KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The sun had sisters, by a Looney

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Hamster of Elderberry
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: The sun had sisters, by a Looney Reply with quote

Not only is this interesting, but the author being interviewed is actually named "Looney". It's not my fault if he spells his name wrong. Wink

ni! i!u

Copied from: http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/space/10/25/sun.sisters/index.html

Space.com wrote:
In formative years, the sun had sisters
POSTED: 12:20 p.m. EDT, October 25, 2006
By Robin Lloyd
Special to SPACE.com

(SPACE.com) -- The sun had sisters when it was born -- hundreds to thousands of them, according to new research.

And at least one was a supernova, providing further support for the idea that there could be lots of planets around other stars since our solar system emerged in such an explosive environment.

"We know that the majority of stars in our galaxy were born in star clusters," said Leslie Looney, who arrived at the solar sibling finding along with his colleagues at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

"Now we also know that the newborn solar system not only arose in such a cluster, but also survived the impact of an exploding star. This suggests that planetary systems are impressively rugged and may be common in even the most tumultuous stellar nurseries."

The evidence for the solar sisters was found in daughters -- such as decayed particles from radioactive isotopes of iron -- trapped in meteorites, which can be studied as fossil remnants of the early solar system.

These daughter species allowed Looney and his colleagues to discern that a supernova with the mass of about 20 suns exploded relatively near the early sun when it formed 4.6 billion years ago; and where there are supernovas or any massive star, you also see hundreds to thousands of sun-like stars, he said.

The cluster of thousands of stars dispersed billions of years ago due to a lack of gravitational pull, Looney said, leaving the sisters "lost in space" and our sun looking like an only child ever since, he said.

The research will be detailed in the Astrophysical Journal.

The finding also has exciting implications for life in other solar systems, Looney said, since most stars are born in clusters.

"If our favorite planet, Earth, was born in the nasty environment of a cluster, with the increased radiation and gravitational effects, then the majority of stars could also have planets," Looney told SPACE.com. "Not only have planets, but have planets where terrestrial life can occur."

Astronomers now should focus more attention on how planets form in clusters, he said. "It may be easier to form planets than we expected," he said.

When massive stars explode and go supernova, they create radioactive isotopes that are blown outward and mix with nebular gas and dust as they condense into stars and planets. In the case of our solar system, that means some of the isotopes were trapped in the rocks that hardened to form the early solar system.

Meteorites are remnants of those rocks, so they contain the radioactive offspring, or daughter species, of the isotopes created by the supernova.

Looney and his colleagues used measured abundances of the daughter species to calculate that the supernova sibling was about 0.32 to 5.22 light-years from the sun. The closest star system to the sun today is Alpha Centauri at 4.36 light-years.

"The supernova was stunningly close," said Looney's co-author Brian Fields. "Our solar system was still in the process of forming when the supernova occurred."

Copyright © 1999-2006 SPACE.com, Inc.

Here's another article, with a picture of Looney himself! Very Happy http://www.news.uiuc.edu/news/06/1004solar.html
Fart in your gen direxion
I am the goatse.cx guy
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Hamster of Elderberry wrote:
.......said Leslie Looney

Flatulenty yours,

Sir Fart

The Prince of Noxious Fumigations
The Earl of Eruption
The Baron of Breaking Wind
The Marquis of the Malodorous
The Monarch of Methane
Loony Emeritus
Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

Have another look at the photo. I can see only two people and yet there are three names listed.

Now that's what I call a looney photo.

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
A/C
Baron
Baron

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle wrote:
Laughing

Have another look at the photo. I can see only two people and yet there are three names listed.

My god you're right! Surprised Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Science News and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: