KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting up F@H Clients

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barron_Greenback
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Setting up F@H Clients Reply with quote

Right, seen as I'm bored with just these 4 hotel walls to look at Sad Thought I'd chuck together a quick guide on setting up the various F@H clients in an attempt to gain a few more members!

I'll concentrate on the Console Clients as the GUI ones tend to hinder performance and generally annoy me.

In no particular order :-

- Windows XP/2000/Vista Console Client - Single Core CPUs

1. Create a Folder named fah in a suitable location on your HDD. I usually use c:\fah\

2. Go to the Stanford Homepage and check to see if your desired username is available. If you have folded in the past, continue to step 3.

3. Download the F@H Client from the Stanford Site into your new folder HERE

4. Navigate to your folding directory and right click on the FAH504-Console icon, then click Create short cut.

5. Re-name the shortcut to Config.

6. Right click on the newly created Config icon and select Properties.

7. In the Target box, add -configonly to the end of the line so it reads :- C:\fah\FAH504-Console.exe -configonly and Click OK.

8. Double Click the Config icon.

9. Enter your desired username and press enter.

10. Enter your team number, in our case 117

11. If you want the client to launch as a service, answer Y. I usually don't bother, and just launch it manually via the icon.

12. Stick with the Defaults for the next several questions by pressing enter. If you use a Proxy to connect to the Net, you will need to enter the relevant details when prompted.

13. All done! Just double click on the red FAH504-Console icon when your ready to start and the client will download the work unit and start crunching!

- Windows XP/2000/Vista SMP Client - Multi Cores/Multi CPU's

*** For the Windows SMP client, i reccommend only running one instance of the Client on Quad Core CPUs. I've had major issues trying to get two instances running ***

First off, in order for the SMP client to work, you'll need to download and install .NET framework v2 from HERE This is not required on Vista or if you already have a more up-to-date version installed.

You will also need to have a Password Protected Windows Login. Blank Passwords WILL NOT WORK.

1. Create a Folder named fah in a suitable location on your HDD. I usually use c:\fah\

2. Go to the Stanford Homepage and check to see if your desired username is available. If you have folded in the past, continue to step 3.

3. Download the F@H Client from the Stanford Site into your new folder HERE

4. Navigate to the downloaded client and launch the Installer. Select Custom install and edit the installation path to c:\fah\

5. Install the Client.

6. Navigate to your folding directory and right click on the FAH icon, then click Create short cut.

7. Re-name the shortcut to Config.

8. Right click on the newly created Config icon and select Properties.

9. In the Target box, add -configonly to the end of the line so it reads :- C:\fah\fah.exe -configonly and Click OK.

10. ***VERY IMPORTANT*** Before you do anything else, double click on the Install.bat icon. This will install mpi and smpd. Allow these throu your firewall. In the dos box enter the windows username and password that you will log in as while folding. (This is your WINDOWS Login).

11. All done! Just double click on the FAH icon when your ready to start and the client will download the work unit and start crunching!

GPU/Linux Coming Soon....

Please feel free to put me right on any of the above, or suggestions on better setups.

Thanks again to the usual suspects Wink

Rich's Folding Farm.. Sponsored by ScottishPower lol

Last edited by Barron_Greenback on Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Justin_Wells
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Setting up F@H Clients Reply with quote

Barron_Greenback wrote:
Right, seen as I'm bored with just these 4 hotel walls to look at

You are going stir crazy, but a very productive madness Laughing

In some sort of consolation I have spent the day making gift baskets Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN Humanitarian DC Teams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: