KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dead system
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit late, but you can buy a power supply tester on the cheap at most electronics stores. I actually recommend keeping one in your parts bin anyways, to test every PSU before hooking it up to anything. Only takes one bad PSU frying everything it's connected to for it to become habit.

Here's a rather good one for just $15:
http://www.frozencpu.com/psu-165.html?cid=prf

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lnkwizard2 wrote:
One way to test a the new ATX power supplies is to pull all power connectors to the Mobo and assorted drives and stuff and hook up a spare cooling fan or a sacraficial HD to one fo the molex connectors. If you use a fan, connect it to the 12v line. If you want to get real fancy you can hook up a bulb from a 3-cell flashlight to the 5v line. Then making sure the PS is plugged in, connect the green wire on the mobo connector to a ground wire and the fan should spin up and the light will turn on if the PS is working right. Since I support shrubbers for a living, I made a little test jig for just that purpose. Saves many headaches.

Cool. I like it.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
Bit late, but you can buy a power supply tester on the cheap at most electronics stores. I actually recommend keeping one in your parts bin anyways, to test every PSU before hooking it up to anything. Only takes one bad PSU frying everything it's connected to for it to become habit.

Here's a rather good one for just $15:
http://www.frozencpu.com/psu-165.html?cid=prf

Good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: