KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NCSE Reactions to creation "museum"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: NCSE Reactions to creation "museum" Reply with quote

National Center for Science Education - Reactions to creation "museum"

http://www.ncseweb.org/resources/news/2007/KY/563_reactions_to_creation_museum_5_25_2007.asp
belenus
Prince
Prince

Location: Pale blue dot (Aviles, Asturies, Spain, Europe, Eurasia, North of Africa, South of Arctic....)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a little of an offense to say that "creationists" are lunatics.
As I consider myself a looney, and as far as I know looney comes from lunatic, I don't want to share that definition with this kind of living-in-the-fifteenth-century people.
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

belenus wrote:
As I consider myself a looney, and as far as I know looney comes from lunatic, I don't want to share that definition with this kind of living-in-the-fifteenth-century people.

ROFLMAO!!!

that said...

As science is based around observational proof of theories...

if man was created on the sixth day, who was around to see what happened of the first five eh?.... therefore the scientific case for creationism cannot be proven..... God could have made it all up..... it's that damn cat in a box all over again!!

however where creationists have missed a trick in my book is asking the question ....

What and who caused the big bang??...
and
Where did all those dimensions come from??

#ni-1 #ni-1

KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:

and

Wink
belenus
Prince
Prince

Location: Pale blue dot (Aviles, Asturies, Spain, Europe, Eurasia, North of Africa, South of Arctic....)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

belenus wrote:

ROFLMAO!!!

that said...

As science is based around observational proof of theories...

if man was created on the sixth day, who was around to see what happened of the first five eh?.... therefore the scientific case for creationism cannot be proven..... God could have made it all up..... it's that damn cat in a box all over again!!

however where creationists have missed a trick in my book is asking the question ....

and

#ni-1 #ni-1

Perhaps the day man answers those questions will become god..... Anyway, they are beyond my reachness, and, as far as I know, are still far away from today's science. But man has made big inventions and great explorations since our first ancestor left mdern Africa and colonized the world. Maybe some day we will surprise ourselves.

Something I have found and agree with:
http://www.nap.edu/html/creationism/

P.D. as for your question, I remember having read some years ago taht big bang was caused by a fluctuation of energy, though i really can't understand it... There was not matter (well...), there was no space (uffff... ok, there were no dimensiosn also...... too much for me)
And about dimensions, how many of them are? 4, 10, 26....? Really intriguing. I would really love to understand a little more...

Crying or Very sad
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with anyones religious beliefs. I have a problem with them trying to convince me that their religious beliefs follow the tenets of science when nothing could be further from the truth. I especially have a problem when such drivel replaces science in the classroom (and yes, it's happening again).

Don't get me wrong, but the LAST time there was a group of people openly discrediting the church like this, the incident rate of people falling into a pile of rope, getting tied up, and spontaneously catching on fire markedly increased.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Tenebra
Prince
Prince

Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim of a Galaxy far far away

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support science and hope that this travesty ends. Creationism? What a joke! I've had enough with religions and the "know-it-all" attitude of priests and what have you! When in fact, those people should really get an education! I am horrified by the thought that this might cause another Middle Ages, and especially given various churches and religious beliefs' power in governments and such like.

My Greek Blog: The Dark Side of the Force and Other Stories
My English Blog: Snippets and Other Stories from the Net
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no. This is going to become ugly soon.....

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
Oh no. This is going to become ugly soon.....

No, it won't. Smile

Well ... not here anyway. The essential ugliness of the debate at large, where BOTH sides ignore the real issue in favor of whacking each other over the head with the biggest argument they can find, will no doubt continue. (There's an old thread around here where I spend far too much time stating my opinions on the matter, so I won't repeat myself here.)

I take it as given that faith has a value in and of itself. There are people who take the discoveries of science to be an attack on their values, when in fact science can do no such thing. Trying to use science to validate your faith is just plain looney. Wink

ni! i!u
belenus
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't want to have any arguments. I think we post and read here to have a good time, and not to take part in futile disagreements.
Just say taht I find disappointing to hear (as in Sir Hamster's link) that, still nowadays, someone with an education and easy acces to different kinds of information, rejects scientific knolewdge for his or her religious beliefs, which I mostly respect.

Once again, I'm sorry that my bad English may cause any misunderstanding.

NnnnnnnnnnnnI
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

belenus wrote:

Once again, I'm sorry that my bad English may cause any misunderstanding.

NnnnnnnnnnnnI

I don't think you've caused any misunderstandings Sir Belenus... everyones sitting on your side of the fence Very Happy .....

the real question for me is where does science end and faith start? even scientists are calling string theory a "faith" as there's absolutely no way of proving or disproving it......

anyhow to get some discussion going mull this one over (I'm NOT a creationist BTW)....

"big bang was caused by a fluctuation of energy"

"let there be light!"

scientific fact light = energy

my point is there's absolutely no way of knowing what happended BEFORE the big bang so speculating what was there is purely faith and NOT science......

Now I've a few witches to burn, so I may be some time answering any other posts....

#ni-1

belenus
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the real question for me is where does science end and faith start? even scientists are calling string theory a "faith" as there's absolutely no way of proving or disproving it......

But, don't you think Sir Brian C......., that, at least, string theory comes from a developed study of physics, and that makes it a bit different from palinly "faith"?
For me, the truth is that string theory is not just "faith", but something I can't simply understand. I try to, but I lack a certain basis.

my point is there's absolutely no way of knowing what happended BEFORE the big bang so speculating what was there is purely faith and NOT science......

I agree with you. No way it came from a "fluctuation of energy" or a previous big crunch, conditions may have been very different before, and perhaps it's not possible to rewind time(?) from that singularity...... Smile
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... the real question for me is where does science end and faith start?

That answer requires liberal amounts of one of the rarest substances in the universe ...

... Wisdom ...

... and alcohol Shocked

That answer requires liberal amounts of two of the rarest substances in the universe ... (etc. etc.) Wink

ni! i!u
JONB
Prince
Prince

Location: Cranham (Near Reykjavik but not as close as Bedford) UK

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an atheist, as I see it, religion is man's way of explaining the otherwise inexplicable. So logically as knowledge increases religion diminishes!

And if religion is the "true way" how come there are so many and that they are so different, and they all want to kill each other??

Don't throw things at me!! I am tolerant of other peoples' beliefs, if they want to talk to non existant skyfairies, then they all have a right to!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: