galt 007 wrote:
Instead of changin it in the BOINC manager, just go to one of your projects and change the prefs there. That way you can change the prefs (cache size, # of CPUs, etc.) for all of your projects. I set mine at 16 CPUs just in case I get a dual 8-core when they come out in about 5 years....

5 Years? How about this week!
Tyan 16-core 'personal' supercomputer
or
Sun’s full-blown 4-socket 16-core Intel Xeon MP 7300 Series Server
or
Sun 16-core Barcelona Server"

Very Happy

Resident Linux fan and credit ho >My Shrubbers<
Proud member of the "Fry a CPU for breakfast club"
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Change your prefs in one of the projects Reply with quote

John Galt 007 wrote:

I tried that in Boincstats BAM. But for some reason it did not change it on any machines. As long as it works now, Fine

You should check to see if it took on your Boinc manager. Go to "Advanced / Preferences " and make sure it is at 16. #ni-1
John Galt 007
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just set it at 16 in the project that you do the most. Next time you update, It will automatically change on your machine. If you really want to be specific, go to each project and change it to match what you want.

http://stephenbrooks.org/muon1/banner.php?user=[KWSN]John%20Galt%20007
http://stats.free-dc.org/mosttag.php?cpid=f7e8c5dfbccfce7e6054e7a84c151aa4&theme=4.png

( • )Y( • )
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Change your prefs in one of the projects Reply with quote

John Galt 007 wrote:

ROFL Laughing
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Change your prefs in one of the projects Reply with quote

John Galt 007 wrote:
My last three new home systems have been dual-core, quad-core and dual quad-core respectively Razz ... and that is just within one year. You can get Intel "Caneland" 4 socket motherboards that support the quad-core Xeons, so 16 core systems are already a reality - if a little pricey... Rolling Eyes

#ni-1
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both AMD and Intel have quad quad setups on server boards. In fact I wouldn't at all be surprised if Intel has >16 cores on a single motherboard right now working just fine. I'd say I know it for a fact, but then I'd be violating some sort of NDA and the goon squad would come do bad things to me. Wink If you're curious, Google for Dunnington. Wink

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
Both AMD and Intel have quad quad setups on server boards. In fact I wouldn't at all be surprised if Intel has >16 cores on a single motherboard right now working just fine. I'd say I know it for a fact, but then I'd be violating some sort of NDA and the goon squad would come do bad things to me. Wink If you're curious, Google for Dunnington. Wink

LOL
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a 32-core, 256-thread box?

#ni-1

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you want it for. Those procs are pretty specialized, and the thread count is the same as hyper threading, they're only beneficial if you're not at peak usage already. Having 256 threads sitting in a wait state is no more beneficial than having 32 sitting in a wait state. <shrug> That's why they excel at light load many operation stuff like transaction processing. Each thread is doing relatively little grunt work, there are just a bajillion little requests all the time, so lots of threads gets it done in a hurry because the over all demand for processing isn't that great in terms of brute power.

The UniSys stuff is in the same market, but on the heavy server side, and we've got several of those here but most are only between 32 and 64 cores. I hear one of them is going to be upgraded soon to 128 cores, should be interesting. Oh, and half a terrabyte of RAM of course. If only I could sneak a BOINC client onto one of those beasts.

The >16 core on a motherboard comment above was not meant for the big server market. It's not even a next-gen die.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Al Dente
Prince
Prince

Location: Leodis, the jewel at the end of the yellow brick road (or M1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, informed reply.

Although I did rather have my tongue in my cheek when I posted it Laughing

#ni-1

. . My Milestones . . My Full BOINC list
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you keep your tongue out of the processor, everything should be OK.

As for me, I'm already sick of my current home computer as it's now the weakest one I interact with all day. <sigh> My plans for a December upgrade fell apart of course, and it's looking like I'm going to end up having to put it off almost until THIS December at the rate things are going. But, on the plus side, I'm driving a new car, my g/fs car took a serious step up, I'm actually paying all of my bills, one of which will be cleared in August and free up about $1,000 a month.

So... some time around August, I'll probably be finally upgrading this system to something quad core. Until then I'll just have to be content with the T7500 and Q6600 I borg'd at work.

#ni-1

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:

Don't bother, it's obsolete already.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: