KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index KWSN Orbiting Fortress
KWSN Distributed Computing Teams forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Alpha
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:37 am    Post subject: Question for Alpha Reply with quote

Any tips on how to put some weight on my husky? Short of chopping her legs off.. She is so active, running around the back yard that she's losing weight again quickly.. Put her back on puppy food but i can't seem to get or keep her above 40lbs.
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, don't put her on puppy, to high in protein, put her on Euchanuba for Active dogs. Also give her some can food in between meals, scramble a egg twice a month, it keeps her coat shiny and clean. Also give her some extra foods at night when she isn't so active. Does she sleep in the house? If so this will work well, if not give her extra food. Husky's are runners and very active dogs, mine have finally slowed down and they are 12. Tell your Vet. she may have worms/parasites, they Vet. will have some good tips for you as well. Have them check her thyroid, it may be over active. Let me know how you make out, I will contact my Husky Breeder friends and get some advice from them. Good luck with your baby.
KWSN Sir CADCAM
hoser
hoser

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on... let the dog chase & catch a few cats.
It's good excercise and the cats are an excellent source of protein.

alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Sir CC, she doesn't need anymore exercise, she needs to chill out and relax. Now you stop being a bad boy.
jonnyv
Happy Fun Admin
KWSN Castellan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Cadcam's idea, but it would work better if you could lure the cats to the dog.
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats are to dumb, you can't lure them any place. #evil
klaatuborada
Yo ho! Post ho!
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, cats are too smart to fall for such hogwash.....

A Shrubbery
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe have the dog carry around a ball of string to lure cats?

KWSN - A Shrubbery
Shrubbing since 2000 for the KaNI!ghts.
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba, go here to my friends web page and read through her links for some help.

http://www.khovaki.com/
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpha_fruit wrote:
No, don't put her on puppy, to high in protein, put her on Euchanuba for Active dogs. Also give her some can food in between meals, scramble a egg twice a month, it keeps her coat shiny and clean. Also give her some extra foods at night when she isn't so active. Does she sleep in the house? If so this will work well, if not give her extra food. Husky's are runners and very active dogs, mine have finally slowed down and they are 12. Tell your Vet. she may have worms/parasites, they Vet. will have some good tips for you as well. Have them check her thyroid, it may be over active. Let me know how you make out, I will contact my Husky Breeder friends and get some advice from them. Good luck with your baby.

I free feed her as much as I can. Due to my living conditions thats not nearly as often as I like, since parents dogs are over weight and on weight control. Do give her a can of canned food a day when i can, i have to split the can half usually when i go home for lunch and the other half in the evening due to her sensative stomach. Last two times I've had her checked for worms and what not she comes back negative. The majority comes from her being a picky eater and extremly active. Vet actually recommended puppy food since its higher in callorie content.

Have yours ever blown there coat twice in one year? Mine had finished blowing her coat in June and I noticed mid July her winter coat was starting to come in already and she is already blowing that coat now.
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they have 2 blows a year and if your Vet said to give her puppy food, then by all means do that, also cook some rice and buy some canned chicken and give as a mid afternoon meal, feed her 3-4 smaller meals aday that may help. The rice and chicken will make any picky eater eat. Try and let me know how she does.
klaatuborada
Yo ho! Post ho!
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmmm, chicken and rice.... that sounds good....

Grawlfang
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for Alpha Reply with quote

Cohiba wrote:
Any tips on how to put some weight on my husky?

I find that a good quality cork inserted deeply into the approprate orifice works wonders Twisted Evil

Ni!
Fang

Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alpha,

You will be pleased to hear, as I was that Cheyenne was 41.2 lbs and the vet said she is in excellent health and that yes 41-40lbs is a good weight for her and that she isn't tooo skinny as I had feared. But as we were discussing Malamutes and Huskies she could understand my concern since Loki my last dog was a 90lb malamute who was built like a muscular brick. Who you couldn't feel the ribs like you can on Cheyenne but that my little speed demon is ment to be light and fast, but to keep doing what i have been doing since she did lose 3 lbs since her last visit but her weight is good.
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cohiba, I am so happy to hear that, Husky's are always on the thin side, as they use their food better than any other breed. Keep doing what you are doing and give her lots of treats. You did good.

My oldest has been sick since the weekend. Dealing with an older dog who has cancer is not a good way to live, he still seems happy and is eating again, so it is a wait and see thing.

Take care of yourself and Cheyenne.
Atomic Booty
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Huskies are not supposed to be erm... husky? Interesting.
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how quickly things change..

Yesterday I went home for lunch she ran up greeted me and ran back out into the back of the yard.. Ok she must have a squirrel up the tree again, didn't think anything of it went in had lunch, looked outside still no sign of her normally she'll be up laying by the door or on the patio. So i went out to see where she was. I see her laying on the ground tail just a wagging and staring very intently at something. I then realize she didn't have squirrel tree'd she caught the squirrel. Great 2nd kill in 2 weeks, last week it was a rabbit. Took care of the now dead squirrel that she played to hard with. She was waiting for it to get up and play some more but since it was dead that wasn't going to happen anytime soon. I went to go let her in the house. I then realised hey she's got blood on her face and paw, didn't look like the squirrel was in that bad of shape but not like i looked to closely at it. Took her over to the hose and started rinse the blood off only it didn't rinse off it started running off. The squirrel got her pretty good, her left eye the eyelid is completely torn in half vertically, her left leg has two nasty bite/claw wounds on it. They put three stitches in her eyelid, and two in each of the wounds on her leg, plus she got more shots. Neither me or the vet could believe that her eye was ok, that only the eye lid was damaged. I'm hoping she learned a lesson to not play with squirrels anymore but we'll see. So other than having a bandage on her leg, her face now looking like she was in a price fight with dried blood and stitches she is in good spirits. That and i keep getting the I hate you dad look from her since I'm forcing her to wear a buster collar when I'm not home so she can't scratch her eye or go after the stitches in her leg since she has managed to already pull one set of stitches out of her leg.
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta love those Husky's. They are a bit of small animal killers. The wolf hasn't left any husky. Maybe you need to put a small kennel outside to put her in when you are at work. A 20' x 20' kennel will keep her confined somewhat. I always did that with mine, now that we are retired we don't have to do that anymore.

Kiss your baby and wishing she gets well soon. Sad
Cohiba
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the thing is, is the parents watch her while i'm at work so my dad was home, but since she loves to be out in the back yard he didn't think anything of it. So its not like she was totally unsupervised just wasn't displaying any out of the ordinary behavior, you'd think with as bad as the cuts were she would have been crying, yelped or something..

Besides if the squirrels or rabbits come in the fence line its there own damn fault if she catches them.. With two irish setters and a husky you would think no animal would come close to the yard. Let alone try and run through it with a lightening fast husky around.
alpha_fruit
Prince
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are totally correct, they are fast as heck. Mine always caught moles, brought them in to me and went on his merry way.

Husky's will be husky's, glad she will be OK. Small rodents never learn, they always tresspass and some make it and some don't. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KWSN Orbiting Fortress Forum Index -> Ye Olde Help Scrolls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: