KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SETI@Home/BOINC T-Shirts with team logos!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: SETI@Home/BOINC T-Shirts with team logos! Reply with quote

As was noted over in the DC News forum, Seti@home is offering shirts for sale where teams can submit logos and have them printed up. We have talked about team shirts before... I figure now is as good a time as any.

There is an email address posted where people can submit team logos. Please do not go submit one right now! Lets come up with something in a somewhat sane fashion and have one person submit it in an orderly fashion, mkay? I realize this may be confusing to some of you but we are interacting with the outside world here Laughing

So anyway... Do we just want to use the logo we use here at the Orbiting Fortress or is there another logo that would work better?

Also, if we do use that logo, it should probably be altered to include our website and maybe some catchphrase. If you have suggestions, please post them here. If we get several entries, we can maybe do a poll or something. Remember these are going to be on black shirts. I may try to get more information about how many colors can be used, etc. Watch this space!
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as there is at least one alpaca and penguin I'll be happy. Ni!

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if we go with that logo, it's going to have to be recreated at a much larger resolution so it shows up on a t-shirt.
KWSN - Sir Brian C.......
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnyv wrote:
Even if we go with that logo, it's going to have to be recreated at a much larger resolution so it shows up on a t-shirt.

also will there be copyright implications? if boinc/seti are going to be making a profit, then whoeve owns the copyright to the film could get nasty.......

#ni-1

as for a catchphrase.

why not add a footnote so

The Knights who say... Ni!

are YOU loony/loonie/looney enough?

and add the #ni-1 smiley somewhere......

Mildew
KWSN ArchBishop
KWSN ArchBishop

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
...and add the #ni-1 smiley somewhere......

Having an animated gif on a t-shirt would be like the coolest thing ever!
I'd get one of those immediately Cool

#ni-1

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur?
Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mildew wrote:
KWSN - Sir Brian C....... wrote:
...and add the #ni-1 smiley somewhere......

Having an animated gif on a t-shirt would be like the coolest thing ever!
I'd get one of those immediately Cool

#ni-1

you could do it by having one of those heat sensitive transfers.....

Very Happy

Michelle
Moistened Bint
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Animated banging coconuts!

[img]http://www.katrinashome.com/KWSN_Michelle_counter.php[/img]
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or those holographic things that change depending on which direction you are looking at them from Smile

Ok well I don't see any submissions yet. I was going to take a stab at the forum logo last night when my internet died and I decided to go to bed instead. However jonnyv's comment about size may make things more difficult. I DO have a rip of the movie that I might be able to take an original screen shot from to use in a larger image. Or if someone else has a better idea... please don't hold back here!
KWSN imcrazynow
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the catch phrase?
"Go BOINC Yourself "

Twisted Evil #ni-1

And a few that won't update for some reason.

4870 GPU

Last edited by KWSN imcrazynow on Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pooh Bear 27
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not draw/design/etc. I just want my logo stuff!

Hurry up and make some decisions. (-:

#Scramble
Atomic Booty
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love doing that kind of stuff. This is a pretty busy week for me, but I'll try to whip up an entry before the weekend. Is there a deadline for teams submitting their design/logo to Seti (or Boinc or whoever's doing this for us!)? Also, are there size restrictions for text/graphics? Are we allowed space on both front and back of the shirt, or just one side only (and if so, which side)?

Just wonderin' #ni-2
A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or just one side only (and if so, which side)?

Yes, the INside. #ni-2

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess maybe I should have included a link so you can actually see the situation.
http://setiathome-store.com/seti-teams.html

As you can see, there are shirts and coffee mugs available. If you click on them you can get bigger pictues. Looks to me like the T-shirts have a big Seti@home logo on the front of them and then the back is where the custom team logo goes.

I have sent an email to the submission address on that page and passed on your questions as well as a couple of my own. I shall post back if/when I get a response.

This seems like a great idea but I'm not sure how well its execution is being handled. A problem with the "Team Germany" option on the shirts still hasn't been fixed and there seems to be very little information available. Surely we aren't the only ones with questions about logo size and such. Hope they get their act together Smile
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For reference, I recently created a shirt via Cafepress and they wanted a 2000x2000 pixel image for a 10 inch by 10 inch printable area.
ToeBee
KWSN Castellan
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did indeed get a reply! (emphasis added by me)

Quote:

Hello Toby,

Thanks for the inquiry and questions, I will be tweaking the Team pages of the site describing the process. It actually got posted on the site before I was ready, also I apologize for it being incomplete.

Basically, SETI@home forwarded me a few emails requesting this idea, and we came up with a plan to make it happen.

Quote:
How big can the logo be
- usually on a t-shirt the max width we use is 12 to 13", but we usually use 10.5 to 11" as it isn't too big on a small shirt or too small on a XXL shirt...just right for L and XL which is 80% or more of you. We can resize here if necessary. Resolution for 4-color process art should be at least 300dpi, preferably 600. You can convert that to pixels if you want to know the pixel dimensions. Send 4-color process art in photoshop .psd or .eps format. If your art is spot colors, we prefer illustrator format .ai or .eps, we can resize to any dimension without losing quality. I'll get a sample of 4-color process vs. spot colors for those who don't know by the weekend. Your logo looks to be 1-spot color (white letters) and 4-color process (image).

Quote:
It looks like the front of the shirt has a big seti@home logo on it and the back is where the team logo goes. Can we put things on the front as well in addition or even instead of the seti@home logo or is the front non-negotiable?

That online logo arrangement is a mock-up I did for SETI to approve, They would likely approve a different arrangement if requested by a team and yes you can add to the front....and I don't see a problem with the SETI logo being on the back with your logo on the front either.

Quote:
How long will this be available for?

I would say about 2 months, then, if your team has met the minimum, we would offer another product.

** Depending on your logo, your team may also choose another shirt color or mug.

** I am considering adding long sleeve as a choice as well but may hold off until we get things running smooth.

** As a bonus, SETI has offered a discount on the other store merchandise to team members if ordered with the shirt or mug. This was done to help balance out shipping costs to those who want items shipped to their home or office. I believe that will be 15%.

Please use this email and not the yahoo email, I will be removing that one soon.

Sincerely,

Jim
SETI Fulfillment
Trademark Promotions, Inc.

I kind of wondered if someone hadn't jumped the gun on posting a link. Several things just look "not quite done".

Anyway, there you have it. I am not really familiar with color/printing terminoligy so some of that went over my head but hopefully when he gets more information posted online, it will be clearer.
Atomic Booty
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was really cool of him to reply so quickly. Some of his answers have given me new questions too, but he has definitely given us enough to go on for now. And it also seems like we have quite a bit of latitude, which is great. I will play around with my graphics programs this weekend and see what I can come up with. Cool

The bigest problem I forsee is the size and quality of the main photo we use for the team. All the ones I've ever run across on the net are pretty small, and coupled with the dodgy film quality of The Holy Grail, (or anything circa 1975 for that matter) it makes it difficult to size them up without looking pixelated or blurry.

This leaves us a few options:

1. Screen capture new shots from the DVD and see if those pictures are more usable (We lent my copy to brother-in-law about 6 months ago, and still haven't gotten it back yet) Crying or Very sad So if any of you has some decent (preferrably larger and/or clearer) pics of the Knights Who Say Ni! or if you have the Holy Grail lying around and feel like taking some screen shots of our patriarchs in action... Razz please post them!

The erm... addendum I have to this option is about copyright infringement. I believe someone mentioned that earlier, and I think it is worth consideration. While technically I suppose they could start trouble if they really wanted to, they would have to know we existed first; and unless we really do discover extra-terrestrial intelligence, I don't think anyone over at Sony is going to notice their "property" on our SETI shirts. This is a small, nonprofit, (philanthropic even!) social club of sorts, and the unfortunate but relative obscurity of DC in general would probably rule out ever being noticed by someone who gave a rat's whisker. Just my opinion.

2. The alternative is of course to design a completely new graphic. This would require more work obviously (and creativity!) but I have seen some good stuff around, and I'm sure there's enough talent here that we could come up with something original, and even perhaps unique to our team.

Also, I really don't think it's necessary for the logo to have to take up the entire alloted space. Personally, I usually don't like it when t-shirts have large continuous pictures on them (especially on the front), because often all that ink/plastic/silkscreen stuff can be pretty thick, which makes it a little stiff, doesn't breathe well, and makes me sweat! But I digress... The space they're allotting us is nice, and I believe there are some design layouts that we could use to utilize it all; but if we want to use a picture from the movie, I think our best bet will probably end up being to scale the graphic down (well, up a bit from what it is now, but down from the max 10-11 in.), for the sake of both comfort and resolution.

Either way, I'll be posting something soon, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of you Krazy Kanniguts come up with. Consider yourselves all taunted. Ni!

#ni-2 #ni-2 #ni-2
Atomic Booty
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, do you think this thread might be better served in the Round Table? Not all of us Kni!ghts shrub for SETI (myself included), and might inadvertantly overlook this important announcement.

#ni-1
Sir Robin
Duke
Duke

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a good idea to move it over. Is there any other way we can get all members notified?

Sir Robin

Stop calling me 'she'
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote Atomic Booty should get the commission!...

Killerrabbit
Major Oblivion
Post Whore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should go through with this and convert all your colluages, one tsep closer to ruling the world.

Ni
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> KWSN S@H Team All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: