KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

150 million BOINC combined for KWSN
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> The Bragging Yard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
Sir Papa Smurph wrote:
mohrorless wrote:
Unless I can find a way to borg a couple of machines at my "alternate" location, I'm stuck where I am for a while machinewise

Install as a service ( must have a password. ) then in administrative tools, bring up "services", double click boinc and go to the tab "log on", change to a Local System account. ( do not allow it to interact with Desktop ). Make sure that RPC is enabled. Delete your Passworded account. I recommend that you use an account manager in case you want to add or delete projects. I have heard that there is a way to prevent it from showing up in the Process list, But I don't know how to do that.
#ni-1

The machines I had in mind have people using them all day, 'cause the machines are on their desks. If I thought I could actually pull it off, I would consider it.

you could set them up so that they only run over nught..

set
Do work while computer is in use? to NO

and then

Do work only between the hours of 18:00 to 08:00

and finally

Leave applications in memory while suspended? to NO

They''ll never suss....

#ni-1

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're left on at night just set it to run when idle.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't guarantee that they would be left on at night & I would have to attempt to install everyting while they are actually at their desks, not to sure that would happen. No, I will stick with what I have...for now. IF the opportunity pops up at a later date, then it will leap on it like a might rabbit, with big fangs

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
I couldn't guarantee that they would be left on at night & I would have to attempt to install everyting while they are actually at their desks, not to sure that would happen. No, I will stick with what I have...for now. IF the opportunity pops up at a later date, then it will leap on it like a might rabbit, with big fangs

if they're XP Pro machines you can remote desktop into thier machines from your PC using the admin id... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink #ni-1

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you put them on SETI don't forget the optimized app.

I finally optimized the old P4 1.3GHz in my farm. With about 10 minutes of run-time it's chopped the estimated (total, not remaining) time down from 17hrs 7mins to 16hrs 10mins on a work unit that was already 58% done. Every minute (when BoincView updates) the estimated completion time drops 2 minutes or so.

The next work unit it has queued is estimating 19:40:02. It'll be interesting to see how long that one actually takes (kind've why I mentioned it, so I have a record and will remember to check hehe).

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
mohrorless wrote:

if they're XP Pro machines you can remote desktop into thier machines from your PC using the admin id... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink #ni-1

You are presuming that I have the admin password to their machnies (I don't). They are all paranoid programmers like I am, so I know the passwords would have been changed to prevent the network devils from rtmoting into the machines to install stuff. Shocked

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
mohrorless wrote:

You are presuming that I have the admin password to their machnies (I don't). They are all paranoid programmers like I am, so I know the passwords would have been changed to prevent the network devils from rtmoting into the machines to install stuff. Shocked

ah....

Borging other users machines who knowq what they're doing is a bit risky for the career !! Laughing Laughing Laughing

you could try the assinilation route... try getting them to boinc themselves and join the kanights....

#ni-1 #ni-1

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borging other users machines who knowq what they're doing is a bit risky for the career !! Laughing Laughing Laughing

you could try the assinilation route... try getting them to boinc themselves and join the kanights....

#ni-1 #ni-1

There is one silly enought to join the knights, unfortunately he isn't quite the BOINCing type... Sad

And you have to consider that I sit within 15 to 20 feet of these people....AND work with them, it dies not bode well for the career.... Confused

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pooh Bear 27 wrote:
My garden is getting a little heaftier. I've swapped out 2 machines, and a 3rd one is also being swapped.

P4 Xeon 1.5G became a Core 2 Duo E6400 (2.13G)
P4 2.8G HT laptop became a Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.0G)

The next one is:
P4 1.8G is going to be a Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4G)

Ahh, the fun of upgrading!

A "little" heftier? Good grief! That's some pretty hefty hardware.

IMNSHO, that already qualifies as a "farm", if only by virtue of the number (and quality) of cores you already have online
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerWA wrote:
Yeah, I hear you. Even the uber QX6700 I want to build is a drop in the bucket compared to what we'd need to hold our ground indefinitely, let alone take another spot. That's why I keep talking about recruiting, we need more people that's all there is to it. We're actually doing really well considering how few "heavy hitters" we have relative to the rest of the top 10 teams.

Agreed. We are successful as a community, and we can be proud of that. If all (or even most) of us turned into total credit whores, we could probably pull away in the team standings and never look back.

The thing is, we're not a bunch of credit whores (crazy - yes, whorish - no) - we do this because we believe in it.

Rather than make myself crazy about this, I've decided that what we can do is what we can do.

In the next week or two I am planning to start working on replacing the Celery 400 with a Pentium III 600 I have lying around gathering dust. Big deal 23 RAC gets upgraded to maybe 50 or so RAC (unless I'm overly pessimistic about how much more productive the Pentium is than the Celery). I also have a Pentium III 733 (which has proven to be flaky in the past, though I think it will perk up with better cooling), that's next in line. I've even figured out how I might get "Server Beast", my 100+ pound hotswap and redundant everything NetFinity server put online sooner rather than later. The latter is only 550 MHz Pentium III, but it has four of them (and they're Xeons), and plenty of RAM. I know L2 cache (which I don't think even Xeons of that era have a whole lot of) and sheer processing power count the most, especially on things like SETI. Still, I'm hoping for some decent RAC out of that rig, even once it is working as a network file server (as it will eventually).

Heck, I might even be able to use the same trick to get my son's Sempron box hooked up sooner than later, using the same trick.

In any case, what I can do with the resources I have available is what I can do. Making myself crazy about not having the money to spend on a large, C2D farm isn't going to accomplish anything beyond making myself crazy.

I've continued researching the concept I call the "CyberHydra" - which is basically multiple, low-power, Borged mobos somehow stacked up in the same (either hacked or fabricated) case. As it turns out, Abit has a very capable, AM2 socket, micro ATX mobo. There seems to be exactly one "35W" AM2 X2 processor (which was still available, last time I looked), though there are a number of "65W" rated X2 CPUs too (this is in contrast to the "110W" rating on my single core, "San Diego" chip)

There are also AMD's "Geode" CPUs (their answer to the very low power VIA chips). These only run at about 1.4 MHz, only have MMX (I think), but hardly use any power at all. I think they are rated something ridiculous like "14W". The thing is, the mobos aren't very plentiful (hence not cheap on ebay), and I think even a "65W" X2 would probably do more RAC per watt, even without fully AMD-optimized apps.

When will I actually be able to start building this beast? Who knows. It's just fun to think about.

At any rate, you have a really good point about recruiting. How to accomplish that is another matter I don't even have any real ideas on how to do that.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:
Unless I can find a way to borg a couple of machines at my "alternate" location, I'm stuck where I am for a while machinewise

I hear ya! As previously mentioned, I would love to enlist the Pentium D 3GHz at work as a shrubber, and it would instantly get me in about 17 kinds of trouble if I did so.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mohrorless wrote:

You are presuming that I have the admin password to their machnies (I don't). They are all paranoid programmers like I am, so I know the passwords would have been changed to prevent the network devils from remoting into the machines to install stuff. Shocked

Well, there's always the direct approach. Are any of the C programmers? Could they be interested on the basis of hacking the apps to make them more efficient while still maintaining accuracy?

I find the SETI screensaver to be soothing. Maybe they would like to run that to calm their nerves, and have the app bail out when they are using their computers. #ni-2
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd M. wrote:
Agreed. We are successful as a community, and we can be proud of that. If all (or even most) of us turned into total credit whores, we could probably pull away in the team standings and never look back.

The thing is, we're not a bunch of credit whores (crazy - yes, whorish - no) - we do this because we believe in it.

Rather than make myself crazy about this, I've decided that what we can do is what we can do.
And that's why I say we should recruit. We rock as a team, and I think we could benefit from some people looking for a new team that's fun and involved.

I'm not saying we should all kill ourselves to make farms, that's just incidental. Like my own farm, it was more being in the right place than anything else. I only own 2 of the rigs in my farm, the majority of the rest (and the other 2 Core2's that make up the backbone) belong to my room-mates. Will I have access to them forever? Probably not. I'm fairly certain I will have a new 4 core online before I lose the two 2 cores, so at least I won't drop any output when it happens. Anywho, just saying that it's a constant process of adding and removing machines, not buying them hehe. I'm poor, I can't afford any new machines right now. Another reason I say recruit, people already have machines, it's cheaper to recruit them than to buy their PCs hehehe.

On a more positive note, remember how I mentioned the 19 hour workunit above? Done in 5:14:08. That's such a wild drop in time (from 19 hours!) I'm going to wait until that work unit validates before celebrating too much. No errors on the client site though. And I thought a 40% decrease in time was uber on my Core2.

Edit: And here's the validated results. Less than half the time for a WU of similar credits. From now on any old machines I borg are going on SETI. The optimized client totally makes them worth it hehe.

mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloyd M. wrote:
Well, there's always the direct approach. Are any of the C programmers? Could they be interested on the basis of hacking the apps to make them more efficient while still maintaining accuracy?

I find the SETI screensaver to be soothing. Maybe they would like to run that to calm their nerves, and have the app bail out when they are using their computers. #ni-2

No hackers, that I know of anyway Rolling Eyes . Not really much in the C world either. Granted I am in the PC/Web programming group, but we are doing our work in asp.net, VB 2005 and Cold Fusion. I don't think that we will be stepping into C at all. There was talk of doing Java, but I think that was the higher ups doing all talk to justify the purchase of the Z boxes when we had nothing that could run on them. Rolling Eyes

I might be able to talk to a couple some of the people to see if they want to Boinc. There is one guy that it would not take any time to get him to do it (especilally if he found out about the KWSN - he would jump to it). THey only problem is that he is a major a$$h0le and most of the office wants to kill him. I would have to actually kill him if he joined the team and found this forum - he would ruin it for me.

#Usa

Taunter in Training

Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> The Bragging Yard All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: