KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mega-Shrubber on its way........-- errr maybe not!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> The Bragging Yard
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that many processes running simultaneously, I wonder if Cache hitting or memory hitting is causing issues? I know it's not using much more than 1/2G, but there might be something there. Also is the memory paired or single? Just trying to think what else could help.

Lloyd M.
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
Finally........

IT LIVES.... IT LIVES...... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

its getting hooked up to boinc after windowsupdate does it's SP2 stuff....

#ni-1 #ni-1

Smokin'! Congrats!
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pooh Bear 27 wrote:
With that many processes running simultaneously, I wonder if Cache hitting or memory hitting is causing issues? I know it's not using much more than 1/2G, but there might be something there. Also is the memory paired or single? Just trying to think what else could help.

I think it might be memory/cache related... the mobo manual is really unclear how to install the dimms.... I have two dual ranked 1GB dimms and can't work out whether to put them in as Bank#1 & Bank#2 or Bank#1 & bank#3.

The dual dell 5120 which has four single ranked 512gb dims specifies Bank#1 & Bank#2 as one set and Bank#3 and Bank #4 as the other set ....

I might swap out the memory between machines, to see if that helps...

I've also noticed that thw single 6300 is quicker than the dual 5120. and the dual 5320 is slower still... note this is only apparent with the optimised apps... that standard seti app seems to have pretty consistent performance accross processors & the benchmarks are also cinsistent....

....thinks.....

I seem to remember an issue I had with crunchers optimised app a long time ago with dual core machines...

http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5896

with the performance degredation scaling up with the number cores this seems strangley familiar.....

I might post something on Chicken's lunaitcs.at forum.......

Ni !

KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
Pooh Bear 27 wrote:

I think it might be memory/cache related... the mobo manual is really unclear how to install the dimms.... I have two dual ranked 1GB dimms and can't work out whether to put them in as Bank#1 & Bank#2 or Bank#1 & bank#3.

The dual dell 5120 which has four single ranked 512gb dims specifies Bank#1 & Bank#2 as one set and Bank#3 and Bank #4 as the other set ....

I might swap out the memory between machines, to see if that helps...

I've also noticed that thw single 6300 is quicker than the dual 5120. and the dual 5320 is slower still... note this is only apparent with the optimised apps... that standard seti app seems to have pretty consistent performance accross processors & the benchmarks are also cinsistent....

....thinks.....

I seem to remember an issue I had with crunchers optimised app a long time ago with dual core machines...

http://www.kwsnforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=5896

with the performance degredation scaling up with the number cores this seems strangley familiar.....

I might post something on Chicken's lunaitcs.at forum.......

Ni !

hmm.... found this on Chicken's site.......

http://lunatics.at/windows/core-2-qx6700-ssse3-crunching-time.0.html

hmmm..... I'll see whether 2x1gb dual ranked is better than 4x512mb single ranked.........

JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, from that thread it sounds like memory bandwidth is a killer. I'd think 4x something would be best (dual dual channel if the MB supports it) but I think 2GB isn't enough. What got my attention the most is the memory they're using to support those overclocks, it's incredible stuff (way over what I had planned in my build).

One I saw mentioned specifically was this stuff:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145169

That stuff is $130 more per 2GB than the (what I thought was expensive) memory on my build list. Yikes.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the issue is with L2 cache coherency........

as the intel quads are in effect dual duals and so do not share the L2 cache across all four cores but the two "clusters" of two cores have 4mb each.... what happens is that to maintain coherency the cache has to be identical across all four (in a dual proc machine) clusters as the execution thread jumps from one core to another, so the cache has to be copied across clusters.....

This goes to show that the core 2 architecture isn't as horizontally scalable as intel would have you believe!!!! So much for Intels 72 core chip!!!

I think CPU affinity should minimize this but I don't know of any v5.x Boinc manager that enables this, I remember that a v4 client did this. anyone know of such a client?

Ni!

Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is.......

apparently crunch3r's back in the optimisation fold......

http://calbe.dw70.de/

#ni-1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> The Bragging Yard All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: