KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2nd computer, running command line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hammarlund
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: 2nd computer, running command line Reply with quote

I have a second computer that I plan to run BOINC on, #ni-2. Is there anything special I need to watch out for, or can I just start the client using the cross project identifier number I when I first started?

I'll be running the second box headless, from the command line, and might have some other questions about that after a bit. Both boxes are running Ubuntu. Any command line knights about?
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 2nd computer, running command line Reply with quote

hammarlund wrote:
Any command line knights about?

I started to run away when you mentioned linux!!!!

Laughing Laughing Laughing

#ni-1

hammarlund
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running on Linux with a monitor and gui is at least as easy as with windows. Wink

The boss said it was ok to hook another monitor up to the other box to make this easier, but I would start to feel like I look like Neuman in Jurassic Park (without the light bulb and candy bars).

I found a nice Debian wiki about running on command line to work with. May be able to contribute to the how-to once I'm done with this.

Not sure about running a second computer on the same BOINC account. I assume it's ok, using the same id etc. No replies from anyone else running multiple boxes though. Sad
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I run BOINC from command line in Linux I have not attached to any projects from command line. If you want to have the flexibility to attach/unattach from several projects I recommend you set up an account with Bam.

Once the "headless" box is set up I run the "run_client" command with -allow_remote_gui_rpc. Of course you need to set up the password for the box ahead of time. Then you can let it run and manage it from the other machine (I usually use one of my Windows boxes to do that).

Good Luck!
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had problems not being able to connect to the gui with the run_client I haven't been able to resolve yet.

But, I did figure out how to run vncserver on the remote box, and vncclent my local box, and running a remote X session. Then I could use the Boinc Manager to set up and run BOINC on the remote box.

The Boinc Manager appears to function like BAM (is it the same program?) that you linked to. I can add attach/detach to projects using it. I haven't been running the BOINC client until a week ago, and it's pretty new to me still.

I'll still work on the command line operation because I'd like to keep the running apps (X) to a minimum on this aging computer (and operator).
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple parts to getting the remote control working. One is the gui_rpc_auth.cfg file. It should contain a single line with a password in it. Or leave the file completely blank for no password. The first time you run the client it generates a random password in this file.

The other part is enabling remote administration. This can be done in 2 ways. One is what Javapersona mentioned, the -allow_remote_gui_rpc commandline parameter. This will allow any computer on the network to connect and administer BOINC (if the password matches of course). The other way is to explicitly tell it which computers are allowed to connect to it. This is done in a file called remote_hosts.cfg. List one IP or DNS name per line.

Once both of those parts are in place you should be able to use the "select computer" from the file menu on one machine to connect to another machine and administer it remotely.

And yes, you can have multiple computers on a given account. I have over 7 on mine. You can either attach to each individual project using your project username/password or use an account manager like BAM. I haven't tried an account manager yet so can't help you much there.
hammarlund
Knight
Knight

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on setting it up! I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN BOINC'ers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: