KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gforce 6800 vs. 7300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject: gforce 6800 vs. 7300 Reply with quote

I need a gaming nerd to answer this:

If I replace a 6800 GT with a 7600 GS (both in an AGP slot), what can I expect in performance difference?

The 7600 ticks at 400 MHz compared to the 350 MHz for the 6800, but I think the number of pixel pipelines is larger on the 6800. You think it would be worth it?

I mainly want the 7600 because I can get the fan-less card from Gigabyte (I would enjoy the silence). Does anyone have any experience with the Gainward GeForce 7800GS SilentFX Golden Sample? Is that one actually quiet?

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=110162

I just got a 6800GT cheap a couple of months ago Sad . I'm not a gamer, but I have an app that wouldn't run on my 9600XT card and I thought the 6800 would extend the life of my 'puter. Given that the 'puter is AGP, I wouldn't do it. Besides, you need to save your money for an engagement ring for Sven Confused .
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I would be willing to pay the money just to get a quiet and fan-less card, but I don't want to get a slower card...
The card I'm looking at is a 7600GS, and the one in the link you provided is a 7600GT, and I would think the GS is a bit slower. Now I'm all undecided Sad

KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mildew wrote:
Hmmm, I would be willing to pay the money just to get a quiet and fan-less card, but I don't want to get a slower card...
The card I'm looking at is a 7600GS, and the one in the link you provided is a 7600GT, and I would think the GS is a bit slower. Now I'm all undecided Sad

what's the reason for an nvidia card

take a look at these ATi's

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?SAP-X16U

there's alos an Ultimate equivalent version of my card
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/355

#ni-1

Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no specific reason for nvidia. I just haven't found an ATi card without a fan. The one you have in that link looks nice, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is it very new, or just not available on the Swedish market? We're a bit behind here you know... Rolling Eyes

Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mildew wrote:
There is no specific reason for nvidia. I just haven't found an ATi card without a fan. The one you have in that link looks nice, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is it very new, or just not available on the Swedish market? We're a bit behind here you know... Rolling Eyes

They still make video cards without fans? even most the top end geforce's have fans now.

RealWorld test in Frame Rates
http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics.html

from the looks of it your only going to get a extra 10fps..
Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great link! Thanks Cohiba Very Happy

Unfortunately, it seems that moving from a 6800 to a 7600 would mean losing quite a bit in performance. I don't think I'm ready for that. Looks like I'll have to live with a large electric bill and a noisy living room to keep having a good gaming experience Wink

I'm a bit surprised since I thought the 7k series would all be faster than the 6k series. Oh well.

#ni-1

alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another child never growing up, play until you die. Didn't your Dad tell you not to buy toys, you have your own? Get with the program!! Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes Wink
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those letters, GT vs GS, mean a lot.
Eaving
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Realizing I'm responding to an old thread here, but I'm playing catch up around the place. I'm looking into building an HTPC at the moment(which will be able to shrub in its idle time as well Wink and have a couple good places to suggest looking for silent/quiet parts

http://www.silentpcreview.com/
http://www.htpcnews.com/

Both sites have a good set of reviews and active forums if you have questions the reviews don't cover. I'm debating between a 7300 and a 7600 myself Mildew, both silent. The 7600 is a hair more powerful but I don't really game and am just looking for HD output. Basically figure either way I'm buying an HCDP card in a year or so when I can justify getting a blu-ray drive.
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I originally started this thread, the 6800 card has gone to the big huntinggrounds, or (more likely) some big heap of electronics garbage in China... Rolling Eyes
The fan broke down, and the card melted away in two seconds. Sad

Anyway, for numerous reasons I didn't want to put up the cash for a new card right then, so I got a seriously inexpensive 6200 card instead. Those things are practically free! Very Happy
I can still play half-life 2 on it, but now I'm running 800x600 instead of the 1600x1200 resolution I used to be able to run in.

The development of fan-less graphics cards has been pretty big over the last six months, so now there are a whole bunch of cards to choose from, and you can even get the top models with silent cooling.

Eaving
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basically playing the budget vs needs game. I want to put together a near silent home theater system that will blend nicely into my entertainment cabinet on a semi-restricted budget. Means I'm putting a larger percentage of my budget into the case and quiet fans than Id normally be worrying about. Beyond that I can't find any reason to spring for a blu-ray drive until the format war is more or less decided(I know who I expect to win, but at $600 for a drive right now I'm in no hurry) so I'm saving dollars on the video figuring I'll be replacing next Xmas anyway.

I do have to say looking for parts paying attention to power consumption rather than computer power per dollar is a big change of pace though.
Cries like a little girl
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are building a new machine and video is going to be the main reason you simply must get a DX-10 card. Anything less is just a waste of money as you will have to buy it later. I know they are expensive and no one can benchmark them but I can't see how you could do anything less.
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for near-silent, you do not necessarily have to go fanless.

One option is to use an adapter to replace the little bitty fan on the graphics card that has to spin at umpteen bajillion RPM to flow air with a great big honkin fan. For example, I think most graphics card fans are flowing probably 10 cfm or less, but using a 20-30mm fan to do it. If you replace it with a standard 80mm case fan, 20cfm is childs play. Something you can accomplish with a silent fan, in fact, and still be cooling better than you were before.

Considerations: It will look ugly and require a molex power plug in somewhere. Good fans aren't cheap, but they're cheaper than the next option...

Option 2 is to use a heatpipe setup, similar to these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835118216
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835109134

Considerations: Installation can be a PITA, and some people aren't comfortable taking stuff off their graphics cards hehe. You also must have a fan on them, no matter what the manufacturer claims, otherwise you run the risk of cooking the card if something goes wrong or isn't setup just right. But, you can use a silent fan (often a large case fan, like the 92mm in the 2nd link above) set on a thermal switch so that it only runs when necessary.

Option 3 is to use water cooling. Again, not truely silent because you will need fans on the radiator, but a lot quieter than normal fans. Unfortunately it's also the most expensive, and most intensive to install, and the only one that involves maintenance on a regular basis hehe.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
jbyram2
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd blow the dust off of an old link, and try My old home., Futuremark.com.

They have a lot of benchmark results from everyone who submitted them, and you should get some idea how the two cards compare.

EDIT: DOH! answered an old question, but the answer is still good.

The brain I'm wearing makes me eat chocolate and cry!!
Something Completely different
Eaving
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking a short range/long range view on the video. I'm buying a card that can handle hd out currently and will upgrade in a year or so to a DX10 card that is fully HDCP compliant around about when I get a blu-ray drive(Or hd-dvd if things break that way but I'm pretty confident the worlds going to go Blu-ray). I simply can't justify the cost of a DX10 card to myself when the HDCP support is looking pretty sketchy right now. The cost of an inexpensive card today plus a decent dx10 in a year combined Im pretty confident wont be any more than simply buying the dx10 today, and it frees up that money for other components at the moment.
I know I cant run a totally silent system but by carefully setting up the airflow and purchasing a couple of Nexus 92mm fans I should be able to get pretty close, Ill let everyone know how it goes whenever I actually scrape together the final dollars to get the parts ordered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: