KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BOINC ON SECOND COMPUTER

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bellator
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: BOINC ON SECOND COMPUTER Reply with quote

I have bought a laptop to go along with my old PC and I was hoping to get some extra crunching power. But although I have installed BOINC on the laptop, and all projects are shown, it is impossible to get any task to run. What have I done wrong or omitted to do?

Nothing is more futile than the memory of a temptation resisted
ubi bene ibi patria
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any messages in the BOINC manager?

One setting to check is "Run while on batteries." I believe it defaults to off, and unless the laptop is plugged in (and maybe then if the power settings aren't working right) that would trigger false, and suspend BOINC.

Edit: Either way, you should be aware that BOINC is likely going to cause heat problems with the laptop. I don't know of any laptops that have sufficient cooling to run 100% load for very long. You should, as cheap insurance, make sure that your BIOS has thermal protection settings that are enabled and properly set, and get an external cooler.

A selection of which can be found here:
http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g40/c119/s231/list/p1/Air_Cooling-Laptop_Coolers-USB_Powered-Page1.html

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Bellator
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the warning. The only message is (for all projects) computer ID not assigned as yet. When I try to attach to a project I get (every time) project temporarily unavailable.

ubi bene ibi patria
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's bizzaro. From what I've read that message happens when you copy the install from another computer, and should sort itself out once it actually communicates with the project. The fact that none are working makes me think that you're unable to communicate with projects for some reason. Check the firewall junk, and make sure that port 31416 tcp is open and that boinc and boincmgr are allowed to connect to the Internet.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uninstall Symantech.

Install AVG.

Still not working?

Get rid of Vista.

Install XP.

Razz
Grizzly
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mildew wrote:
Uninstall Symantech.

Install AVG.

Still not working?

Get rid of Vista.

Install XP.

Razz

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy #Rofl

Ps Grizz in his second childhood - but not his last !

Edihtor of the KoKC (excused spel;l checher'er)

AND NI !!! Tophat 10e

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/grizzly_counter.php[/[url=http://www.katrinashome.com/] ][/url]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bellator
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interest in my woes. And do I ever agree with getting rid of Norton, Symantec, and especially Vista. Should have bought my computer a little earlier. Apart from the BOINC problems I also have all kinds of grief with wireless networks. And e-mail!! (I can send messages, but to receive takes approximately 92 hours; then I get a message "connection reset". I will keep you posted if I get anywhere (I do not mean the ground below my third story window)

ubi bene ibi patria
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

92 hours? Wow, that's like carrier pigeon speed. An email over 300 baud is flying (pardon the pun) by comparison.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: