KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CONTROL AS IT SHOULD BE.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rotciv KOTHRT
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: CONTROL AS IT SHOULD BE. Reply with quote

NOW THIS IS A STORY WORTH TELLING. THIS STORY EXEMPLIFIES GUN CONTROL AS IT SHOULD BE.

Shooting in Butte, Montana

Shotgun preteen vs. illegal alien Home Invaders Butte, Montana, November 5, 2006.

Two illegal aliens, Ralphel Resindez, 23, and Enrico Garza, 26, probably believed they would easily overpower home-alone 11 year old Patricia Harrington after her father had left their two-story home.

It seems the two crooks never learned two things: they were in Montana and Patricia had been a clay shooting champion since she was nine.

Patricia was in her upstairs room when the two men broke through the front door of the house. She quickly ran to her father's room and grabbed his 12 gauge Mossberg 500 shotgun.

Resindez was the first to get up to the second floor only to be the first to catch a near point blank blast of buckshot from the 11-year-old's knee crouch aim. He suffered fatal wounds to his abdomen and genitals.

When Garza ran to the foot of the stairs, he took a blast to the left shoulder and staggered out into the street where he bled to death before medical help could arrive.

It was found out later that Resindez was armed with a stolen 45 caliber handgun he took from another home invasion robbery. That victim, 50-year-old David Burien, was not so lucky. He died from stab wounds to the chest.

Ever wonder why good stuff never makes NBC, CBS, PBS, MSNBC, CNN, or ABC news....

Now that is Gun Control

Thought for the day:

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist" .

Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is considered "a good thing" differs from person to person I suppose.
I know you Americans like your guns Wink

In Sweden, little Patricia would now be living in a foster home, and the father would, if not be in jail, at least owe a hefty sum to the victims families.

Rolling Eyes
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If guns are illegal in Sweeden, I do believe little Patrica would be DEAD! I am sure the father's shotgun is legally owned.

That is what is going wrong with this world. 2 people break in with the intention to do some really bad things and yet someone would consider them victims (not meaning you Mildew, I meant someone in the general sense).

She was defending her life and the family's property. 'Nuff said. I think the estates (if any) of the bad guys should have to reimburse Patrica's family for the ammo used.

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
If guns are illegal in Sweeden, I do believe little Patrica would be DEAD! I am sure the father's shotgun is legally owned.

That is what is going wrong with this world. 2 people break in with the intention to do some really bad things and yet someone would consider them victims (not meaning you Mildew, I meant someone in the general sense).

She was defending her life and the family's property. 'Nuff said. I think the estates (if any) of the bad guys should have to reimburse Patrica's family for the ammo used.

aren't we missing the point (root cause analysis) here.

If the father hadn't neglected the child by leaving her alone in the first place, then she wouldn't have been explosed to the threat on her own.....

we're all assuming that the two burglar's knew that patricia was actually in the building. if they were watching the building and saw the father leave, the could have assumed the place was empty...

I'm not making any statement about the right for self defence or gun control.

so now we have an 11 year old girl living with the trauma of killing two people for the rest of her life, due to the actions of a neglecting parent dad who's now "proud" of his little girl, and seen by some a s a hero, beacause he brought her up to fire a gun. Confused Confused Confused

lovely state of affairs.

ni!

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, there was a time in this country when you could send your kid to the store to buy you a pack of smokes or a 6 pack. Now that would be considered child abuse. We have kids with no sense of independence or belief of their own competence. When I grew up the only people who wore helmets when they rode a bicycle were autistic. I understand that there is a level of risk associated with bike riding, However I never knew anyone who was seriously injured in a bicycle accident. ( unless they got hit by a car ).

It is interesting that the top 5 things parents worry about are not even close to the top 5 actual causes of death and injury to their children.

I doubt very much that Patricia will suffer very much over the fact that she has now proven that she has the ability to react in a stressful situation. She will never be one of the sheep.

Good for you Patricia...
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
mohrorless wrote:

If the father hadn't neglected the child by leaving her alone in the first place, then she wouldn't have been explosed to the threat on her own.....

we're all assuming that the two burglar's knew that patricia was actually in the building. if they were watching the building and saw the father leave, the could have assumed the place was empty...

so now we have an 11 year old girl living with the trauma of killing two people for the rest of her life, due to the actions of a neglecting parent dad who's now "proud" of his little girl, and seen by some a s a hero, beacause he brought her up to fire a gun. Confused Confused Confused

lovely state of affairs.

ni!

Let's make this an all out argument (if anyone is looney enough to do so) and take 11 year old Patrica out of the picture and insert any adult that legally owns a gun.

These guys already have shown that they had no problems killing. They had already killed the legal owner of the gun and were probably made a threatening move on the girl. They got exactly what they deserved. And no less.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Old woman(mann, sorry)
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In England if the raiders had survived they could have successfully sued for compensation.
In any case the girl would have been "taken into care" and the father would have been prosecuted for something (a group of people would have kept trying until they found something, anything to get him on, "to send a signal"?).
The fact that they had killed already would have been ignored.
We are not allowed to protect our homes, if someone breaks in we owe that person a duty of care. FACT.
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old woman(mann, sorry) wrote:
We are not allowed to protect our homes, if someone breaks in we owe that person a duty of care. FACT.

Wow, I'm sorry about that. Shakespeare had it right...."Kill all the lawyers". It's either them or the liberals that are setting it up so no one has to take responsibility for their actions anymore. It's a shame.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

KWSN_hgs
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had an officer of the law explain to our neighborhood watch (folk watch out for and report unusual behavior -- take care of each other, that kind of thing) that the reason that most break-ins happen during the day is, and I quote: "because of your second amendment rights" which are of course the rights about guns in private hands and all that. Too much chance of running into little Patricia's daddy if you wait until it's dark to do your burglary -- bad luck for these guys that learning to use guns is considered 100% normal in Montana. In fact it's a pretty reliable clue that you aren't a native if you don't know how to shoot, and how to reload your own shells.

Dontknow -- hate to see people get killed for walking in uninvited. Maybe these guys were lost? But on the other hand I wouldn't have wanted Patricia to wait and find out what their intentions were either. Kinda late for her if the uninvited are up to no good.

Note to self: people from Montana might shoot you to death if you break into their house. Pick another house?
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
mohrorless wrote:

lovely state of affairs.

ni!

Let's make this an all out argument (if anyone is looney enough to do so) and take 11 year old Patrica out of the picture and insert any adult that legally owns a gun.

These guys already have shown that they had no problems killing. They had already killed the legal owner of the gun and were probably made a threatening move on the girl. They got exactly what they deserved. And no less.

Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
When I grew up the only people who wore helmets when they rode a bicycle were autistic. I understand that there is a level of risk associated with bike riding, However I never knew anyone who was seriously injured in a bicycle accident. ( unless they got hit by a car ).

my Best friends nephew died of head injuries, caused by being hit by a bus when he was on his bike, The doctors all said if he'd have been wearing a helmet at the time he'd have survivied...

enough said in my book

Sir Papa Smurph wrote:

I doubt very much that Patricia will suffer very much over the fact that she has now proven that she has the ability to react in a stressful situation. She will never be one of the sheep.

Good for you Patricia...

I don't know about you but I'd rather any child of mine, NOT to have to go through that experience in their lifetimes, taht also goes for them being assaulted by gun toting theives as well!!!

If you read my post again I WASN'T criticising Patricia for her actions, or her father for having a gun in the house or the fact that she knew how to use it, or trying to defend the theives in ANY way.

Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Brian, I was not criticizing your opinion, I was simply stating that the young lady has shown that she is capable of observing and reacting in a way that we in "Civilized Society" are taught not to use. We have authority figures to protect us and as pointed out in many places we would be prosecuted for protecting ourselves and or our property from people who make their living by victimizing others. In this country ( U.S. ) before 9/11 the proper response to a threat was to "Cooperate and you won't get hurt". After 1 plane load of people took matters into their own hands that was rethought. Many liberals would like to take away all guns and leave them in the hand of law enforcement only. This is not only impractical but would leave the general public not only potential victims of criminals but possibly ( I would argue probably ) abuse from government as well. I am a "liberal" but I believe that greater liberty of concealed weapons would give greater security to the law abiding public in general. The many school shootings are a case in point. At one the principal had a weapon in his car and at the start of the incident he ran to his car and retrieved his weapon and stopped the incident without firing a shot. I could continue but I recognize that there are valid arguements on both sides of the issue, I simply favor one side.
babychunder
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the UK if you or your property is threatened then you are entitled to use "reasonable force" to defend yourself. What's reasonable force mean? A level of force appropriate to the threat. So it would be OK to use a shotgun to defend yourself against an armed intruder, but probably not against a knife-wielding scumbag. In the latter circumstance you could be sued by the intruder and /or prosecuted for a number of different offences, as has happened in a couple of celebrated cases here.

Britain has pretty much the toughest set of firearms controls in the world. To (legally) own a gun you have to be licensed and go through a set of police checks. The police must be persuaded you are not a threat to public safety, they get to check your medical history (to see if you are wacko) and your criminal record. You have to explain why you want the gun, where you plan to shoot, and put up two people of good character to support your application.

You can only use weapons for pest control, field sports, or target shooting. Hand guns are no longer legal, but you can have a target pistol.

There are age restrictions on owning and using a shotgun which would exclude any 11 year olds from even firing a gun. Weapons kept at home have to be in a secure locked cabinet, with the ammo stored elsewhere.

So, I doubt this sort of incident could take place in the UK. We gun-owners and field sports people have been seriously inconvenienced by all the changes to the law since the various school massacres, but in my view it is worth it if it prevents the death of another child. (Of course there are still lots of illegal weapons floating around with criminals etc, they are not going to bother with licensing and the law).

I know that the US Constitution gives its citizens the right to bear arms, but with that right comes a duty to use them responsibly. Dare I suggest the US may have something to learn from the experiences of other countries?

PS - As far as I am concerned, if someone is an armed criminal, and they get shot by their victim, then it's an occupational hazard - tough t1tty Wink
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also have the "reasonable force" defense here. If someone threatens to hit you, setting of a suitcase nuke is a definate no no, but if you are threatened with deadly force, they you may retalliate with deadly force.

There are gun control laws here as well. The only thing they seem to do is to keep the guns out of the hands of the law abiding citizens. Stolen guns, guns obtained illegally, guns brought in over the border (that is a BIG problem) are the guns that are used in crimes the majority of the time.

Here in NYC a couple of years ago the mayor started trying to sue the gum manufacturers over the illegal hand guns in NYC. His claim that the manufacturers were flooding the states without the extreme gun control laws that NYC has was causing the bad guys to go there and buy guns and bring them to NYC illegally. I hope he loses. His problem is really with the other cities and states. They don't have the same laws, so it is easier to get guns there (there is still a wating period and background checks so the bad guys don't get the guns, sometimes the checks fail - I would say not too often). It would be like soeone blaming General Motos for how some drove a car, of the PGGB mannufacturer for what someone did with the product.

Then again he is an eliteist bastard that is trying to turn Manhatten (one of the boroughs of NYC) into a private playground for the rich at the cost of the rest of the city.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

babychunder
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Bloomberg. Much of what he's trying to claim credit for was actually Giuliani's work. The "Manhattan Project" is as you say for the ruling elite only. I was surprised he didn't run for President, suppose most NYC-ers were disappointed they won't be getting shot of him. Self-serving turd.
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:

Then again he is an eliteist bastard that is trying to turn Manhatten (one of the boroughs of NYC) into a private playground for the rich at the cost of the rest of the city.

You could have just said "Republican" and saved a lot of key strokes...
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babychunder wrote:
I agree about Bloomberg. Much of what he's trying to claim credit for was actually Giuliani's work. The "Manhattan Project" is as you say for the ruling elite only. I was surprised he didn't run for President, suppose most NYC-ers were disappointed they won't be getting shot of him. Self-serving turd.

Let me give you some back story.....

He was originally a Democrat (1 of the 2 main political parties here in America), before he ran for mayor he switched parties to be a Rebublican. He wins his first term as mayor, 4 years later he runs as a Republican again and wins again (he is only allowed to server 2 consecutive terms as mayor in NYC) a year after his second term starts he leaves the Republicans and becomes an Independant (not affiliated with any party). Now the rumors of him running for President have been swirling for the last year. He keeps saying he is NOT running. The rumors get stronger every day. Supposed insiders keep saying he is gearing up to run. He keeps denying it.

I hope he does not run. I personally do not like him. He is a lot different from how he portrayed himself to be when he first ran. He seemed like a nice guy that wanted the job to help the city. Now it is easier to see through his words. He took the job to set things up for himself how he wants them at the expense of "the little people".

With out getting into too much detail, I know someone that met him after a tradegy. They said he was completely insinscere in his manor and demeanor. His words were scripted (poorly) for him and he delivered them with all the sincerity of someone that does not care.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

babychunder
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there have been many disappointments in my life but one of them most definitely wasn't my first trip to NYC at the age of 17. I'd just left High School and took the trip with the money my old folks gave me.

The city seemed at once instantly familiar, and I felt right at home there. I later realised it was from all these TV shows filmed there that I'd grown up watching in the UK.

That was back in the mid-70s, when NYC was downright sleazy and dangerous. Down in the Village, hanging out at the music spots in Bleeker St, getting accosted by all these beautiful NYC girls who "just loved my accent", busking by day and jamming by night, what an absolute gas, I spent the whole summer there after flying into JFK with my guitar and just $80 I'd saved up.

Now NYC is pretty safe and doesn't have the same buzz to its nightlife. All these poor smokers hanging around on the street, jazz and blues indoors ain't the same if not viewed through a thick blue haze.
Old woman(mann, sorry)
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you allowed to hit a crim over the head with a suitcase nuke?
Sir Papa Smurph
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:

He took the job to set things up for himself how he wants them at the expense of "the little people".
His words were scripted (poorly) for him and he delivered them with all the sincerity of someone that does not care.

See my last post.
Quote:

You could have just said "Republican" and saved a lot of key strokes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Round Table All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: