KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Micromanaging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Micromanaging Reply with quote

Do you micromanage your projects? If so why? What do you micromanage?

I am one of those who mostly set and forget. I feel the software does the job, I sit back, and maybe some day I will reap the benefits of something my computer had processed.

I just see a lot of people complain on the different project forums about this one is no longer downloading, and this one is downloading too much, etc. Then when you sit and gather information, you find out they have been micromanaging and causing their own issues.

I want to learn why people who do micromanage, what benefit they see from it, and find out what gains there are. Currently all I see are negatives from it.

ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually don't. Sometimes when LHC has a spurt of work I will suspend other projects to get a few more work units or finish them up quicker. However just yesterday I found out that my linux box hadn't been crunching for almost a week because rosetta had done its classic "I'm going to run but not really" trick. I really should monitor the load average and have it text message my phone if it goes below 1 Smile

But yes, I agree that some problems are caused by people spending too much time looking at their manager. They start seeing problems where there aren't any and try to fix it and just make things worse.
JerWA
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to fiddle and watch what it's doing, but I usually leave it alone as far as what it's running. I do wonder what logic it's using though, especially when it's trying to figure out how to do a 3-way division of time with 2 CPUs and 3 projects lol. It ends up with 6-8 WU's paused and just leaves them for a day or more while it does other WU's that are due sooner. If you look at my credits/day you can see what I mean, when it goes from 1800 one day to 2800 the next (when all those paused WU's finish and upload).

I've had a project hang before, saying it was running but not actually doing anything. Without checking what all the machines were doing (made easy with things like BoincView) it could have gone unnoticed for awhile like MacG said.

Stats: [BOINC Synergy] - [Free-DC] - [MundayWeb] - [Netsoft] - [All Project Stats]
Tenebra
Prince
Prince

Location: Somewhere in the Outer Rim of a Galaxy far far away

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I check it out once/twice per day since the PCs they run are also used for other purposes. I just want to know that everything is proceeding fine and that there are no problems from my end. Also check to see if there is work from some projects that usually have work once in a while (like LHC and Pirates). I do not micromanage, I don't like to.

My Greek Blog: The Dark Side of the Force and Other Stories
My English Blog: Snippets and Other Stories from the Net
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't tend to micromanage. I do however look in on the Boinc manager every so often to see how it is doing and to make sure that no problems have popped up. If I see that a WU is finished, then I get it sent up then (no sense in it hanging around anymore).

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

larry1186
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't micromanage, but more like micro-CEO. I like to see what the host is doing, I don't really understand in great detail what each project is doing but enough to keep me interested. Watching the stats is fun, getting excited about big days. Also, like others have pointed out, it's frustrating to find a host just sitting there saying it's working but it actually isn't which can be remedied as soon as possible by keeping at least one eye on it, and the other eye making sure Sir Giant-Crater-In-Pants Shocked doesn't do any sneaking up on me. If there's work on the intermittent projects (LHC and SIMAP for me) while I'm at it, I'll allow them to snag some work.

I find it difficult to "set and forget" cuz the projects are so dang neat I can't forget about them.
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

larry1186 wrote:
................. and the other eye making sure Sir Giant-Crater-In-Pants Shocked doesn't do any sneaking up on me.

You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? Then who the hell else are you talking... you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here Mad .

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus
mohrorless
Mail Order Goat Bride
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larry1186 wrote:
I don't micromanage, but more like micro-CEO.

Laughing That's it give yourself a title! Does it pay well?

#Usa

Keeper of the Unending keg of PGGBs
Taunter in Training
Campaign Manager for Sir Shrubbery

Plus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: